A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004

Any resolution to the weird inner front tire wear?

Old 09-07-2013, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any resolution to the weird inner front tire wear?

I have this issue where the inner edge of the front tire gets excessively worn, but only at one specific spot around the circumference of the wheel.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2794254
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1728838

In my case, its on a 225k mile a6 avant. It has only been in the last 2 years that this has really been an issue. There is a good chance it has always been an issue, but I think it has been exacerbated with a new set of 17x7.5 wheels, they have a little more offset then the S4 avus's I was running (with the same tires) before, and that seems to have accelerated the wear. This big issue here is I will ear a tire to the cords (in that one particular spot) in 5k miles. The rest of the tire may have 95% tread left, but I have to pitch it because of that wear spot. This spring I redid all the control arms in the front end and had the car aligned, but it does not seem to have done the trick. I also replaced the wheel bearing on that side 2 years ago. I've measured runout on the hub and the brake rotor and there is nothing out of whack (although this is being done without the suspension loaded). It's also not one specific wheel this happens on .

Have anyone who has had this issue in the past actually cured it? I like this car very much, and can deal with alot of issues, but buying a new tire every 5k miles is not something I want to continue to do (not to mention the safety issue)
Old 09-07-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well your camber is way off. You need to have whatevers worn replaced and an alignment on new tires. Worn out upper or lower control arm joints/bushings, tie rod ends, actual damaged/bent stuff. You just sighting it down is not enough, take it to an alignment shop and have them put it on a machine and inspect it. With 225k miles its going to have alot of worn out parts.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I would say it's your toe, need to get it aligned again, take it to the dealer for this job.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by rs4-380
I have this issue where the inner edge of the front tire gets excessively worn, but only at one specific spot around the circumference of the wheel.
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2794254
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1728838

In my case, its on a 225k mile a6 avant. It has only been in the last 2 years that this has really been an issue. There is a good chance it has always been an issue, but I think it has been exacerbated with a new set of 17x7.5 wheels, they have a little more offset then the S4 avus's I was running (with the same tires) before, and that seems to have accelerated the wear. This big issue here is I will ear a tire to the cords (in that one particular spot) in 5k miles. The rest of the tire may have 95% tread left, but I have to pitch it because of that wear spot. This spring I redid all the control arms in the front end and had the car aligned, but it does not seem to have done the trick. I also replaced the wheel bearing on that side 2 years ago. I've measured runout on the hub and the brake rotor and there is nothing out of whack (although this is being done without the suspension loaded). It's also not one specific wheel this happens on .

Have anyone who has had this issue in the past actually cured it? I like this car very much, and can deal with alot of issues, but buying a new tire every 5k miles is not something I want to continue to do (not to mention the safety issue)
If it happens with any one of the four or five wheels placed on the front (both fronts?) then it's not the wheels...my first thought was out of round wheels or tires.
Going from there, and given that you replaced a bearing without a problem prior to replacing the bearing...sounds like a bearing problem.
Is there any way you can load the suspension/tire and rotate the tire to see where it's hitting and what? Seems like you could rotate the tire wear mark closest to the suspension and then load the tire by taking it off the jack and inspecting how close the wear mark gets to anything. Then lift the car and rotate the tire, drop the car, and reinspect/measure.
Very strange that only one section of the tire is being worn...almost as if the tire is out of balance dynamically and is wobbling/hitting something.

The standard response is worn suspension parts causing cupping. Recheck all your suspension parts at 225K...you'd be surprised how many front lower suspension bjs are worn with 1-3mm slop. There should be NO movement when you load the front suspension and try to compress the bus with a big channel lock
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html

Last edited by SloopJohnB@mac.com; 09-07-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Well your camber is way off. You need to have whatevers worn replaced and an alignment on new tires. Worn out upper or lower control arm joints/bushings, tie rod ends, actual damaged/bent stuff. You just sighting it down is not enough, take it to an alignment shop and have them put it on a machine and inspect it. With 225k miles its going to have alot of worn out parts.
I'm sorry but I don't think you read the whole post. Never did I say I was sighting it down. Also, I mentioned that I replaced all the front control arms and did an alignment this spring. still same issue. It is not a camber issue, if it was it would be worn all the way around the tire.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SloopJohnB@mac.com
If it happens with any one of the four or five wheels placed on the front (both fronts?) then it's not the wheels...my first thought was out of round wheels or tires.
Going from there, and given that you replaced a bearing without a problem prior to replacing the bearing...sounds like a bearing problem.
Is there any way you can load the suspension/tire and rotate the tire to see where it's hitting and what? Seems like you could rotate the tire wear mark closest to the suspension and then load the tire by taking it off the jack and inspecting how close the wear mark gets to anything. Then lift the car and rotate the tire, drop the car, and reinspect/measure.
Very strange that only one section of the tire is being worn...almost as if the tire is out of balance dynamically and is wobbling/hitting something.

The standard response is worn suspension parts causing cupping. Recheck all your suspension parts at 225K...you'd be surprised how many front lower suspension bjs are worn with 1-3mm slop. There should be NO movement when you load the front suspension and try to compress the bus with a big channel lock
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/c...dtirewear.html
the issue did exist prior to the bearing replacement, but seemed to get worse afterwards. However the wheels with the lower offsets happened around the same time as the bearing so although I am not ruling out a new bearing (certainly don't want to do that again though) being a problem I am hesitant to go that way. I did all new control arms and joints this spring.

It's definitely not hitting/rubbing. It certainly looks that way, but after seeing the older posts with other people with the same issue, and checking for hub, rotor, and wheel runout, that doesn't seem to be it. People point to an alignment issue but it has to be more then that in my case. I'm wondering if anyone who had the issue in the past has cured it and can point to anything specific.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rs4-380
I'm sorry but I don't think you read the whole post. Never did I say I was sighting it down. Also, I mentioned that I replaced all the front control arms and did an alignment this spring. still same issue. It is not a camber issue, if it was it would be worn all the way around the tire.
Shoot i see that now, sorry your post was a tad difficult to understand. From reading it I thought you ment just the very outer edge wore to the cords and 95% of the tire is still good. So its only like, one spot on the tire? Pictures? It seems odd 2 years ago you did a wheel bearing and for 2 years its gotten alot worse. Maybe it was defective or pressed in wrong somehow.

Last edited by Prospeeder; 09-07-2013 at 04:51 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Prospeeder
Shoot i see that now, sorry your post was a tad difficult to understand. From reading it thought you ment just the very outter edge wore to the cords and 95% of the tire is still good. So its only like, one spot on the tire? Pictures?
yes, I realize the first link I posted isn't the exact situation, as that tire wore around the entire circumference. The 2nd link is the same situation but the pictures aren't up anymore. It's as if the tire WAS (it is not) rubbing on the spindle at only one point. There is a shallow groove worn into the tire at the inner shoulder, but it is not consistent, it is deepest at only 1 point (and obviously the shallowest 180 degrees from that point).

Some other older posts describing the same thing:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1694259
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1713969
Old 09-09-2013, 02:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt read thru the whole postings but wanted to share

i have a a6 and when I put the 18" rs6 wheels my front 2 tires got wear on the inside and it was from rubbing on the strut when the suspension is working up and down etc when you looked at the car on drive way and stuck your hand in there u would thing you have pleanty of space. but when driving thats when the problem comes up. my trend was prefect but inside edge went down to belts . i replace me 2 expensive tires and this time added 10mm spacer and prob is gonzo