97 A6 sedan New Owner issues

Old 12-21-2013, 11:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 A6 sedan New Owner issues

First Audi! 1997 Audi A6 Quattro Sedan. Around 165,XXX. Just bought it last week. Starting to spot some trouble areas.

First off the Gear Indicator on the dash doesn't display anything. It seems like its back-lit slightly but i'm not sure if its just light leaking from other instruments.

The sunroof also doesn't want to function right. it opens but then stops and makes a horrible grinding sound. Got it closed but it doesn't seem to sit right.

I was also planning on sea-foaming the car. Does anyone know the best method to do so? i assume the brake booster but don't know where it is on the car. Also never used sea-foam.

( Mirrors are fading a tad. Anyone know where to get replacement glass? )

Photos of Indicator and Mirrors attached. Thanks for the help! All input is appreciated!
Attached Images   
Old 12-21-2013, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 170 Likes on 149 Posts

Welcome. The gear indicator has a bulb that is soldered in place. If you STFAs, you'll find a DIY on how to replace it. Re: the side mirro glass, you can find replacement glass at your local dealer or at a discount from one of the on-line dealers, such as www.genuineaudiparts.com. Assuming both mirrors use the heated glass version, the P/Ns and on-line selling price are as follows:

* Driver's: P/N 4B0-857-535, $231.46
* Passenger's: P/N 4A1-857-536-AD, $161.63

You might also check a auto wrecker or eBay for a complete replecement side mirror assembly (including the mirror glass) for a lot less.
Old 12-21-2013, 06:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by A6Gary
Welcome. The gear indicator has a bulb that is soldered in place. If you STFAs, you'll find a DIY on how to replace it. Re: the side mirro glass, you can find replacement glass at your local dealer or at a discount from one of the on-line dealers, such as www.genuineaudiparts.com. Assuming both mirrors use the heated glass version, the P/Ns and on-line selling price are as follows:

* Driver's: P/N 4B0-857-535, $231.46
* Passenger's: P/N 4A1-857-536-AD, $161.63

You might also check a auto wrecker or eBay for a complete replecement side mirror assembly (including the mirror glass) for a lot less.
Thanks so much !
Old 12-22-2013, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I bought mirrors from eBay from Lithuania.

http://stores.ebay.com/Your-Auto-Wor...=p4634.c0.m322

Good quality. Easy install. Heaters work. Slight blue tint.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by rmccomiskie
I bought mirrors from eBay from Lithuania.

http://stores.ebay.com/Your-Auto-Wor...=p4634.c0.m322

Good quality. Easy install. Heaters work. Slight blue tint.
Thanks! Was hoping I wouldn't have to buy all new mirrors
Old 05-19-2014, 10:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Hawley12
First Audi! 1997 Audi A6 Quattro Sedan. Around 165,XXX. Just bought it last week. Starting to spot some trouble areas.

First off the Gear Indicator on the dash doesn't display anything. It seems like its back-lit slightly but i'm not sure if its just light leaking from other instruments.

The sunroof also doesn't want to function right. it opens but then stops and makes a horrible grinding sound. Got it closed but it doesn't seem to sit right.

I was also planning on sea-foaming the car. Does anyone know the best method to do so? i assume the brake booster but don't know where it is on the car. Also never used sea-foam.

( Mirrors are fading a tad. Anyone know where to get replacement glass? )

Photos of Indicator and Mirrors attached. Thanks for the help! All input is appreciated!
My backlighting failed years ago on the dash gear selector. It is just a cute unnecessary redundant indicator of the notched gear selector. It takes two grain of wheat bulbs hard soldered into place, much the same as the ambient temperature gauge, which probably isn't working either. I did fix that backlighting. Not difficult, but tedious.

Mirrors, yeah, mine are doing that too. The silvering is going. Junkyard or cough up the money.

Sunroof you have to worry about. Check that it is cleaned and greased, assuming that you can open it and close it.

Seafoam. Why bother? Mine has never had a carbon problem. Run some techron in your fuel if you feel you must do something. I guess you technically could put the tube in below the MAF sensor if you have to do it.