engine is reving 4000 rpm at 60 mph

Old 08-27-2006, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine is reving 4000 rpm at 60 mph

1996 a6 front drive auto transmission. engine is revving 4000 rpm at 60 mph on the freeway so I changed the fluid as the Bentley manual says but it still does the same exact thing with the new filter and fluid. By the way I got the fluid and filter as a kit from blauparts.com. The only reason that this concerns me is because I was reading the forum and noticed that people where saying that their cars where revving 3000 rpm at 60 mph. that was the only reason that I changed the fluid other wise it shifts and feels fine. Any help someone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: transmission is reving 4000 rpm at 60 mph

Yep your car isn't going into fourth gear. Better take it in and have it checked for codes, before you do some real damages to the trans if it hasn't been done already.
Old 08-27-2006, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Is all the transmission settings in the dash display lit? SOunds like your tranny might be in

limp mode.
Old 08-27-2006, 06:51 PM

Default Re: transmission is reving 4000 rpm at 60 mph

yes it is going into fourth i can count the shifts. and if it was not going into fourth wouldn't the trany be at alot higher rpms than than 4000 at 60 mph.

so limp mode means that your care drives completely normal except the engine revs high in fourth. that doesn't make cents to me can some one explain.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Is all the transmission settings in the dash display lit? SOunds like your tranny might be in

i dont know what you mean by "transmission settings in the dash display lit" if you mean some sort of warning lights, than therir is nothing. when the trany is in limp mode dose the "OK" in the dash message still light up or would it be repliced by a transmission falt indication. becuase every thing on the dash looks good. during start up i still get the "ok".
Old 08-27-2006, 07:25 PM

Default so what are the indications that your trassmision is in limp mode.

what happens....I mean, is it easy to not notice.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default When you serviced the transmission did you fill it according to tempurature?

If you're feeling the shifts, then I think it's probably not in "Limp Home" mode. I think in limp home mode it just stays in 3rd all the time (right guys?).

I'm still learning about these transmissions, so I don't know if the torque converter has a lock-up mode for each shift. If it does, you might just be feeling it shift out of first, then go into 2nd unlocked, 2nd locked, 3rd unlocked and then 3 locked. (I could be wrong there though).

If it were getting to 4th gear, you'd be doing 80mph at 3,900rpm...that's what mine does anyway.

You definately don't want to screw around with this though. Get it in and get it properly diagnosed. That transmission would be umpteen thousand to replace.

By the way, did you drain and fill the rear diff in the trans, and check the fluid level in the front diff? Neither will affect shifting but both are critical.
Old 08-27-2006, 07:55 PM

Default Re: When you serviced the transmission did you fill it according to tempurature?

stays in third all the time!!! then my tyranny cant be in limp mode right. yes did fill according to temp. it was doing this before and after the fluid change.

when a converter changes the engine speed it only changes like 400 rpm and dose not fell like a shift. Correct me if I am wrong. but that is good thinking and I truly know nothing about these cars. it was a free bee and I am starting to regret it.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Staying in 3rd all the time="Limp Home" mode.

If you've got shifting, then you're not stuck in limp home mode.

All of the shifting is done via the solenoids you saw on the valve body next to the filter. Remember all the wires going to the solenoids when you had the pan off?

Maybe it's as simple as a solder connection failing on the solenoid that shifts 4th? Maybe it's a bad valve body? Maybe it's a bad solenoid?

If the car was free, then maybe you can spend some coin getting it diagnosed. Might be something fairly simple.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:17 PM

Default good point

do you know if any of those problems should put the tyranny in limp mode. have you experienced any of these problems that you listed. you are right I have no choice but to throw down some coin and take it in. i just hate the idea of some one else working on my car. I cant belive that this has never haped to some one on here befor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: engine is reving 4000 rpm at 60 mph