Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 suspension much too stiff?

Old 10-28-2013, 11:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 suspension much too stiff?

So Motortrend really loved the SQ5 in their SUV OF THE YEAR roundup, but most reviewers agreed the ride was so stiff that they could not recommend it. What do you SQ5 owners say?
Old 10-28-2013, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unless the Canadian SQ5's are completely different in ride quality than the US vehicles.They are full of crap!My wife has been driving ours for the last month on our bad Toronto downtown roads and I have heard no complaints from here.I find it very compliant but still being fairly taunt even for somewhat aggressive driving.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We've had ours for about 1200 miles now. I've been in the driver's seat for maybe 300 of them, and my wife for the rest.

I asked her yesterday if she had any complaints about anything with it, and even pushed the stiff suspension. No issues with the suspension at all from her. And this is a lady that is having back surgery in the next month.

Her lone complaint is really around the seat heaters. In previous models of Q5, and even my 2008 RS4, there was the ability to regulate the seats from a scale of 0-6. Now, it is really only a 4 stage setting with a push button that takes you from High, Medium, Low and off. The complaint is that the difference from High to Medium is significant...being able to fine tune it was definitely nicer and something that seems weird for them to have changed.

Anyways, the suspension isn't a concern for us!
Old 10-28-2013, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What did they expect, an air ride? It's an "S" so it will be bit stiffer than regular Q and with 21" wheels it won't ride like RX350. For me it's sporty, but definitely not uncomfortable. It's way more comfortable than my S4 on 19's and I'm really surprised at how good it handles the curves. My only gripe: no A/S option for 21" wheels.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by koobah
It's way more comfortable than my S4 on 19's and I'm really surprised at how good it handles the curves.
More comfortable than your S4 at what suspension setting on the S4 (comfort, auto, or dynamic)? If comfort or auto, then that's good for the SQ5. If dynamic, then you're not saying much because the dynamic suspension setting on the S4/S5 is quite harsh on crappy US roads.
Old 10-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I think they're crazy. It's a SPORTY SUV, not some cushy land barge! =)
Old 10-28-2013, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by visualguy
More comfortable than your S4 at what suspension setting on the S4 (comfort, auto, or dynamic)? If comfort or auto, then that's good for the SQ5. If dynamic, then you're not saying much because the dynamic suspension setting on the S4/S5 is quite harsh on crappy US roads.
All settings. The comfort on the S4 was too "old Buick floaty", but you still felt even the smallest bumps due to 35 low profiles on 19s. I would describe the SQ5 suspension as dynamic S4 stiff with a lot more spring travel and slightly higher profile tires, producing a more comfortable ride overall. The SQ5 suspension was by no means designed to be cushy, but it's a well balanced approach between sport and comfort.
Old 10-28-2013, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

All settings. The comfort on the S4 was too "old Buick floaty", but you still felt even the smallest bumps due to 35 low profiles on 19s. I would describe the SQ5 suspension as dynamic S4 stiff with a lot more spring travel and slightly higher profile tires, producing a more comfortable ride overall. The SQ5 suspension was by no means designed to be cushy, but it's a well balanced approach between sport and comfort.
Interesting... I haven't driven an SQ5 yet, but I drove a Q5 3.0t without adaptive suspension and the ride was surprisingly harsh. Seemed somewhat worse actually than my S5 with 19" wheels and adaptive suspension in auto mode. I'm getting my SQ5 soon, so we'll see...
Old 10-28-2013, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by visualguy
Interesting... I haven't driven an SQ5 yet, but I drove a Q5 3.0t without adaptive suspension and the ride was surprisingly harsh. Seemed somewhat worse actually than my S5 with 19" wheels and adaptive suspension in auto mode. I'm getting my SQ5 soon, so we'll see...
Everyone's perception of comfort may be slightly different, but if standard Q5 was harsh to you, SQ5 definitely won't be better when it comes to "comfort".
Old 10-28-2013, 02:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Everyone's perception of comfort may be slightly different, but if standard Q5 was harsh to you, SQ5 definitely won't be better when it comes to "comfort".
Yes, that is a concern - too bad the SQ5 doesn't have adaptive suspension (actually, too bad the roads aren't maintained better...)

My other concern is that the fuel consumption on this car will be out of control. Lots of traffic congestion and traffic lights around here, so my S5 burns gas like crazy, and the SQ5 will only be worse... Still, I decided to go with the SQ5 rather than the Q5 TDI S-line-plus assuming the SQ5 will be more fun. I hope I don't regret it...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SQ5 suspension much too stiff?