A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update MMI 1190 to 3360 Successfully With 4F0906961AB CD

Old 03-28-2013, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Update MMI 1190 to 3360 Successfully With 4F0906961AB CD

So, got the cd and update the software on the 06 A8 today. Slow but done - vag-com to get back the battery level. Create the video from start to finish with every stage- the time to take is the time on the MMI starts to the time MMI ends. I even have the video on VCDS in the end to fix the battery level option.
I didn't do the 4610 because some people said they lost some items on the system menu. Until I know for sure nothing is going to be eliminated, I'll update. Now, I can use Nav10 DVD. AMI if I get it. I don't know if this version will work with back up camera, but I know my Q7 has 41.4 version.

Thanks everyone for putting up with all my questions and stuff - I always believe if it works don't fix it. Until I know I really benefit from 4610 - I will update.

Cheers,

Louis
http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/mmi-s...0-to-3360.html

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 03-28-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

What you did is just plain stupid. You took all risks (not really many) of updating, even more updating to an outdated version, because "some people said". Well you should know that some people will always "say something" just to show of their knowledge.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:55 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default WHY ???

I have to agree with Misha, you ask for help here https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2844917, Then just do the 3360 anyway, WHY ?

I also see that in doing the 3360 that you did not select the "DSP" as MP4.2+6.0 stated "fixed some old bugs with surround sound", what you seemed to miss is that anything that would go missing such as battery meter, instrument clusters settings such as speed warning in MMI, are all restored by hidden menu or Ross-tech vag-com.

Also "4140 improved bluetooth connectivity, added some track info to AMI, and added an altitude option to the map",Which you still do not have as you went with 3360, BUT 4140 is BUGGY,so do not use it, if you had gone directly to 4610 you would have had all of the previous updates including 2750,3310,3360,4140, But in a safer updated 4610 software install.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I notice absolutely no difference between 41.4 and 46.1. Because there is no difference besides the easier straight update
Old 03-29-2013, 08:35 AM
Banned

Default What are you saying Brozee ???

Brozee, he only did 3360 and no DSP, and 4140 had some problems, so I am saying not to use 4140, and to go straight to 4610 to get items such as "improved bluetooth connectivity, added some track info to AMI, and added an altitude option to the map" that 4140 has, and that 3360 does not include. Capisci ?

Originally Posted by Brozee
I notice absolutely no difference between 41.4 and 46.1. Because there is no difference besides the easier straight update

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 03-29-2013 at 08:39 AM. Reason: smile
Old 03-29-2013, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts

My Q7 has only 41.4 with camera and everything on it. One thing about the website is everyone has different experiences with the update. Dealer has no idea update exist even when I gave them my VIN number.
To me is this, it's more stupid to do things that we don't understand, I never get a straight answer from anyone about updating this.

Some said - items in menu is missing, can't get it back.
Some said - just use vag-com VCDS to get it back - where how?

I'm doing this update just for my curiosity because I didn't need it. Again, it's only time is wasted, why people are so worried about bricking the unit? If the procedure is correct, then the result is given - Success.

I do this one and I'm going to upgrade my camera and everything else when time comes, but at least I have something to show to the next guy who wants to do it.

It's easy to criticize than to do something productive.

If you think I'm stupid, don't answer the questions next time - I'm an elite software hardware engineer, I know how software is written to higher revs - the incompetent coders will fix something and screw something else especially across many models and options of cars- Did anyone verify any of these software update - just plain take Audi words for it?

If the software updates are so important, all dealers must be notified across the board - all models all options. Are we here so smart? Where is the logic?

Enough said, thanks for all your help, hope your cars run well.

Louis
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Sorry for using word stupid, but what you did was not smart eather. Nobody thinks that you are stupid. After all buying A8 was very smart decision.

But... You are not right about few things you stated in this post.

Some people did fry their MMI Modules, especially using older updates. Procedure is very simple but things happen.

You also got strait and wholesome answers that apparently you missed. If you didn't you wouldn't ask where to buy update software and wouldn't think about one from eBay.

Most of us did that upgrade and much more, so it was not just criticizing.

You have been told about Hidden Menu, one already enabled on your car.

All of us "verified" this software. Answers you are getting here are based on personal experience, not just Audi instructions.

All dealerships are informed about updates, but some guys don't care, some don't want to bother with it and some don't know. Some are selling original update CD's. Not all of them are good and trustworthy.

With all do respect, you sound like very young person, which is nice but have some setbacks.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:44 AM
Banned

Default Some said - just use vag-com VCDS to get it back - where how?

Hello Louis,

Besides Misha's little bit of a harsh statement "What you did is just plain stupid", We are all here to help, at least I know I am, as I am sure many others are, sometimes through different personality attitudes things get taken the wrong way.

that said,

You state "My Q7 has only 41.4 with camera and everything on it."

QUESTION & ANSWER = Factory 4140 ?, many people have had problem when updating to 4140, be it they did not listen, and they went straight to 4140 from version 2750 and below without upgrading to 3360 before upgrading to 4140, again 4610 takes care of all of that in one update.

You state "Some said - items in menu is missing, can't get it back."

ANSWER = they are wrong, period

You state "Some said - just use vag-com VCDS to get it back - where how?"

ANSWER = the same way you got the battery meter back, hidden menu, vag-com, or if you don't know how to get a particular item back, do a search here or ask what you are trying to get back, read up on the ross-tech, as stated before many times on this site only a few things go missing, and they are reactivated by same as I stated above.

You state "why people are so worried about bricking the unit?"

