A4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A4 produced from 2008.5
Old 08-22-2016, 02:35 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A4 (B8) Exterior Guides
Print Wikipost

Fuel door problem

Old 01-22-2011, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel door problem

Anyone else experiencing an issue with the fuel door? Whenever i pull into a station the attendant cant open it. I press the unlock door button over and over an nothing, only thing that works is closing the doors locking the car with the key fob and unlocking them again with the key fob. Annoying as hell. I'm gonna have to take it in to get it looked at.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

The only problem that I experienced is that fuel door is difficult to open during the winter; a few nights ago, I had to spend several minutes scraping ice out of the crevice between the fuel door and the surrounding body panel before I could get the door open. I never had a problem getting a traditional door open during the winter.
Old 01-22-2011, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Using some spray silicone on the latch mechanism keeps it from sticking in cold weather. Works great on door seals too.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine froze up pretty good had to dump some windshield wiper fluid in it to thaw it out.
Old 01-22-2011, 10:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by sadj2885
Anyone else experiencing an issue with the fuel door? Whenever i pull into a station the attendant cant open it. I press the unlock door button over and over an nothing, only thing that works is closing the doors locking the car with the key fob and unlocking them again with the key fob. Annoying as hell. I'm gonna have to take it in to get it looked at.
This happened to me once at the gas station. I had to restart the car and then turn it off again to get the fuel door open. Since then, I've seen the error come up one more time in a VAG-COM scan as an electrical fault to the fuel door locking mechanism IIRC, but I don't remember having any issue at the pump.

The issue's not reproducible so I didn't bother having the dealership look at it.
Old 01-23-2011, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

same issue here except mine won't even open at all after re-start and etc... Ended up using to manual release at back of the trunk (see manual for detail). First real issue on my B8 but a very annoying one. Scheduled to a visit next week to the dealer will see what they say.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ItsDubC
This happened to me once at the gas station. I had to restart the car and then turn it off again to get the fuel door open. Since then, I've seen the error come up one more time in a VAG-COM scan as an electrical fault to the fuel door locking mechanism IIRC, but I don't remember having any issue at the pump.

The issue's not reproducible so I didn't bother having the dealership look at it.
Don't clear the fault codes. I had the same problem with my fuel door not unlocking. Took it to the dealership and they replaced the fuel door release servo under warranty.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Make sure the key is in the ignition and the car in in "P"
Old 01-24-2011, 04:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NJRoadFan
Don't clear the fault codes. I had the same problem with my fuel door not unlocking. Took it to the dealership and they replaced the fuel door release servo under warranty.
Ya in hindsight I should not have cleared the code but I was tinkering w/ VCDS and wanted to get a baseline readout w/ as few error codes as possible (I don't have my Sirius activated so that always comes up in the scan). The next time I see the code, I will probably leave it and take it in for them to see.

I've seen other B8ers report this issue as well; could be one of those B8-specific issues that have flown under the radar and haven't yet been addressed.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD15
The only problem that I experienced is that fuel door is difficult to open during the winter; a few nights ago, I had to spend several minutes scraping ice out of the crevice between the fuel door and the surrounding body panel before I could get the door open. I never had a problem getting a traditional door open during the winter.
Silicone or vasoline work well on this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel door problem