Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Well, found my first dislike with my Q5...

Old 12-10-2013, 06:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Well, found my first dislike with my Q5...

It's been 3+ weeks or so, but it was bound to happen... finally ran into the first thing that irks me!

I have the B&O system and the speakers have shiny/reflective rings around them

When I drive along the road at night, I get a reflection on each side of the ring from the streetlights. So as I'm driving I sort of get these 2 dots that go around in a circle on my windshield. I actually notice it quite a bit and find it rather distracting!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I bought the B&O in part for the good looks of those speaker rings They look great accenting the doors at night with the footwell lights activated.
Old 12-10-2013, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, I've been there.

You learn to ignore it after a while.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts
Default Agreed, and worse...

The dash in general was not well thought through in terms of material finishes, angles and reflectiveness into the windshield. I notice all kinds of elements of the dash reflected off the inside of the windshield. Much worse than other (many) Audis I've owned. For its price point, I like many of the design elements and features, but not this kind of thing.

Yet worse than stuff reflecting off the windshield is the left side air vent shiny outline trim that reflects off the outside mirror. When you look at traffic in the driver's side mirror, there is often a distracting dull superimposed line cutting through that mirror field of view caused by the inside grill trim. Again, I haven't seen that one before either. It seems to start from too much outlining of things with shiny finishes, and they are placed higher on the curve of the dash than other designs I've owned.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-10-2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
Yet worse than stuff reflecting off the windshield is the left side air vent shiny outline trim that reflects off the outside mirror. When you look at traffic in the driver's side mirror, there is often a distracting dull superimposed line cutting through that mirror field of view caused by the inside grill trim. Again, I haven't seen that one before either. It seems to start from too much outlining of things with shiny finishes, and they are placed higher on the curve of the dash than other designs I've owned.
Haven't noticed this one, but now that you mention it I'm sure that it's all I'll see in my commute tomorrow morning and in the days to come.

Thanks.
Old 12-10-2013, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts
Default Yep, the problem once someone mentions some new quirk...

it that will probably stick out much more now. When I first noticed it, I thought maybe it was a reflective problem with the (modest) front tint I added. But then I found exactly the same reflection in the unmodified 2014 2.0T loaner I got during service.

Here's a picture...taken while parked in the road of course... Now I remember it's not just the mirror, but the whole area near it. The line through the glass area was when it first caught my eye though.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 12-10-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-10-2013, 08:00 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MP4.2+6.0
it that will probably stick out much more now. When I first noticed it, I thought maybe it was a reflective problem with the (modest) front tint I added. But then I found exactly the same reflection in the unmodified 2014 2.0T loaner I got during service.

Here's a picture...taken while parked in the road of course... Now I remember it's not just the mirror, but the whole area near it. The line through the glass area was when it first caught my eye though.
light colored mirror housings clears up that problem
Old 12-11-2013, 12:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

It is not just a problem for the Q5, but also many other cars that have shiny metal parts on the dashboard
I just do not pay attention to it
Old 12-11-2013, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JaXeN
Yeah, I've been there.

You learn to ignore it after a while.
Agreed! I saw it too but I don't even notice it anymore.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Masking tape, or a q-tip or fine brush, and a can of matte spray or matte fixative. Spray the fixative in a cup, dab with the qtip or brush after masking around the speaker ring.

Voila, non-reflective speaker ring.

Or you could mask away and spray them, whatever works for you.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Well, found my first dislike with my Q5...