ANSWER= because some people don't listen, or follow the rules and think, oh I'll just slap this disc in, or there have been situations were the cd player would not read correctly and therefore the update failed in mid stream, or quite simply the MMI control head locked up during update and failed, or who knows why it just failed, THAT is why it is better to use the 4610 to get to the latest update we have in one shot, no need to go from 1109 to 3360 to 4140 to 4610, and risk any problems.

"If the procedure is correct, then the result is given - Success."

ANSWER = SO True.

You state "It's easy to criticize than to do something productive"

ANSWER = REALLY, We are here because we are productive and want to learn and share our knowledge.

You state "Did anyone verify any of these software update - just plain take Audi words for it?

ANSWER = Yes, my DSP definitely has more bass, I now have elevation on NAV screen, my phone now shows all info, etc.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Hold on a bit before firing away...

Welcome to the board by the way. A few things:

If you have 4140 on your Q7, congratulations: That is basically the notorious "brick" causing version. Please search the D3 A8 board...or the Q7 board! Each one had a specific early brick incident at 4140. It was very simple and appalling as it turned out: upgrade to 4140 without doing 3360 first and you WILL brick the system. Dealers stuggled to diagnose it too as owners sheepishly admitted what they had done, and the codes simply came back as "controller not recognized." $2000 for parts and labor for the MMI controller. Read the archives and it's unmistakable. I was here for it (among the few guys still around from then), and it was sad to experience actually. 4610 is probably is as much about getting the 4140 update disks out of circulation as anything else.

Meanwhile, assume if you want the dealer documentation and training is all hunky dorey and up to snuff, but that's risky. I'm actually right across the bridge from you here (guess what "MP" means...), and as your may have found at times even in a large metro market like this, D3 experience and lots of techs trained on A8's generally isn't really the norm. Not sure what the situation is in the East Bay, and the south bay and Fremont don't seem like a big A8/S8 market--I grew up in Fremont and had my first Audi there by 1977--but over here Rector seems pretty up to speed among them. MMI in second gen did spread to the Q7 and the C6 A6, so more info and training did get out there. Some of the best experienced posters here are in fairly small Audi markets comparatively, and other posters who have questions at times pretty clearly struggle with low volume dealers who barely ever see A8's for real.

On 4140 specifically, I happen to have the "factory" documentation, but only by fluke. It was not put out as a TSB, but rather a "customer pay" option. Someone posted the non-standard Audi documentation briefly on AW, but then it "disapppeared"--a not uncommon occurence when someone asserts a copyright or something proprietary I expect. The documentation did say you had to do 3360 as an update before 4140, but in this age of intant update gratification where everything is often thought of like a PC Mac or iPhone for constant updating, sure enough a few hapless souls "didn't get the [unavailable] memo," downloaded the code from some hack site (or got a disk "copy"), and then bricked it.

Search my posts by the way historically. You will find plenty of accurate info on the D3 and MMI. I have a 2006 and rode the updates from the 2xxx level forward, did the first documented D3 AMI install and a few other things. First person even tried to help the guys out when they bricked it back then.

BTW, I think you also dual posted on QW. I am on both (and try to keep the user name the same), but I also usually avoid dual posting unless I can't get a good answer on one site first. I do link from one to the other at times, especially if one has an interesting post of broader relevance for others. I find the straight dual posting can create confusion or frustration with experienced contributors at times, and sometimes I just hang back if it looks "commoditized." And yes, they are "harder graders" here at times w/ experience, and with an archive set many don't seem to check a lot. And if you think this crowd is even slightly hard BTW, try most any A4 board, Mini board and some others and buy an asbestos suit at times. I like QW too for some refreshing perspective--particularly some of the guys joining there the past year or two--but this board seems to have a critical mass who have dove deep into the car, including several on the non-U.S. side. FWIW by the way, at least some years ago I didn't find a lot of great info on the AW Q7 board in general. The AW D3 board seemed to have a lot more experience and some enthusiasts, even though it was a lower volume seller in those years. Haven't looked at the QW Q7 board in years so can't be sure there. All these cars have aged though beyond the preponderance of typical new car buyer and dealer service questions from earlier in a model life cycle.

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
My Q7 has only 41.4 with camera and everything on it. One thing about the website is everyone has different experiences with the update. Dealer has no idea update exist even when I gave them my VIN number.
To me is this, it's more stupid to do things that we don't understand, I never get a straight answer from anyone about updating this.

Some said - items in menu is missing, can't get it back.
Some said - just use vag-com VCDS to get it back - where how?

I'm doing this update just for my curiosity because I didn't need it. Again, it's only time is wasted, why people are so worried about bricking the unit? If the procedure is correct, then the result is given - Success.

I do this one and I'm going to upgrade my camera and everything else when time comes, but at least I have something to show to the next guy who wants to do it.

It's easy to criticize than to do something productive.

If you think I'm stupid, don't answer the questions next time - I'm an elite software hardware engineer, I know how software is written to higher revs - the incompetent coders will fix something and screw something else especially across many models and options of cars- Did anyone verify any of these software update - just plain take Audi words for it?

If the software updates are so important, all dealers must be notified across the board - all models all options. Are we here so smart? Where is the logic?

Enough said, thanks for all your help, hope your cars run well.

Louis

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 03-29-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 577 Likes on 483 Posts
Default Generally right, though...

Originally Posted by Brozee
You are generally right I think that it was in large measure to get flawed update 4140 gone. If you look at the 4610 TSB, nominally it deals with some phone module issues IIRC. Behind the scenes the sense was it tweaked somewhat further the bluetooth compatibility with various popular phones. That was a chunk of what 4140 was about, and if you look at the D3 archives historically you can find various folks grousing about some phone bluetooth problem. There was often a default assumption it was the car, even if many times it might have been the given (often Apple) phone.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update MMI 1190 to 3360 Successfully With 4F0906961AB CD