A6 / S6 (C5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C5 Audi A6 and S6 produced from 1998-2004
Old 08-15-2016, 12:45 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Audi A6 (C5) Cooling System Guides
Print Wikipost

BLEEDING COOLANT SYSTEM

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BLEEDING COOLANT SYSTEM

can some one please tell me where are the bleeding points ARE for the coolant system i removed all the coolant but need help with finding the bleeding points i have a 1999 audi A6 quattro wagon v6 2.8L
Old 02-24-2010, 09:54 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

The most important bleeding point is the hose that leads to the heater core. Pull back the covering from those hoses, and find the hose that has a small hole pre-formed in it. Loosen the clamp and slide that hose off of the barb enough to cause the hole to clear the barb.

With the engine OFF, and COLD, start filling the coolant. stop filling when the tank is full, let it settle, refill. sometimes it helps to remove the screws that hold the tank to the car, and hold it up as high as the hoses will let it. Keep doing this till you get a steady flow out of the bleed hole. Slide the hose back on, and let the coolant settle some more. Once the level remains constant in the tank, start the engine, and let it come up to temps. Make sure to have the heat on full hot. give the engine a few runs up in the revs, and shut it off, let it sit.

Top up the coolant as needed.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

STFA - there are a thousand threads on coolant flushes.

But just to add to Kris' comment - yes the most important bleeder is the heater core located just to the right of the battery under the rain catch panel. (Remove rubber strip, pull panel towards front of car to remove.) Your outlet hose will have the bleeder hole (you'll see in the hose a little tiny hole that is surrounded by white) - after unclamping the hose, pull it back (twds front of car) until it is JUST off of the "pipe", of the core, so to speak.

I'm not sure about the 2.8L but my 2.7L also has another bleeder hole in the coolant pipe just to the right and below the TBB in front of the mani. It's a 5mm Hex I believe. Bentley states there is another bleeder on the return line just under the expansion tank on the 2.8's. This one is to be bled before the one by the TBB. (Go in order - Heater Core --> Reservoir Return Line --> TBB). My 2.7 doesn't have the return line/inlet one, or at least I never found it - so what I do is just d/c the inlet hose from the tank until I get a steady flow of coolant, then reconnect inlet to tank. I strongly suggest doing a better STFA or buying a bentley repair manual before attempting another job like this without proper instructions though...

Hope this helps!