Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

Practicality of the corner view camera system

Old 01-20-2014, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Practicality of the corner view camera system

Hello,

for those of you who have the corner view camera system (which comes with the top view camera), do you find it practical enough that you use it often, or is it one of the options that are cool but get rarely used?

I'm mainly curious around how fast you can see the corner views on the MMI screen once you are stopped at an intersection.
Factors that could affect this may include having to press many buttons, having to dial the center **** several times, "lag" for the screen to load like the rear view.
If the corner view takes much effort/time to load, I think it might be impractical, as you may have (impatient) cars waiting behind you and it could be faster/easier to just look around yourself while moving forward slowly.

Thanks a lot in advance for any comments and input.

Last edited by agjil; 01-20-2014 at 05:18 AM.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its a cool gadget, but I think it could be better.
Audi uses 4 cameras (back, front, and two under the mirrors)
The wide angle front and rear cameras split the image into two for the "corner view" I find that BMW and M-B have better images with fixed fender cameras than Audi.

Also, because of the wide angle rear camera, the image quality is so so. On my last BMW I installed an aftermarket back up camera that worked much better than OEM. My Silverado and F-150 both had backup cameras that worked/showed better images than Audi's OEM. If I had a choice to take that options again, I would take it because its better to have the camera than not, however it would be nice to have an improvement.

Also, all above mentioned models with back up cameras worked "real time". I find that Audi has an ever so slight delay or lag. This should be considered when backing up fast into something.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:50 AM
Banned

I'm just getting used to it, but I think the split-view rear camera is very handy for backing out of parking spaces when I'm surrounded by SUVs. It sure as hell is better than no camera, since the B pillar is very large and blocks my view. In my mind, it's worth it. The overhead view is interesting but useless for me. This is my first 72 hour impression.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:39 AM
Banned

I use it all the time. I park on the street, so the top view is very useful to make sure i don't curb the wheels.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_L
I use it all the time. I park on the street, so the top view is very useful to make sure i don't curb the wheels.
I would like the option to program the car to switch to side view when you are indicating and increment velocity from a stop. I.E. if I am parked between 2 SUV's and I cannot see out to reverse then it should show reverse camera when I put it in Reverse (which it does) now if I indicate in addition to being in reverse then it should switch to side camera view.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DB22
I would like the option to program the car to switch to side view when you are indicating and increment velocity from a stop. I.E. if I am parked between 2 SUV's and I cannot see out to reverse then it should show reverse camera when I put it in Reverse (which it does) now if I indicate in addition to being in reverse then it should switch to side camera view.
You can't do that? I can do that. I have 5 choices of which I want to see; Front, back, front corners, rear corners, or top, plus I have top view with the rear view.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike_L
You can't do that? I can do that. I have 5 choices of which I want to see; Front, back, front corners, rear corners, or top, plus I have top view with the rear view.
I think additional camera angles are only possible with the Driver Assistance Package rather than a Prestige trim.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Love top view. Use it all the time parallel parking. I rarely use corner view but like everyone else nice to have than not.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I use top view all the time as well. There is no delay for any of the camera images popping up. They are all instant. As other have said the quality isn't the absolute best but they are definitely good enough to get the job done.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

I use the top down view all the time. It is especially useful to allow me to park at the last parking space and then get as close to the curb as possible without hitting my rims. This is to minimize the chance of door dings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Practicality of the corner view camera system