A4 (B7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B7 Audi A4 produced from 2005-2008.5

Vacuum Leak - P0171/P0507

Old 01-16-2011, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vacuum Leak - P0171/P0507

I am quite the noobie when it comes to automotive repair; I know trucks and especially military vehicles, but never a European car like my wife’s Audi. Right now I face the problem of a vacuum line or something of the like. I am getting the error codes:

P0171 - System too lean; low fuel pressure or volume; Probable cause: 1. Faulty HO2S, 2. Large vacuum leak, 3. Faulty MAF sensor
P0507 - Idle Air control system RPM higher than expected; Large vacuum leak on engine: Probable cause 1. Throttle plate misadjusted or damaged 2. Faulty IAC valve

Some back ground: Weather has gone from moderate to sub-temperatures; the car is parked in the garage every night, in a parking garage during the day, driven 40 minutes total per day. It is a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T with 82,000 miles.

I am attempting to locate, the vacuum tubes but I am not quiet sure what I need to look for. All the places I look online are kind of cryptic and don’t do a great job at describing what to look for. If anyone has a good large res explosion chart of the vacuum tubes, Throttle plate, MAF sensor it would be of great help.
-or-
If anyone has an idea as to what I can do to fix my problem, I would be indebted to you.

Thank you.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Those codes could mean a bad pressure regulator valve (PCV). It's a common problem on these engines. Same codes I had, and others on this forum.

Pull off the plastic engine cover and you'll see it. Looks like this:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...y/DSCF1138.jpg
Old 01-16-2011, 08:19 PM
Former Vendor

I'd double check your cam follower.
Old 03-03-2011, 07:18 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by mscav
Those codes could mean a bad pressure regulator valve (PCV). It's a common problem on these engines. Same codes I had, and others on this forum.

Were is the Best Place to Buy the PVC Valve ?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

got it at dealer so you will get a latest version of crank case pressure regulator.

Try to pull oil filler cap while engine at idle. If it is so hard to pull the cap, the crank case pressure regulator valve is the most likely problem.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by oaktreelimb
got it at dealer so you will get a latest version of crank case pressure regulator.

Try to pull oil filler cap while engine at idle. If it is so hard to pull the cap, the crank case pressure regulator valve is the most likely problem.
where is this crank case pressure regulator valve located?
Old 03-11-2011, 04:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by MikekiM@PureMS
I'd double check your cam follower.
what does the cam follower have to do with this?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Crank case pressure regulator valve is mounted on valve cover and has two hoses connected to it.
Old 07-20-2012, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Crankcase pressure regulator valve

Originally Posted by mscav

Which one of these is the updated one, http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/200...ent_valve.html . I'm having the same idling issues and I'm not sure if the regulator valve should be blowing air out of it at such a high sound. It only happens when I am parked.
Old 07-23-2012, 02:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SomeNoobie
I am quite the noobie when it comes to automotive repair; I know trucks and especially military vehicles, but never a European car like my wife’s Audi. Right now I face the problem of a vacuum line or something of the like. I am getting the error codes:

P0171 - System too lean; low fuel pressure or volume; Probable cause: 1. Faulty HO2S, 2. Large vacuum leak, 3. Faulty MAF sensor
P0507 - Idle Air control system RPM higher than expected; Large vacuum leak on engine: Probable cause 1. Throttle plate misadjusted or damaged 2. Faulty IAC valve

Some back ground: Weather has gone from moderate to sub-temperatures; the car is parked in the garage every night, in a parking garage during the day, driven 40 minutes total per day. It is a 2007 Audi A4 2.0T with 82,000 miles.

I am attempting to locate, the vacuum tubes but I am not quiet sure what I need to look for. All the places I look online are kind of cryptic and don’t do a great job at describing what to look for. If anyone has a good large res explosion chart of the vacuum tubes, Throttle plate, MAF sensor it would be of great help.
-or-
If anyone has an idea as to what I can do to fix my problem, I would be indebted to you.

Thank you.
there is a tsb on that,also on flap motor,possable fuel pressure ck valve too,give your vin# to your dealership and see what happens,should be free under warrt.,hope that helps,

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Vacuum Leak - P0171/P0507