A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone put Flowmaster mufflers on their 4.2?

Old 11-25-2013, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone put Flowmaster mufflers on their 4.2?

Hey everyone,

I have an 07 A8 4.2 and have been thinking about upgrading my mufflers. I am a fan of the Flowmaster and have had them on my trucks & muscle car with great performance & sound. Anyone here have them on their A8? I only want to change out the stock mufflers, NOT a full cat back system. Any feedback would be great. Thanks
Old 11-26-2013, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did end up doing a cat-back exhaust from magnaflow. Good sound not as good as Flowmaster but just right for this car, not too loud. What I have notice is, I pick up some MPG to my surprise. I now get 26-27 MPG on the highway. I use to get around 24-25 MPG. You can also get it for a lot less that is listed. I did.
Here is a link:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2853561
Old 11-26-2013, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Trust me on this, if there was any drone it would be off the first day I put it on. It as a nice sound to it not to loud. With a car like this it is hard to find the right sound and when I got it, to be honest in my mind I was thinking it was going to come off, but so far I like it. The set up is the same as the stock factory exhaust. All Magnaflow did was to copy the factory set up with a better x-pipe, better resonator and better flowing mufflers, with a bigger diameter piping. One x-pipe (cross-over)into a resonator though two muffler. The fitment is the same as OEM. All hanger are in the same location. I have to say I am real happy with the fitment and sound of the system. Also can't beat the life time warranty.
Here is a link to Magnaflow site.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ayproducts.asp

click on the image to get a better picture. Also all dimension are on there site.

Last edited by snagitseven; 12-14-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Viper04, How much was that Magnaflow setup that you installed? It looks nice being stainless and it probably cost a lot. I'm leaning on just chopping the stock mufflers off and welding in 2 Flowmaster mufflers or maybe even the Magnaflow.
Old 11-27-2013, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default price

Originally Posted by SoCalJ
Viper04, How much was that Magnaflow setup that you installed? It looks nice being stainless and it probably cost a lot. I'm leaning on just chopping the stock mufflers off and welding in 2 Flowmaster mufflers or maybe even the Magnaflow.
I paid a little over $600 for the system. I sent a offer on E-bay and seller took it.
Old 11-27-2013, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ZiggyV8
All Magnaflow did was to copy the factory set up with a better x-pipe, better resonator and better flowing mufflers, with a bigger diameter piping. One x-pipe (cross-over)into a resonator though two muffler. The fitment is the same as OEM.

That is currently sort of my plan. A modified version of standard. cheers for link and post but couldnt find anything

Couldn't open a magnaflow 4.2 specific link that gave me an exact idea as they seemed to be a generic product shot. It didnt show a x-pipe or a performance version of the 2 in/2 out muffler located foraward of rear diff.

I think I shall put in the 24" long resonators as believe they will take some drone out, just hope it doesnt take much noise aswell? Have a set of performance muffler I can test with system and if close enough, will probably order a Magnaflow set larger or similar based on test set. There will be no 2 in/out muffler though, have noted some milltek type full set ups still incorparate it?

A true performance version of original would have 2 resonator, an x-pipe a mid mounted muffler and 2 rears. Mine will be minus the mid.

If most are only replacing the rear they should be fine but there are after market bolt ons that include the mid mounted muffler also around $2k.

I will be playing more and my experimentation will save someone in a few weeks once completed. add me to see how my project unfolds.
If you go on there site just look up the Audi 8A exhaust system, all the info should be there.You can also call there tech line for some info. When I called there tech line, they clam some HP increase, what I notice was the better MPG, more than the HP increase.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ZiggyV8
You'll generally need a remap to optimise both, done it and is definitely more power. Economy can't say, I'm giving it the boot too much! I'm Aussie so not calling anyone or ordering kits. Just the cans, local guys can do all the tube work. Do feel that mid muffler sucks a lot of noise. Why mine is louder. Not putting it back but! Just gonna get a larger set of magma flows if next test fit is still to loud?

Sent from my GT-N7100 using IB AutoGroup
I'm just posting the info, I don't work for Magnaflow, just posting my personal experience that's all. Are you doing all the work yourself? That's quite a bit of test fitting.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by viper04
I'm just posting the info, I don't work for Magnaflow, just posting my personal experience that's all. Are you doing all the work yourself? That's quite a bit of test fitting.
well I've played with it 3 times so have a spare set of straight thru mufflers sitting around.

They are flanged so can bolt on the rear and take off easy enough.

Endstate: once i fit resonators, tidy some tube work up and cut out old x-pipe i'm 90% done! I am looking at mufflers as we speak!
Old 11-28-2013, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

why in the world would you want to ruin the quiet and luxurious A8 that they spent so much money on engineering and perfecting the silence of the ride!! Buy a honda!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dripppps
why in the world would you want to ruin the quiet and luxurious A8 that they spent so much money on engineering and perfecting the silence of the ride!! Buy a honda!
Can't. A8 is cheaper. Well, apparently not in Australia.

You guys should be aware that all you can get is a different sound. Even that you can't control. Only way to gain SOME power is to start with headers. Even than it is very difficult to incorporate it in that sophisticated induction system.

Exhaust designers where using electronic models in order to evaluate results before they start welding. Now they are using computer programs for that. Just cut and weld system will definitely work too. You just have to convince yourself that you like the result.

And the last, just the matter of opinion, V8 sound is generally ugly, with exception of flat crankshaft ones. They are in the same league with Harley's and Subaru's. Choppy sound. Like misfire.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Anyone put Flowmaster mufflers on their 4.2?