Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Gaps between body panels

Old 10-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gaps between body panels

Hi,
I was wondering if any of you has ever checked how big/wide are the gaps between body panels of your A6? In general mine seem not too big, however I often see lower class cars that seem to have much smaller distances between panels...Anybody messured what are the spaces for example between front door and back door or the trunk/bonet from each side?

Would be interesting to get your feedback on this! Thank you very much in advance!
Old 10-18-2013, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm less concerned about actual gap width but whether the width is constant. If one side is different from the other you bet it is poor workmanship or it has been to a body shop.

I find the width acceptable. Look at US assembled BMW Z4. It has large gaps between body panels say between bumper and fender where there is no moving part. BMW is so embarassed it photoshops the gap in its marketing material. Not the case for Germany assembled 5 series.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am OK with the gaps, but my hood is very minor difference in gaps at the front, not sure if it is hood or front fender issue, I am sure 99% of people would not notice it even if I pointed it out.
Old 10-19-2013, 06:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by keithl
I am OK with the gaps, but my hood is very minor difference in gaps at the front, not sure if it is hood or front fender issue, I am sure 99% of people would not notice it even if I pointed it out.
I have thought that the gaps (especially around the doors) are much wider than they are for other brands. I park in an apartment building garage are and there are many other brands of cars parked there – kind of like a car show. I looked last PM and a 2013 Hyundai Veloster and a 2013 Honda Accord parked right near me both seemed to have much smaller body gaps (i.e., tighter panel separation) than my 2013 A6. It does seem a bit odd given we have been told to equate tight/narrow panel gaps as a sign of quality. On my car I find the gap between the rear door and the rest of the back of the car (whatever it is called) to be the most strikingly thick and obvious gap.
Old 10-19-2013, 09:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 224 Likes on 188 Posts
Default That's odd as Audi production videos

Originally Posted by tadziak
Hi,
I was wondering if any of you has ever checked how big/wide are the gaps between body panels of your A6? In general mine seem not too big, however I often see lower class cars that seem to have much smaller distances between panels...Anybody messured what are the spaces for example between front door and back door or the trunk/bonet from each side?

Would be interesting to get your feedback on this! Thank you very much in advance!
on YouTube show all these inspectors running around the car with gap gauges. I guess if the gap is larger than the guage it's ok!!!!