Lots of white smoke coming out of tail pipe?

Old 01-08-2011, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lots of white smoke coming out of tail pipe?

My turbo went out a couple of weeks ago. When it went out it lost boost obviously but also had alot of white smoke coming out of tail pipe. We started up car today with new turbo and their is still alot of white smoke coming out. Is that a head gasket? And if so, how hard to fix.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by kerrbear5712
My turbo went out a couple of weeks ago. When it went out it lost boost obviously but also had alot of white smoke coming out of tail pipe. We started up car today with new turbo and their is still alot of white smoke coming out. Is that a head gasket? And if so, how hard to fix.
It could be The head gasket..but i would also look into the piston rings..how many miles are on the car?
Old 01-11-2011, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your reply, however it seems that it was just residual oil burning out of tail pipe from when my turbo went out. I drove it for the first time yesterday and I cannot believe how much more power it has. I bought the car in July (used) with 79k miles. I kept telling everyone that it really didnt have any "get up and go" but I didnt really have anything to compare it too. Also, being female Im not real car savvy. lol I'm also grateful that it isnt anything else at the moment as i've already put in some serious time and money just on this frick'n turbo.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had a turbo go out about a year and a half ago and when it went somehow it blew all of the motor oil into the exhaust system. I found out the turbo had blown because of the James Bond smoke screen that I was putting out while driving down the street from my house. I turned around and got it in the garage and discovered that the turbo had gone kaput. Before I figured this out though I had checked the oil and filled it back up with another $30 bucks worth of mobil 1 full synthetic and and started it up and it then blew another 4 quarts of oil into the exhaust. Some of the oil started to leak out of the exhaust pipes but the rest just had to burn off gradually over time. It took about 1500 miles before it all burned off. I had a lot of laughs when I would pull up to a red light and rev it to about 1500 and smoke everyone out