Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Getting started with the new A6!

Old 12-15-2013, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Getting started with the new A6!

Hi everybody,

thanks to all who helped me make a decision to get my new A6 (pictures to come soon!) from this link. I have setup the basics like bluetooth for my phone and sirius. However, I have a few questions

1. The service reminder is on but I noticed a sticker that the car was actually already serviced and not in need of service again until march of next year. Can anyone tell me how I can reset the reminder? or do I need to take it to the dealer for this?
2. The 3G icon comes on in the screen and I setup the maps to show google maps. It works great as well as google search. Is it safe to assume that this option is free? or how do I know if I need to pay for it? I tried btw, to connect to the hotpost but every time my ipod says connection not successful. Not sure what is the deal here. I also saw an area in the settings where I can login a t-mobile account but obviously I don't have one, nor have I setup any kind of plan with them. It just happens to work right now.
3. My rocketfish and griffin 12v chargers don't work at all... any idea of which charger I need to buy to charge a mini-usb (Blackerry) and iphone 5?
4. I have an ipod touch 5 that has the mini dock instead of the the one with the car connected to the MMI socket. Do you guys know where I can buy a MMI cable that connects to the 5th generation ipod/iphone? I tried using the dock to mini but the car didn't recognize the ipod

Thanks for your replies!
Old 12-15-2013, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

1. You can reset the oil change reminder in the MMI (see your manual for the location) but only the dealer or someone with an VCDS cable can reset the service reminder.

2. The car comes with a 6 month free trial of the Audi Connect subscription through T-Mobile. At the end of the trial period you can purchase a 30 month subscription for $450 from T-Mobile or sign up with one of the pay-as-you-go providers that use T-Mobile's network.

3. Not sure about the others but there are several 12v chargers available online for the iPhone 5. You can also use the included AMI cable with an Apple 30 pin>Lightning adapter which will charge the phone and play your music through the car's MMI sound system. There is no available AMI>Lightning cable in the U.S. as of yet but should be soon - we've seen some available in Europe recently.

4. Same as #4 above for an iPod Touch 5G w/lightning connector.

See here for info about your MMI Nav+ entertainment options:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840907

Also, I would suggest besides taking the time to read your manuals, use the AudiWorld search feature - there are numerous threads already discussing the things you've asked about that will provide more detail.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
1. You can reset the oil change reminder in the MMI (see your manual for the location) but only the dealer or someone with an VCDS cable can reset the service reminder.

2. The car comes with a 6 month free trial of the Audi Connect subscription through T-Mobile. At the end of the trial period you can purchase a 30 month subscription for $450 from T-Mobile or sign up with one of the pay-as-you-go providers that use T-Mobile's network.

3. Not sure about the others but there are several 12v chargers available online for the iPhone 5. You can also use the included AMI cable with an Apple 30 pin>Lightning adapter which will charge the phone and play your music through the car's MMI sound system. There is no available AMI>Lightning cable in the U.S. as of yet but should be soon - we've seen some available in Europe recently.

4. Same as #4 above for an iPod Touch 5G w/lightning connector.

See here for info about your MMI Nav+ entertainment options:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2840907

Also, I would suggest besides taking the time to read your manuals, use the AudiWorld search feature - there are numerous threads already discussing the things you've asked about that will provide more detail.
Thanks snagit7 for the answers. I called an audi dealer to see what they could do for the service reminder and they said they would have to charge me labor for resetting the service reminder (nobody does things for free these days right?). What I found a little surprising was that when I asked about updating MMI to the latest version (I checked and I have 467 (I think it is?)) he said the update will cost me $500... sounded crazy.

With regards to audi connect, I contacted them and they said the dealer will activate the SIM card. What I'm confused about is what the SIM card does vs. what it doesn't. I have Sirius active in the car and currently I can see google maps, do google searches, see info (events, gas prices, weather), and see traffic colors on the gps map. I cannot connect to the hotspot (nor do I care to). So question is, am I getting all those things just by having Sirius? or do I in fact have audi connect active perhaps from the past owner having paid the full 30 months? just wondering.

I checked and I have the blue grommet cable. I also found out my ipod doesn't connect because my aftermarket 30-pin to lightning adapter is probably not recognized by the car so I'll have to get the Apple OEM one. Question> where can I buy a red grommet cable? Again, I've searched but haven't found anyone that says they bought one.

With regards to the charger, I was looking for a 12V one that I can use to charge my blackberry (mini-usb) and which I'm not really interested in connecting to the car via the AMI cable. Just wondering if anyone has bougth one that actually works... again, nothing coming up in my searches
Old 12-18-2013, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jcamber
Thanks snagit7 for the answers. I called an audi dealer to see what they could do for the service reminder and they said they would have to charge me labor for resetting the service reminder (nobody does things for free these days right?). What I found a little surprising was that when I asked about updating MMI to the latest version (I checked and I have 467 (I think it is?)) he said the update will cost me $500... sounded crazy.

