A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Rear Differential and Axle Seal Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 12:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Differential and Axle Seal Question

Just found out that my A4's Rear Differential has leak in the axle seals. I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I would need to replace the whole rear differential or if there was a way to just fix the leak?

Also, if I need to replace the rear differential, how much does one of these cost?
Old 06-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What?! Replace the diff because a couple of seals are leaking? That's just stupid. Those seals are replaceable. Call an independent repair shop and ask them what it would cost to replace them.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think that when you call a shop and get a quote that you will be shocked at the cost - a few hours per side if I recall last time I checked. These seem to be a usual leak point on A4 Quattros; mine were replaced under warranty and are seeping again. I just make a point to check the differential oil level every so often and hope that it doesn't get too low.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

thank for the responses...

I was actually wondering if I needed the whole rear differential replaced or just get the seals replaced.

I was also just thinking about checking the oil every so often to make sure it doesn't get low and taking the car in if it does.
Old 06-15-2009, 12:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nate,

I just noticed that you are in Iowa...where are you located? I'm in Iowa City...do have any repair shops you can recommend?

Thanks,

Mark
Old 06-15-2009, 01:47 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I live in Davenport. There is only one shop I use in D-port and that's North Brady Import. I don't know any shops in IC that I can recommend.
Old 06-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Former Vendor

Output seals are available separately. Pretty common replacement part.

Output Flange Seals
Old 06-15-2009, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The output seals are really easy to put on. Pull the axles, the output flange, and then a couple of drywall screws into the old seal and pull.
The install is fairly easy also. Make sure that the seal is flush on the outside of the carrier. Lube it with a little oil then put the output flange back in. Bolt everything back up and your good to go.
Old 07-09-2009, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Finally found a place to take care of the axle seals for me. What a freaking ordeal!!! Is costing going to cost a pretty penny, but still cheaper than taking it to the dealer.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Mine has been leaking since i bought the car 4 years ago. As the oil level is below the seal, it only leaks when you drive. Just take a look each year and fill up if you don't drive much. I bought the seal, but I was unable to take off the axle when I tried to replace. So did not change. There is a very good writeup at AW. Several posts said it in not needed to change at all if the leak of not serious. I even did not take care of it during the last two years (drove ~10000 miles). I will top up the differential oil next time I change motor oil in December.

Quick Reply: Rear Differential and Axle Seal Question