A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Aftermarket Headlights Questions

Old 11-11-2013, 09:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Headlights Questions

Hi all! I've been reading the site for a while and finally decided to join. I recently purchased a 2003 A6 as my first car, and I've been enjoying all the help from this site. I have a question about aftermarket headlights. I've been looking at these headlights. I know some on this site might not approve of this style on the C5, but I just figured what the heck, I'm young and reckless, and I've always liked the look. Now, on this site, it says that these lights are not compatible with "Stock/Xenon HID" models. I'm pretty sure that I do have Xenon HID lights, but being new to headlights, I'm not sure. How can I tell if those are what I have? Beyond that, I have 2 questions: Why exactly would these lights not work in my car if I do have the Xenon HID model? and Does anyone have any suggestions for aftermarket lights like these that WOULD work in my car? Thanks all, I appreciate it!
Old 11-11-2013, 09:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by BootsElectric
Hi all! I've been reading the site for a while and finally decided to join. I recently purchased a 2003 A6 as my first car, and I've been enjoying all the help from this site. I have a question about aftermarket headlights. I've been looking at these headlights. I know some on this site might not approve of this style on the C5, but I just figured what the heck, I'm young and reckless, and I've always liked the look. Now, on this site, it says that these lights are not compatible with "Stock/Xenon HID" models. I'm pretty sure that I do have Xenon HID lights, but being new to headlights, I'm not sure. How can I tell if those are what I have? Beyond that, I have 2 questions: Why exactly would these lights not work in my car if I do have the Xenon HID model? and Does anyone have any suggestions for aftermarket lights like these that WOULD work in my car? Thanks all, I appreciate it!
If you turn on your headlights, do they "flash" on and brighten up? And, if you turn it off and back on immediately, do they change color and back to white(looking at light output on a garage door for example)? If they do, you have HIDs. If the color does not change (or light from dim to bright in 2 or 3 secs), you have halogen. Another simple test: pull the bulb out! If it looks like a glass envelope/bubble inside the glass tube, it is HID. If you see good old filament, it is tungsten based halogen bulb.

If you have HID, task is simpler; choose HID type headlights that fit your the car's body style and you'd just plug and play. If halogen, you still can do HID -just have to "retrofit" or mod them to HID. There are so many kits available and I suggest you to get Phillips/Bosch ballasts and not some "chinese black boxes" that burn out quickly. Your best bet is to go here: www.hidplanet.com/‎
Old 11-11-2013, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tester123
If you turn on your headlights, do they "flash" on and brighten up? And, if you turn it off and back on immediately, do they change color and back to white(looking at light output on a garage door for example)? If they do, you have HIDs. If the color does not change (or light from dim to bright in 2 or 3 secs), you have halogen. Another simple test: pull the bulb out! If it looks like a glass envelope/bubble inside the glass tube, it is HID. If you see good old filament, it is tungsten based halogen bulb.

If you have HID, task is simpler; choose HID type headlights that fit your the car's body style and you'd just plug and play. If halogen, you still can do HID -just have to "retrofit" or mod them to HID. There are so many kits available and I suggest you to get Phillips/Bosch ballasts and not some "chinese black boxes" that burn out quickly. Your best bet is to go here: www.hidplanet.com/‎
Thanks for the help! If you don't mind, i have a couple more questions for you. Since the site says that it doesn't fit the HID OR the stock models, what exactly DOES it fit? Also, are these particular headlights considered decent headlights? Like I said, I'm new to the market, and I don't exactly want to spend $300 plus dollars on pieces of crap :P
Old 11-11-2013, 10:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the help! If you don't mind, i have a couple more questions for you. Since the site says that it doesn't fit the HID OR the stock models, what exactly DOES it fit? Also, are these particular headlights considered decent headlights? Like I said, I'm new to the market, and I don't exactly want to spend $300 plus dollars on pieces of crap :P
To be honest with you, I am not versed in what headlights etc. would fit for your car yr/model or another for that matter. If it is any consolation, I thought of changing my side-marker signal lights on fender to "clear" type. Found couple that don't work and just gave up couple years ago! As you mentioned, you are young so, you got time for this kind of fun stuff (don't get me wrong, I think it's cool! and wish I could as well..). I just don't have enough time for such cool things anymore . Nowadays, if it works properly, I consider it a blessing in disguise . In free time I am busy fixing broken things rather than upgrading.
Why don't you send a message to the seller? Maybe, he didn't put the compatibility info on eBay. Like I said, your best bet is contacting the seller or manufacturer. Sorry but, that's all I can help on this.

By the way, be careful when opening bulbs - Let it cool for 5 mins. before removing.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All these aftermarket headlights do not work with auto leveling. This in itself might be causing issues with your car's electrical compatibility. Moreover, the connector may not be compatible.

You should email the seller and find out.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

I think you're reading too much into it…it doesn't fit the stock HID (some call that xenon) projector-equipped cars.
Couple reasons…the stock HID lens assemblies have automatic beam levelers for different loads if not going up and down hills. Second, the wiring harness connector probably doesn't fit…audi may have used different wiring harnesses and connectors for the OEM projector units.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Stock xenon have auto leveling and most aftermarket lights dont account for this. Factory xenon bulbs are Long, aftermarket lights dont account for this.Some plugs are different. Pre and post facelift models are different make sure you know which one you have. If you look at your headlight Lens at the bottom closest to chrome bumper trim youll see a bunch of info stamped to lense, VOL are xenon VOR are halogen.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Aftermarket lights are cheap so youll run into things like moisture build up and bad fitment. Go to ECS tuning or force5auto. Your not saving much on eBay. One rule with VW/AUDI, you get what you Pay for.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Also If factory LED fail how Long do you think aftermarket will last
Old 11-12-2013, 10:50 AM
Banned

Another thing to consider when installing (some) aftermarket lights is that the entire headlight assembly is not made to handle heat higher than what the stock lights put off. Meaning, it's not guaranteed to happen, but it IS a possibility that the aftermarket lights could melt the entire thing.

Just something to consider