With regards to audi connect, I contacted them and they said the dealer will activate the SIM card. What I'm confused about is what the SIM card does vs. what it doesn't. I have Sirius active in the car and currently I can see google maps, do google searches, see info (events, gas prices, weather), and see traffic colors on the gps map. I cannot connect to the hotspot (nor do I care to). So question is, am I getting all those things just by having Sirius? or do I in fact have audi connect active perhaps from the past owner having paid the full 30 months? just wondering.

I checked and I have the blue grommet cable. I also found out my ipod doesn't connect because my aftermarket 30-pin to lightning adapter is probably not recognized by the car so I'll have to get the Apple OEM one. Question> where can I buy a red grommet cable? Again, I've searched but haven't found anyone that says they bought one.

With regards to the charger, I was looking for a 12V one that I can use to charge my blackberry (mini-usb) and which I'm not really interested in connecting to the car via the AMI cable. Just wondering if anyone has bougth one that actually works... again, nothing coming up in my searches
Did you buy the car new or used from them? (You never said). Either way, if you purchased the car from that dealer, they shouldn't be charging to reset the service reminder. It should have been done with every scheduled service visit by the tech. In any case, you might as well wait for your next service as the reading would be off at this point anyway with a reset. As to the MMI update, $500 is outrageous. Most get it done for free under warranty. There are several Forum threads on the MMI 0715 update you should read. And consider going to another dealer for service. If you;re referring to a NAV maps update, that's different. It's expensive but $500 is still too high. Do you even need a Nav update yet?

The Sim card in the dash is like the one in a cel phone that enables the Audi Connect features of the car to transmit and receive data (but not tel calls). Sirius has nothing to do with the Nav (except the Sirius Traffic overlay) or Audi Connect - it's a separate service with it's own free 3 month trial for newly purchased Audis only. That's what the Sim card and am Audi Connect/T-Mobile subscription provides. If you purchased the car new and can use all the Audi Connect services, it comes with the sim card already activated for a 6 month free trial. If you purchased the car used, the previous owner either did not cancel AC with T-Mobile or prepaid for some period of time. Same with the Sirius music subscription if that's also working.

The red grommet AMI cable can be purchased from the dealer's parts dept. or from one of the online Audi parts suppliers, i.e. AudiUSAParts and GenuineAudiParts (both are AudiWorld sponsors). Be sure you order the correct part # (see the link I posted for you).

Any 12V car charger rated for your Backberry should work in one of the 12V sockets for charging (only when the car is turned on though). Check with a phone store that still sells Blackberrys. (Are there any left)?

If you purchased your A6 from an Audi dealer, the salesperson should have walked you through all of the things you're asking about. My advice: read the manuals, do searches on AudiWorld and find another Audi dealer if possible.

Last edited by snagitseven; 12-18-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 12:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you buy the car new or used from them? (You never said). Either way, if you purchased the car from that dealer, they shouldn't be charging to reset the service reminder. It should have been done with every scheduled service visit by the tech. In any case, you might as well wait for your next service as the reading would be off at this point anyway with a reset. As to the MMI update, $500 is outrageous. Most get it done for free under warranty. There are several Forum threads on the MMI 0715 update you should read. And consider going to another dealer for service. If you;re referring to a NAV maps update, that's different. It's expensive but $500 is still too high. Do you even need a Nav update yet?

The Sim card in the dash is like the one in a cel phone that enables the Audi Connect features of the car to transmit and receive data (but not tel calls). Sirius has nothing to do with the Nav (except the Sirius Traffic overlay) or Audi Connect - it's a separate service with it's own free 3 month trial for newly purchased Audis only. That's what the Sim card and am Audi Connect/T-Mobile subscription provides. If you purchased the car new and can use all the Audi Connect services, it comes with the sim card already activated for a 6 month free trial. If you purchased the car used, the previous owner either did not cancel AC with T-Mobile or prepaid for some period of time. Same with the Sirius music subscription if that's also working.

The red grommet AMI cable can be purchased from the dealer's parts dept. or from one of the online Audi parts suppliers, i.e. AudiUSAParts and GenuineAudiParts (both are AudiWorld sponsors). Be sure you order the correct part # (see the link I posted for you).

Any 12V car charger rated for your Backberry should work in one of the 12V sockets for charging (only when the car is turned on though). Check with a phone store that still sells Blackberrys. (Are there any left)?

If you purchased your A6 from an Audi dealer, the salesperson should have walked you through all of the things you're asking about. My advice: read the manuals, do searches on AudiWorld and find another Audi dealer if possible.
I bought it from a dealer that buys off-lease luxury cars from auctions. They don't have a service department and/or computers to connect to the car to do service resets, etc. So I've been shopping for an Audi dealer so I can take it to get the MMI updated and the service reminder reset but they seem to want to squeeze every penny they can from me. I like your idea however of waiting until the next service and have them do all of that then. Hopefully they agree to do the MMI update as part of the service required. I wasn't talking about Maps update btw.

