A6 / S6 (C6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C6 Audi A6 produced from 2004-present and Audi S6 produced from 2007 - 2011
Old 07-22-2016, 01:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C6) Tire Repair and Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Tires Tires Tires

Old 01-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires Tires Tires

Hello all

I need rear tires bad, AWD isnt very good without good tires lookin for an all season

Ive had Nexens on my car for over 4 years, went through many pairs but ready to change to something new

Local tires shop recommends Toyo Proxy 4's

I was considering continental proconti's

ANY recommendations?
Old 01-21-2014, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 873 Likes on 714 Posts

I don't know much about all season tires since I think season dedicated tires are better. Take a look at the survey results at Tire Racks website to see what tires people like.

Last edited by KevinGary; 01-21-2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Nexens are considered a pretty poor tire by those in the business. Personally, I run summer tires - Dunlop sport max gt and for winter currently run nokian non studded.
Old 01-21-2014, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just purchased some Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires for my A6 & have been very impressed with them-especially in the snow.
Old 01-21-2014, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KevinGary
I don't know much about all season tires since I think season dedicated tires are better. Take a look at the survey results at Tire Racks website to see what tires people like.
2nd that. Give Quattro a dedicated set of winter tires. You won't regret it. Get yourself some new wheels for the summer and get a summer tire. If that isn't in the cards and you like Continental I would also recommend the DWS. A friend of mine has a set on his 06 E55 AMG and they grabbed pretty damn well in the winter considering all the power it's putting down. I run 245/40/18 Pirelli Sottozero 240s in the winter & 265/30/20 Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 for the summer. If budget is an issue check out http://atlantistire.com. They sell really nice used tires.You'll be impressed with the prices. If cheaper brands like Nexen and others are better for you don't let the fear of quality or performance dissuade you. Most major tire manufacturers have an economy brand they own. Ever notice how some cheap no name tires have the same tread pattern? It's either the economy brand or it's pattern is manufactured under permission. Most of us aren't going to push our cars to the limits of our tires on public roads anyway. Track cars are a different story. That's when you'll want a big investment.

Last edited by The_Mizarc; 01-21-2014 at 06:42 PM. Reason: More to say
Old 01-22-2014, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I've run Conti DWS on my S6 and then switched to the new Proxes 4Plus. Both great tires.. This is my first winter with the Toyos and it's hard to tell but the Conti's may have had slightly more snow traction.
However, the Conti's also felt too soft (soft sidewalls) so the Toyo's may be better for overall handling.
You can't go wrong with either one...just make sure the Conti's are always inflated well if you go with them.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Continental DWS on my car and I plan to put them on all of my cars when the time comes. They have great traction in all conditions, especially snow.
The following users liked this post:
PHATTBOY (04-08-2024)
Old 01-23-2014, 02:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 142 Likes on 115 Posts

Respectfully, for those of you who are driving the DWS in the snow and think they are great...

Go find a similar model quattro with properly sized real winter tires, and try it in the snow. You will change your opinion of the DWS immediately.

I run the DWS on two quattros, a C5 and aC6, as three season tires. Frankly, they suck in the snow compared to the Nokians I run in the winter. Great three season, okay for a couple of flakes in an emergency, but lousy as a winter tire.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by urs6_ma
Respectfully, for those of you who are driving the DWS in the snow and think they are great...

Go find a similar model quattro with properly sized real winter tires, and try it in the snow. You will change your opinion of the DWS immediately.

I run the DWS on two quattros, a C5 and aC6, as three season tires. Frankly, they suck in the snow compared to the Nokians I run in the winter. Great three season, okay for a couple of flakes in an emergency, but lousy as a winter tire.
Could not agree more...you can't beat dedicated snow tires. I've run Blizzak, Nokians, and possibly looking at Yokahama's next. For those who don't feel there's much of a difference, here's some empirical data

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/elP_34ltdWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-23-2014, 03:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by urs6_ma

I live in Wisconsin and the winters there are as bad as any other snow area. Ive had no problems driving around with my DWS on my Audi in the snow. Ive used winter tires before on other cars and thats only cause they came with them when I bought them. Ive really noticed no difference between the two. Now, trying to drive around in summer tires in the snow-thats a different story.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tires Tires Tires