Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Need help with an electronic brake controller!

Old 05-08-2010, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with an electronic brake controller!

Hi, I am new to this Forum and really need some help! We just bought a beautiful airstream that we would like to pull with our Q7. The Q7 has the factory installed tow package and when I checked with the Audi dealer they told me I was ready to go. Well, we went to pick up the Airstream and the RV Dealer told us that they could not install the electronic brake controller in the Audi. If anybody out there knows anything about this, please help!
Old 05-09-2010, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So I have talked to several Audi dealers, but none of them new how to install that controller. One mentioned that they would need to code the trailer controller? Another one didn't think we needed a controller at all. The Q7 we have is a 2007 model, the Airstream weighs about 6000 lbs. Please, please help if you had the same problems and were able to solve it. Thanks Nette
Old 05-09-2010, 03:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

You definitely need a brake controller, pulling 6000 lbs. Not sure about the 2007, but most are already wired for the brake controller if you got the factory tow package. It took the dealer about 30 minutes (or less) to hook mine up. Any dealer worth anything can do this for you. DO NOT pull that trailer without a brake controller.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mike, thank you for your reply. I will go to the local (Atlanta, GA) Audi dealer tomorrow and see if they can install one for me.
Did you have to buy your brake controller seperately or was that something the Audi dealer had on hand. Also, do you have any recommendations on brake controllers?
I like the cars you own! I am from Germany and lived about 20 min. from the Autobahn, you would have loved it with your Porsche.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I had to purchase the brake controller and take it to them to install. It was simply a matter of them finding the wire under the dash and plugging it in. Hopefully yours already has the wire for this, as it should have come with the factory towing package. My was already connected in the back of the car, but I understand that some come unplugged at the rear and simply need to be plugged in. Again, the dealer should be very familiar with this. I purchased the Tekonsha P3 brake controller which can be used for either surge or electric trailer brakes. Works great.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for your info Mike. Audi called today and informed me that my Q7 is not pre wired for the brake controller even though it has the factory installed tow package. They will keep it for several days to do the wiring and install, not sure how much it will cost since they have never done it before. Oh well, I really hope the Airstream is worth it... I can't wait to pick it up!
Old 05-12-2010, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nette, Your Q7 should have pre-wire behind the dash unless it is very early production. VIN newer than _7D021937 will be pre wired.
Unit most commonly used for Q7 is Tekonsha Prodigy P3.
Lots of guys have it installed with no problems.

Read this thread and check out the links in replies.

If possible please report back with your outcome and findings.

Sorry for my delayed reply.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:30 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Quick update: even though my Q7 has the factory installed towing package, it did not come prewired for the brake controller. The Audi dealership kept the car for 10 long days and re-wired it (Audi paid for it) and installed the brake controller. I just got it back and connected it to the Airstream trailer and it did not work... the tail lights (brake lights) on the trailer just blink and don't do anything else!
It is so frustrating, but I will have to take it back to the dealer.