I already had Sirius with my other car so I transferred it over to the A6. The A6 is a 2012 so that 6-month free period is clearly expired. My guess is, I'm riding on the remainder of whatever the prior owner paid for audi connect to t-mobile. I'll let it run until it no longer works and maybe get the prepaid options I've read in the forum.

Thanks for all your info!
Old 12-18-2013, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 188 Likes on 130 Posts

When I read threads like this one it makes me appreciate car forums for the information they contain and the help you can quickly get.
I remember back 20 years ago having to talk to 10 people, go to an auto parts store then the library to get information. Then again in 1990 there was no such thing as an AMI cable
Old 12-18-2013, 06:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My guess is, I'm riding on the remainder of whatever the prior owner paid for audi connect to t-mobile. I'll let it run until it no longer works and maybe get the prepaid options I've read in the forum.

Thanks for all your info!
If you're lucky, the prev owner prepaid for the 30 month subscription promo, which was first available to all C7 MMI Nav Plus owners starting in April, 2013. If so, you're good until about the Fall of 2016. The only possible downside is the myAudi website, with the destination send to car account from online Google Maps, which is probably using his email address. If so, that means you can't access it. If the prev owner never signed up for myAudi, you would be good to go as you only need the car's VIN to set it up. If he did activate it, I'm not sure you can transfer the myAudi account to your name; if you call T-Mobile's Audi Connect tel number, they may cancel the prev owner's Audi Connect account so if you can't set it up using the car's VIN if it's already registered, you may want to lie low until the current service goes away and you start fresh under your own name.

You mentioned you transferred your Sirius account from your old car to the A6. Did you also have Sirius Traffic? If not, you can subscribe to Sirius for $3 @month for the traffic overlays on your Nav maps.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you're lucky, the prev owner prepaid for the 30 month subscription promo, which was first available to all C7 MMI Nav Plus owners starting in April, 2013. If so, you're good until about the Fall of 2016. The only possible downside is the myAudi website, with the destination send to car account from online Google Maps, which is probably using his email address. If so, that means you can't access it. If the prev owner never signed up for myAudi, you would be good to go as you only need the car's VIN to set it up. If he did activate it, I'm not sure you can transfer the myAudi account to your name; if you call T-Mobile's Audi Connect tel number, they may cancel the prev owner's Audi Connect account so if you can't set it up using the car's VIN if it's already registered, you may want to lie low until the current service goes away and you start fresh under your own name.

You mentioned you transferred your Sirius account from your old car to the A6. Did you also have Sirius Traffic? If not, you can subscribe to Sirius for $3 @month for the traffic overlays on your Nav maps.
Yes to all yous said! I actually went to the myaudiconnect.com and tried to register, did the online chat with a dude and he asked me for the VIN then he said it was deactivated and to go to a dealer to set it up fresh. I was like "DARN!" he just stopped whatever balance was remaining on the prior owner's subscription but the next day worked just fine. So yeah, to your point, I'm missing out on the send your map to the car feature but the trade off is great if I get the google search functionality for a while .

With regards to sirius, I doubt it. I just had Sirius radio and didn't sign up specifically for traffic. I see traffic colors on the google maps though, I'm guessing that comes from google and not from Sirius?
Old 12-18-2013, 07:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes to all yous said! I actually went to the myaudiconnect.com and tried to register and when I wasn't able to, I did the online chat with a guy that asked me for the VIN then he said it was deactivated and to go to a dealer to set it up fresh. I thought "DARN! he just stopped whatever balance was remaining on the prior owner's subscription" but then the next day google maps worked just fine. So yeah, to your point, I'm missing out on the send your map to the car feature but the trade off is not bad considering all I'm getting for free.

With regards to Sirius, I doubt it. I just had Sirius radio and didn't sign up specifically for traffic. I see traffic colors on the google maps though, I'm guessing that comes from google and not from Sirius?
Old 12-18-2013, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I just had Sirius radio and didn't sign up specifically for traffic. I see traffic colors on the google maps though, I'm guessing that comes from google and not from Sirius?
Nope. As I wrote in a previous post, the traffic overlay comes from Sirius. The traffic overlay provides green, orange or red lines outside of the major roads in metro areas on both Standard map or Google Earth overlay (Btw, it's not called Google Map). Be sure you're not seeing the actual road colors built in to the maps. You can double check by going to Nav>Info to see if any traffic incidents are reported. If you have it, again, it could be a Traffic subscription the prev owner prepaid - it could go away at any time and you'll have to subscribe from Sirius to get it back.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Getting started with the new A6!