A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

replacing the power steering pump??

Old 07-19-2010, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing the power steering pump??

iv been experiencing some groaning noises in the morning when my car is in low rpm's. could this be the steering pump??
does anyone know where to find information about replacing the pump?
thanks in advance
Old 07-25-2010, 01:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Don't immediately assume that the "groaning" sound from the power-steering system requires replacement of parts. There's a progression of potential problems that need to be addressed, beginning with a healthy power-steering system that's just a bit low on power-steering fluid, ending with a leaky power-steering rack with failing seals and/or an abused/failing power-steering pump). Be aware that the Audi dealerships often take the stance that you must blindly replace the power-steering rack and the associated power-steering pump. Diagnosis of the underlying causes is key to determining where to begin.

If your power-steering system is fundamental healthy (no leaks or failed components), the issue is often just a case of slightly insufficient power-steering fluid, allowing air to be sucked into and circulated within the power-steering system, producing the "groaning" noise. For many of us, the information in the following link can quickly resolve the "groaning" problem (<$20 for materials):

DIY: B6 A4 3.0 - Power Steering Noise Fix - Audizine Forums (http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=335243)

The next step in working to resolve a power-steering "groan" is to flush and replace the power-steering fluid. The Audi power-steering system is very specifically tailored to use ONLY Audi-spec mineral-based synthetic power-steering fluid (the "green stuff" as it's referred to in the vernacular). Running any non-approved power-steering fluid (or any sort of mix of power-steering fluids) can result in the rapid decline and failure of the Audi power-steering system. The Pentosin CHF 11S is readily available from a number of forum sponsors (you can usually find it at most NAPA auto-parts stores --- it's used as hydraulic fluid by a number high-end industrial equipment manufacturers). Cost is <$50 in materials, labor costs will vary.

If a flush-and-replace of the power-steering fluid doesn't quiet things down, the usual next step is to replace the power-steering pump. This service step assumes that there are no obvious leaks from any portion of the power-steering system and no on-going loss of power-steering fluid. Again, the dealership service-writers will try to convince you that you must replace the power-steering pump and steering rack as a monolithic unit (their usual rationale for this approach is that either portion of the power-steering system will "contaminate" the other). The power-steering noise that was plaguing my wife's 2002 A4 3.0L Quattro (~100K-miles on the odometer) was eliminated at this step --- no subsequent "contamination/cooties" between the power-steering pump and the rack has prompted any steering system failure. Cost is ~$330 in parts, labor costs will vary.

The final step in eliminating any power-steering system noises is to replace the power-steering rack. Cost is ~$700 for the rack, labor costs will vary.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Good info mullard.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:35 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks! Just trying to help a fellow traveler stay on-the-road and enjoying the ride...
Old 11-11-2010, 03:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Damn Pump.

My car has decided to moan and groan the loudest it has ever done yesterday. I had confirmed that the fluid was filled according to plan. I had already done the hose clamp install thinking that I solved the problem since she got quiet as a mouse for a day. The temps last night weren't all that bad, low 50's, but making a turn into my driveway the groaning was loud enough to wake the dead, and the steering was really hard, proving to me that there is a serious hydraulic issue. As others have posted, I am quite reluctant to take the car to anyone since the "replace the pump and/or rack" recommendation is the likely result. It's easy to spend my money, and since this has put me off this car so much, I really don't want to drop another grand or more into repairs necessary due to some poor design.

Someone had suggested a complete fluid change. It was apparently done on another non Audi product and shut the system up, but that car was 12 years old with a somewhat unknown maintenance history. Although I didn't buy this car new, it only had 12K on it when I bought it 3+ years ago and now it has 46K.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

Been doing the research to replace my rack as it is leaking under the boot and found this DIY which sounds reasonable. Make sure you use the correct ps fluid as the wrong fluid may be the cause of your noise. If this doesn't quell the noise, then it may be the pump potentially caused by running the wrong fluid for a long time.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...light=ps+fluid