A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limp mode upon shift into second gear (intermittent)

Old 12-19-2013, 03:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp mode upon shift into second gear (intermittent)

As the title states, I have recently run afoul of my trans going into limp mode upon shifting into second gear. This happens under all types of conditions, but as stated, is intermittent. Every few times I'll start and drive it will it not do it, but seems to be few and far between. I had it at a transmission shop locally, but due to what the owner deemed (I'm assuming) too much diagnostic time, they basically turned me away. That's not to say this is a bad shop, it's an indie trans repair/rebuild shop (came well endorsed), and the guy was very knowledgeable about the 5HP24. However, without actually saying it, they told me they didn't want to take this on. Full disclosure: They've had it since 11/25, spoke to me on 12/6 to explain they were trying to figure out which solenoid was bad, and then last night telling me (out of the blue) to come pick it up, at no charge. So they did do some diagnosis, but couldn't follow through because they were too busy with other jobs.

That said, does anyone know of a reputable, reliable Audi transmission tech in the southeastern Wisconsin/northeast Illinois area that would take this job on?

I'm at my absolute end with this car. It's as if I've purchased the German version of Stephen King's "Christine." My wife wants it gone (at "whatever you can get for it"), and wants me to buy her dad's '06 Corolla CE, which I've been driving while waiting three weeks to hear they won't work on my car. All the work, time and money I've put into this car over the last 8 months are about to be for naught, if I can't find a means to an end.

Sorry to vent, but thank you to anyone who has any ideas or recommendations.
Old 12-19-2013, 04:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you scanned it for codes? It is 15 years old so a rebuild might not make much sense. What happens if you use tiptronic to skip 2nd gear and go to third gear and accelerate?
Old 12-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Scanned it...

Originally Posted by tozoM8
Have you scanned it for codes? It is 15 years old so a rebuild might not make much sense. What happens if you use tiptronic to skip 2nd gear and go to third gear and accelerate?
...here's what I found. Being an intermittent problem, I believe, has pretty much gone out the window. It goes into limp mode as soon as I switch it over to manual, or shift into Drive. Doesn't even give me a chance. Codes I found were:

Under the Auto Trans. Address:
17114 - Gear Ratio Monitoring P0730 - 35-00 Incorrect Gear Ratio.

Under the Engine Address:
18032 - MIL Request Signal Active (Check TCM for errors too!) P1624 - 35-10 Intermittent

When in the Auto Trans address, I can select a tab (name escapes me at the moment) that allows me to see different signals in real-time. I noticed that when I check the box to see trans gear, the value is always 5.

When I re-installed the engine after the rebuild, due to my own stupidity, I didn't install the TC into the trans correctly, destroyed the TC hub, and the trans oil pump. This same shop replaced the oil pump at that time, based on their diagnosis. I mention this, because the fault code I got when the car wouldn't move after reassembly, was the same code as current (17114).

I guess now that I've had a few minutes to think, I have the next week (possibly two) off of work since we are slow. This means I will have extra time to dedicate to trying to troubleshoot this myself, but I'm kind of a transmission dummy, so that's why I had it there in the first place.

I have only used the VCDS software for engine scans so far, so there is much for me to learn, as far as using it for effective diagnosis.
Old 12-19-2013, 07:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Also noticed...

...when shifting into Drive, it gives a fairly pronounced "thud" or hard shift, if you will. The more I research, the more I have reason to believe that this shop found something related to work previously performed by them, and want to pass it off as something they just don't have time for. I contacted the credit card issuer that I originally paid the bill with, and they said I can still dispute the charges from the original repair if I'd like. I really don't want to just start throwing accusations around, but I will if I run out of options.

My next move is going to be to take it to another transmission shop nearby, and see what they come up with, w/o giving them any back story on the vehicle. If they shy away after a few days of trying, then I might have an answer. If they come up with a solution, then I will be paying the original shop a visit.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Roboito
...when shifting into Drive, it gives a fairly pronounced "thud" or hard shift, if you will. The more I research, the more I have reason to believe that this shop found something related to work previously performed by them, and want to pass it off as something they just don't have time for. I contacted the credit card issuer that I originally paid the bill with, and they said I can still dispute the charges from the original repair if I'd like. I really don't want to just start throwing accusations around, but I will if I run out of options.

My next move is going to be to take it to another transmission shop nearby, and see what they come up with, w/o giving them any back story on the vehicle. If they shy away after a few days of trying, then I might have an answer. If they come up with a solution, then I will be paying the original shop a visit.
It has a busted clutch A basket.