Audio, Video and Security Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Audi IPod adapter + SAT works!! - EASY mod

Old 01-03-2006, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi IPod adapter + SAT works!! - EASY mod

For those who didn't see my earlier posts about my install of the Audi IPod adapter - the question has been "can you use the IPod adapter and keep Satellite radio at the same time?". The answer is yes.

So you know, my car is a 2005.5 A4 2.0 sedan. I have the Symphony II radio with Bose.

In the Audi IPod adapter instructions it tells you that you need to remove 3 wires in positions 18, 19, and 20 in the harness connected to the rear of the head unit. These 3 wires are replaced by 3 wires in the new harness for the IPod adapter. In the instructions you are told to remove the 3 wires using the Audi Special Tool, and then to insert the new wires in the spaces vacated by the old wires. Instead of removing the wires, you simply need to crimp the new 3 wires to the existing 3 wires and you will be able to have both Satellite radio and IPod independently. The 3 wires are audio wires and do not have any effect on other functions.

For those with the Symphony II radio the wire color matches are as follows:

Factory Color - Adapter Color - Connector
Blue - Green - 18
Purple - Yellow - 19
White - Grey - 20

So you crimp the blue wire in postion 18 to the green wire in the Adapter harness, the purple wire in position 19 to the yellow wire in the Adapter harness, and the white wire in position 20 to the grey wire in the Adapter harness. All other wires go into the postions described in the Audi IPod Adapter instructions.

This eliminates the need for the Audi Special Tool, and gives you both SAT and IPod.

Hopefully I explained it well enough that others can do the same.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

good deal man, thanks for tip, i know it'll be useful to me in a few weeks
Old 01-03-2006, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default some questions...

so are you telling me that you just spliced the two sets of wires together behind your Sym II?

so I guess you are telling me that those three wires that were originally installed to support the audio input from your SAT tuner...get spliced into the corresponding wires from the audi ipod adaptor harness.

I was always under the assumption that you needed to interface the SAT tuner in this fashion via using the audio pass-through. This is what I have done (and several others) who wanted to run the phatbox and the SAT tuner together.

Thanks for your response.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts
Default more questions...

What you have done assumes that both devices (iPod and SAT receiver) tollerate an incoming signal on their audio out. What you are doing may work now, and with the low voltage may not cause initial damage. But if it does work long term is questionable. By splicing the wires you are also changing the resistance which is most likely changing the audio quality of both devices.

The Audi SAT receiver has an audio pass-though which is controlled via the SAT button on the head unit. This way you can connect a second source (e.g. CDC, iPod, PB) without having a signal coming in through the audio out of the SAT receiver. That's what the three wires are for.

As I said, it may work now but it's definitely not as the Audi engineer has designed it...
Old 01-03-2006, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I have been examining this issue and conclude the proper way is to use the sat pass thru

feature. Jumpering into the audio path is likely to do a number of things to the connected devices. The op amps in each unit will likely have to work harder to overcome the resistance of both connected devices which means additional heat on them and likely failure. Audi accounted for the serial connection of the devices by enabling audio pass thru on the sat tuner - why not use it correctly?
Old 01-03-2006, 04:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

ditto.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i'll have some detailed instructions/pix on how to do this in a few days...

..it's really quite easy.

Just add three wires to the the T8s connector at the SAT tuner and route those up behind the SymII/HU etc and splice those into the three original wires coming from the audi ipod adaptor. The existing three audio wires for the SAT tuner should remain intact in their original place in the 20 pin connector (#18, 19 and 20).

Will cost you another $20 in parts.

Stay tuned.
-ted
Old 01-03-2006, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default So what was your question?

Didn't see one in your post.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nice, but in reality that's not the way Audi designed it, either.

The way Audi designed it was to do exactly as the instructions say and have the IPod act as a CD Changer, but you lose SAT when you do it.

With the heat comment, you're assuming that both sources are working at the same time, which they are not.

Both my way and your theory are workarounds to the approved method.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 244 Likes on 188 Posts
Default Correct, there wasn't a question.

Except those to myself if your setup can work long term.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi IPod adapter + SAT works!! - EASY mod