Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5: Help me understand Driver Assist Package before I place order

Old 01-26-2014, 04:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5: Help me understand Driver Assist Package before I place order

Drove and loved the SQ5 this weekend, and planning to order one this week. But I'm getting conflicting info about the Driver Assist Package that I'm hoping a current owner can definitively answer.

The package description on audiusa.com indicates that it includes "Dynamic Steering." If the vehicle doesn't have this feature, does Drive Select let me customize all the other performance parameters (e.g. throttle, suspension, transmission), but just not the steering?

I'm getting conflicting info about this. My salesperson said that the steering setting is just part of Drive Select, and even showed me the setting in the Drive Select menu (under "Individual").

This is sort of a big deal because I drove the car in "Dynamic" mode and really enjoyed it, and want to make sure that the car I order can be set up the same way. Any help appreciated!
Old 01-26-2014, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

My understanding is Audi defines "Dynamic Steering" as having variable ratio and boost whereas the normal ADS steering options are for amount of boost only. The fact that it's called out only with the Driver Assist pkg would seem to indicate it would not be included without the pkg. but otherwise the car would have the standard variable boost. SQ6 owners can chime in.
Old 01-26-2014, 06:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My understanding is based on the Q5, not SQ5, but it matches snagitseven's response.

Drive Select includes variable steering boost, which the driver can adjust using the Drive Select menu. Dynamic Steering provides a variable steering ratio. I did not order Dynamic Steering on my 2014 Q5, but I can still adjust the steering boost via Drive Select.

Here is a link to an Audi video that explains how Dynamic Steering:

Old 01-26-2014, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think most of us have no idea why the Prestige is an option. It gets you things like heated/cooled cup holders, window shades, and the option for comfort seats or driver assist packages. All SQ5s come with Drive Select which is where the steering is adjustable between comfort or dynamic. The Driver Assist package for Prestige SQ5s seems to only add adaptive cruise control. Not exactly worth $2750.

The Prestige SQ5 trim is really for those who want it all and don't care what the value is. You still get dynamic steering without the driver assist option, and it's included on Premium Plus cars.

EDIT: maybe I'm wrong and there is a difference with ratio as stated above, but really is there a difference?

Last edited by Transfer; 01-26-2014 at 08:25 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The variable ratio of the Dynamic Steering feature included in the Driver Assist Package varies the amount of steering wheel angle to the turning of the wheels based on the car's speed (and other factors). In other words, based on the operating factors, it determines how far the steering wheel must be turned to turn the car's wheels a given amount.
The Dynamic/Comfort/Auto ADS settings in cars w/o Dynamic Steering only affect the amount of variable steering boost, or force required to turn the steering wheel, based on speed.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The variable ratio of the Dynamic Steering feature included in the Driver Assist Package varies the amount of steering wheel angle to the turning of the wheels based on the car's speed (and other factors). In other words, based on the operating factors, it determines how far the steering wheel must be turned to turn the car's wheels a given amount.
The Dynamic/Comfort/Auto ADS settings in cars w/o Dynamic Steering only affect the amount of variable steering boost, or force required to turn the steering wheel, based on speed.
Thanks. I'm *almost* positive the test model I drove did NOT have DAP, but it definitely had a steering setting in the ADS menu that had a noticeable impact on steering feel. Your explanation would support this.
Old 01-27-2014, 12:11 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

AJM3, let me chime in here to say that the feature that I find myself using the most often is the Adaptive Cruise Control which I think is a feature in the Driver Assist package; I would not buy the car without it. I have the car set to Dynamic steering and like the feel throughout the speed range; I have not experienced any of the notchiness that others have mentioned. Steve
Old 01-29-2014, 07:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My Q5 TDI - 1 month of ownership, almost 3k miles

I myself struggled with the driver assist package also (which cannot be added without the prestige package).

I have to agree with most ppl here, prestige wasn't a must, but the driver assist was.

Out of both packages I find myself tinkering the most with the drive assist (changing different transmission modes (comfort- low rpm, quicker shifts; Dynamic - holds gear longer, more power when needed, but can be jerky; Auto), steering (dynamic - stiff all the time, comfort - soft, auto - soft at slow speeds, stiff at higher speeds)

I find that when its just me in the car, I prefer the transmission goes into dynamic mode, when I have people in the car, I set it to comfort in NYC. I set it to AUTO when I leave NYC.

Steering has been set to auto/comfort for the last 1,000 miles. (I have almost 3,000 miles in 3 weeks)

For long trips, adaptive cruise control is my best friend. I dont really need to pay attention to the road, (MMI has too many buttons)

Overall here is my survey scores for each functionality (meaning how much I love and use each function)

Adaptive Cruise Control - 5 Stars
Transmission Settings - 3.5 Stars
Steering wheel Settings - 2 stars (might go up if I'm not afraid to go faster on whiny roads)
Adaptive Headlights -3 stars
Cup warmer/cooler -2 stars
Auto sensor windshield wiper - 4 stars
Side Assist - 2 stars
TDI - 5 stars (30+ mgg highways, 24-26+ city)

IMO Anything below 4 stars, I wouldn't consider adding again.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks everyone. Very helpful indeed. I'm currently leaning towards spec'ing up a Premium Plus based on the price difference.

I wouldn't order a Prestige without Driver Assist. The adaptive lights are sweet, but I don't value them + sunshade + cupholder at $2,750. And since I'd never use the cruise control, I'd basically be paying $5,900 (after taxes) for the lights + dynamic steering. Pretty steep unless I can knock the difference down considerably.
Old 01-29-2014, 11:03 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I also highly recommended B&0.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: SQ5: Help me understand Driver Assist Package before I place order