Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

1TB of music by connecting up a Seagate HD

Old 02-17-2014, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 1TB of music by connecting up a Seagate HD

I know this has been done before and Audi even sells HD's with the Audi brand, but I thought I would post up all the parts that I used for my fellow Q owners. For $65.98 all-in, I don't think you can beat it with a stick.

Parts:
- I saw that a Seagate expansion drive was on sale on Amazon, so I picked one up. "Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STBX1000101)" for $58.29.
Amazon.com: Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STBX1000101): Computers & Accessories Amazon.com: Seagate Expansion 1TB Portable External Hard Drive USB 3.0 (STBX1000101): Computers & Accessories

- I tried cheaping out, and instead of buying the official Audi USB adapter, I bought a "VicTsing AMI MMI Music Cable." It cost $7.69 and it works perfectly. I went on Amazon to provide a link here and it looks like it is not available anymore from Amazon (I literally bought this 2 days ago so it must be popular). I would try ebay for it. It was sold by VicDirect.
Amazon.com: VicTsing AMI MMI Music Cable - Connect USB Device (USB flash stick, MP3 player, Hard drive disk ) to AUDI AMI/MMI System: Car Electronics Amazon.com: VicTsing AMI MMI Music Cable - Connect USB Device (USB flash stick, MP3 player, Hard drive disk ) to AUDI AMI/MMI System: Car Electronics

Setup:
- format the drive to FAT32 using any of the free available utilities out there. I went to Download.com and pulled down the HP USB Disc Storage Format tool v2.2.3.
- put all of your tunes onto the drive. I used the following structure: \\Music\(artist)\(album)\(songs) but I don't think it matters.
- connect the drive to your MMI using the supplied cable and enjoy your music
- something I didn't see in my travels through the board (but is probably out there somewhere): an easy way to recreate iTunes playlists for use on the drive. iTunes playlists are very easy to recreate. What I did was create a folder on my desktop with the name of the playlist. Drag and drop the songs from the iTunes playlist (in iTunes) into the folder on the desktop. Move the folder to the expansion drive.

Issues:
- none so far. I haven't run into any song limits or incompatible mp3's. I tested a few albums at the beginning, middle and end of my collection and didn't have any playback problems.

The best part about all of this is that my album art is back. I was using a 160GB ipod classic which is not compatible with the red grommetted cable - so no album art. Now I have 280GB of music and album art.

Last edited by -hef-; 02-17-2014 at 06:31 AM. Reason: added itunes playlist recreation
Old 02-17-2014, 06:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Genius!
Old 02-17-2014, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dmicah
Genius!
couldn't have been easier thanks to info I gathered on the board and some good old fashion luck with the cable and compatibility with the exact drive I bought. aside from the 8 hours it took to copy my music to the expansion drive, this was 15 minutes worth of work.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can only browse this via m3u playlists or actual playlists, correct? No "smart browsing" like a connected iPod or the jukebox?
Old 02-17-2014, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Kaitlyn2004
You can only browse this via m3u playlists or actual playlists, correct? No "smart browsing" like a connected iPod or the jukebox?
i am not sure what you mean by smart browsing. I navigate through the playlist like any folder that has mp3s in it.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:56 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by -hef-
i am not sure what you mean by smart browsing. I navigate through the playlist like any folder that has mp3s in it.
Haven't picked up our car yet, but this had me wondering....

Any chance flac or AAC files are recognized, or is it just mp3s?

Dave
Old 02-18-2014, 04:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by djdube525

Dave
FLAC: Definitely not
AAC: I *think* so, but don't quote me on it... need to double check.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Dave
From Audi:
...two SDHC card reader (up to 32GB), both with MP3, WMA and AAC-compatible; dynamic station list.....
Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Dave
i am curious about FLAC too - looks like Jaxen is saying no. Jaxen, did you test that yourself?

i dont have any FLAC files due to size nor do i have any AAC files in my itunes. i started replacing them a few years ago with mp3s because i found myself using mp3gain a lot on my older songs, and mp3gain is only compatible with mp3 files.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by -hef-
i am curious about FLAC too - looks like Jaxen is saying no. Jaxen, did you test that yourself?

i dont have any FLAC files due to size nor do i have any AAC files in my itunes. i started replacing them a few years ago with mp3s because i found myself using mp3gain a lot on my older songs, and mp3gain is only compatible with mp3 files.
Yes, I tested it.
FLAC files don't even show up in the MMI.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1TB of music by connecting up a Seagate HD