Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Self Oil Change

Old 10-27-2013, 06:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Self Oil Change

I've always changed the oil in my vehicles but can I change the oil myself in my 2014 Q5/ 3.0. Is there a drain plug or does the oil need to be sucked out? Is there reasonably easy access to the bottom of the engine to do this?
Old 10-27-2013, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jkballon
I've always changed the oil in my vehicles but can I change the oil myself in my 2014 Q5/ 3.0. Is there a drain plug or does the oil need to be sucked out? Is there reasonably easy access to the bottom of the engine to do this?
I'm the same way about changing my own oil. I changed the oil in my 2013 Q5 Hybrid at 1k miles to flush out manufacturing debris like silicon.

When I took off the cover under the engine, I found the drain plug at the front of the oil pan. I think the bolt was a hex socket rather than a hex bolt head.

I'd suggest you get under the front end and start taking the covers off. The one you probably need to remove for an oil change is the panel nearest to the front. You'll also get a good look at the suspension and other mechanical components.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

It's easy. There's a large plastic panel to remove, but that's really the only thing that's worth commenting about. Nothing out of the ordinary. It will probably take 45 min the first time you do it, and 30 min thereafter.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by NABS4
It's easy. There's a large plastic panel to remove, but that's really the only thing that's worth commenting about. Nothing out of the ordinary. It will probably take 45 min the first time you do it, and 30 min thereafter.
And I bet the filter is on top of the engine like my 3.2
Old 10-27-2013, 11:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Here you have a good video instruction

http://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/20...and_oil_filter
Old 10-28-2013, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

I change my oil myself as well ('11 2.0T). Make sure you know how much oil the engine takes and then just dump that much in - there is no conventional dipstick to measure with unless you buy one that will work.
I also find the oil filter location very odd - upside down on the very top of the engine right above the accessory belt...
Old 10-28-2013, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Just changed the wife's Q oil this weekend. Easiest oil change I've ever done. Sucked it out with a MITYVAC via the dipstick tube and removed the oil filter right on top. Filled with Mobil 1 0w40 European formula, checked with dipstick from my S5 and it took 7 quarts.

Don't have a VAG-COM yet, therefore "SERVICE DUE" is still lighting up.

Amazon is currently offering 6 qt. case for $51 with a $12 rebate and included MOBIL 1 oil filter. I use OEM filter on Audi but took an oil filter for my Silverado.

Last edited by lmariorod; 10-28-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 79 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by lmariorod
Just changed the wife's Q oil this weekend. Easiest oil change I've ever done. Sucked it out with a MITYVAC via the dipstick tube and removed the oil filter right on top.
Which model of Mityvac do you have? How do you know that you've sucked out all the oil? Thanks.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NABS4
Which model of Mityvac do you have? How do you know that you've sucked out all the oil? Thanks.
The MITYVAC is model MV7400. Once it started sucking out bubbles and no more oil, I checked it with the dipstick and it showed empty. Sure it's better letting it drain out the bottom, but its a hassle taking out the plastic underbelly and crawling underneath. That would be fine if the filter were underneath, but with the filter on top. This is too clean, easy and fast.

BTW: The dealer in my area, suck it out also. Car was never lifted (except at 5k for tire rotation) when I took it in for 4
Audicares.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

I never saw the oil filter before. Is the video correct, with the three filter pieces plus o-rings? Wow that is quite the contraption. So used to seeing the spin-on type oil filter.

Glad I have AudiCare.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Self Oil Change