S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Ash Tray?

Old 01-14-2014, 06:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ash Tray?

Hi there,

Anyone know if there should be a ash tray in the front? I just bought a new S6 and see what looks like ashtrays in the back, but then just an empty box in the front. There is a Ashtray page in the owners manual, but mine is just an empty box, nothing like how it looks in the owners manual. It also shows a cigarette lighter next to the ashtray which is also missing. How do yours look? Is it missing a part?

Thanks.

-Dave
Old 01-14-2014, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

In the U.S. at least, starting with the MY2013, in the C7s Audi did away with the ashtray/cig lighter/12v socket in lieu of the covered storage bin. A couple of folks back in the summer of 2012 reported they were able to specify the ashtray at order of a MY2013 but I haven't heard of that since. I suspect the manual is showing what may still be available in other locales.
As you've discovered, there is still a 12v socket in the center console and one on the back of the console facing the rear.
Old 01-14-2014, 09:21 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hi there,

Any suggestion on if I can order the part, regardless of whether or not the cigarette lighter works? Do you think I would need a complete revision to the center console?
Old 01-14-2014, 01:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Safety equipment

The empty box is part of the safety equipment! Replace it at your own risk.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Part of the safety equipment? I too was stunned when, after picking up my A6 in FL and getting ready to make the drive back to DC, I opened the "storage" bin only to discover there was no 12v socket to plug in my detector.
Old 01-14-2014, 01:58 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklyn
Part of the safety equipment? I too was stunned when, after picking up my A6 in FL and getting ready to make the drive back to DC, I opened the "storage" bin only to discover there was no 12v socket to plug in my detector.
Been there, done that! Had to use the outlet in the center console and run a wire from the detector under the side of the transmission tunnel cover; or you could have a direct power supply installed by a stereo shop you trust.
Old 01-18-2014, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Ashtray Installed!

Hi all,

So I went back to the Audi Dealer and showed them the cigarette lighter on a used A6 on the lot. They then ordered that same Ashtray by part number. I now have a non-working cigarette lighter, and a perfectly fitted ashtray. There was no wiring for it, and if I wanted them to wire it they would basically have to make their own connector for the harness and run in back. It took roughly 1.5-2 hours of labor. The part cost $200 (I am asking Audi for reimbursement, we'll see) + $160 for the labor. The only downside is the cigaratte lighter doesn't work, but now I no longer have to have a cupholder ashtray taking up one of the two center cupholders so that's good! Just to let you know, if you push the dealer hard enough they will order the actual ashtray, and it is possible, don't them sell you the Audi Cup Ash Tray.

Just figured I would share.

-Dave
Old 01-18-2014, 07:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

So, if understand correctly, you spent $360 (with no guarantee that AOA will reimburse) to replace the storage bin with an ashtray and still ended up with no working 12v outlet? Wow. Also, what is a "cup holder ashtray"? Mine does not have anything like that, just the covered two cup holders with the forward storage bin in lieu of an ashtray/12v outlet (thankfully). Maybe it's a Premium Plus thing?
Old 01-18-2014, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, I'm not quite sure I understand what you did there, unless you just really wanted an ashtray and didn't really care about the outlet one way or the other. I definitely don't get why you'd think Audi would reimburse you but good luck!
Old 01-18-2014, 07:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
Also, what is a "cup holder ashtray"?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AUDI-ASH-TRAY-CUP-HOLDER-/141165494224?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20de1e7fd0

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ash Tray?