S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Can you get tire pressure

Old 01-15-2014, 10:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can you get tire pressure

read out with the TPMS system in the S6? Or only flat tire warning.
Old 01-15-2014, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

No, it's an indirect system so it recognizes a change, not absolute values.

The A8 may still have the direct system that would offer values.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

The C7 with it's passive TPMS will display the individual tire that's low but with no PSI readout. It usually takes about a 7 PSI drop from the driver's MMI setting before it displays an alert.
Old 01-15-2014, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just wanted to chime in here. I am glad Audi is using the "rotational computation" type sensor. The direct sensors that mount inside each wheel on the valve stem are more trouble than they're worth. I have heard about batteries dying right after the warranty runs out, water getting into the electronics, tire shops destroying them when they mount/dismount tires, etc. Not to mention the added expense of buying an additional set of sensors if you're running winter wheels.
Old 01-16-2014, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

its not 100% accurate anyhow, every car that ive had with it is all the same. my current cayenne s has it and its not accurate, when I use a snap-on digital tire gauge it always reads different.
Old 01-16-2014, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mikec7s6
its not 100% accurate anyhow, every car that ive had with it is all the same. my current cayenne s has it and its not accurate, when I use a snap-on digital tire gauge it always reads different.
Just to play devil's advocate, which is right?

The data geek in me likes the idea of an exact digital readout - and I suspect most of them can be calibrated, so yeah once you put your NIST-traceable pressure gauge on there you'd wanna calibrate the in-car system I suppose :P
Old 01-16-2014, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbonator
Just wanted to chime in here. I am glad Audi is using the "rotational computation" type sensor. The direct sensors that mount inside each wheel on the valve stem are more trouble than they're worth. I have heard about batteries dying right after the warranty runs out, water getting into the electronics, tire shops destroying them when they mount/dismount tires, etc. Not to mention the added expense of buying an additional set of sensors if you're running winter wheels.
I never had an issue with mine on the Porsche. It's nice to know how much pressure is in there. I had a screw in a tire once on the way down to Key Largo from Miami. There's nothing on that stretch but mangroves on either side. My TPMS warned me with 35 PSI, then 33, then 30 etc. I barely made it to the first tire center, but I made it. Had I stopped on the road to check the tire I would have run out of air for sure before making it to the repair shop. I wish we had real sensors. They're not exact, but they're pretty close.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm fairly certain the A8 is the only model that still utilizes the in tire sensors, however, I am not sure if it is all of them or if it is an option. I know the previous model A8's would give you not only tire pressure for all 5 tires but internal temperature as well, the temperature readout is a quick way to find out if you have a brake issue, like a stuck caliper or even a bad wheel bearing, if one tire is substantially hotter than the rest it is a sure sign that something is wrong in the area of that wheel. Now I am curious, I am going to look into the newest A8's and see what kind of info you can get from the TPMS system.
Old 01-16-2014, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Jake-AudiUSAParts
Now I am curious, I am going to look into the newest A8's and see what kind of info you can get from the TPMS system.
Cough, retrofit!, cough.

I suspect there's a TPMS receiver somewhere and a coding for MMI to use it vs the ABS one...but maybe I'm just an optimist.
Old 01-16-2014, 02:16 PM
RFS
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by mikec7s6
I have three different types of gauges... none of them ever match. I've always been confused as to the acuracy, or lack of, with tire pressure readings.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Can you get tire pressure