A8 / S8 (D2 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D2 Audi A8 and S8 produced from 1994-2002
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Slipping Clutch?

Old 02-10-2014, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slipping Clutch?

So I had a rebuild done on my D2 S8 transmission about 20k miles ago and it seems like its slipping??

From a stop, if anything more than very casual acceleration it revs with no movement then thumps into first most times. If you grandma it and let roll first then get on the gas, its fine. Reverse takes a second or two to engage as well. No codes being thrown, checked with VAGCOM, and all other shifting seems fine.

Is it really possible that this thing is going out on me again? I had a filter and flush done a little over a month ago because I first got the longer hard engagement into reverse. Seemed a little better after fluid and flush, then when making a 3pt turn it did it for reverse and first and made me worried. I performed a re-fill procedure this weekend making sure to keep it just barely spilling from the fill hole and running through the gears, etc etc. However it seems its getting worse and not any better.

Any thoughts on this one?
Old 02-10-2014, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Does this only happen after it's warmed up?
Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Sorry, but I think this is a slipping clutch A. Can't say for the reason. My car did this a couple of times (I mean twice) and the transmission died within two weeks (500 kms).

Wish I had better news.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by nossisnave
Its tough to say. I performed the refill procedure from A8pages on Saturday around noon. Once completed I drove about 10 miles and had a clunking first about halfway in. If went super easy it was fine.

I have drove about 20 miles since Saturday and now. I just went out for lunch and had no issues from work to bank to deli and home. Even gave it a good push from two stop lights and had no issues.
Old 02-11-2014, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Dref seems worse after it's been warm for a while. Why do u ask?
Old 02-11-2014, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just trying to compare to what I experience w/ mine recently. It's winter here and when I'd first start the car the transmission would be fine. After drivig only a few miles it would slip and act like it was coming out of gear. We finally pulled it out and replacing the O-ring inside the A clutch because it was in pieces. I'm pretty sure tho gears 1-4 are one clutch housing and 5 and Reverse are another. Mine didn't have any trouble w/ Reverse. Hmmm
Old 02-11-2014, 11:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

If it only happens after it's warmed up it would seem to indicate a similar issue as mine.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Just trying to compare to what I experience w/ mine recently. It's winter here and when I'd first start the car the transmission would be fine. After drivig only a few miles it would slip and act like it was coming out of gear. We finally pulled it out and replacing the O-ring inside the A clutch because it was in pieces. I'm pretty sure tho gears 1-4 are one clutch housing and 5 and Reverse are another. Mine didn't have any trouble w/ Reverse. Hmmm
Did yours last long before your repair? Mine gave up so quickly I thought I hit a pothole before realizing it was in limp mode. The couple of times it slipped the transmission was fully warmed up. The first time it went into limp mode was also after warm-up.

From what I gathered, there're 3 'clutches', 3 'brakes', and one 'low sprag' (or 7 clutches):

P: F
R: CF
N: F
D1: AL
D2: AE
D3: AD
D4: AB
D5: BD
M1: AFL

The problem I have is with A. Yesterday I drove 40 km to the transmission shop in 5th on hilly French roads - very stressful.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Dreamhope, not sure how long it had been slipping. I didn't investigate enough before purchasing the car; it did it the first day I put it on the road. My fault for not checking it thoroughly. I think it was probably doing it for the previous owner and he just passed it on to me.
Old 02-17-2014, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

So I have obviously been driving her around because she is my daily at this point, and she has been much better it seems. Reverse takes a second to engage but starts have been thump free and smooth. I have obviously not been pushing her hard at all but if i do give her a push, she moves right along.

One thing I did notice however is upon startup, You can hear what sounds like the flywheel spinning and whining quite loudly. I say flywheel because of 2 things, its whining even in park, and it varies with rpm speed.

Does anyone know what the cause of this may be? Is it possible that it is low on fluid and its not coating the flywheel and thats why Im hearing it?

We followed the A8pages procedure to a T.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Slipping Clutch?