A4 (B6 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B6 Audi A4 produced from 2002-2005

Loud clunk and wheel bumps out when braking!!!

Old 08-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loud clunk and wheel bumps out when braking!!!

When I brake my front passenger wheel makes a loud tinny sounding clunk and the wheel jumps out a little. A mechanic watched it while another drove slowly and then braked. They saw it do the jump out and clunk. The only thing they think it could be is a bad Rear lower control arm...

I had replaced the Front Lower Control Arm's inner bushing because it was destroyed and I thought that was the noise....

But now the mechanic "thinks" it is a bad rear control arm? He said he couldn't see anything loose to make the wheel jump out that much and he wants me to have his alignment shop he uses look at it. I figure its hard to tell without actually taking out the arm and inspecting it.

Has anyone ever seen or heard or this?
Old 08-18-2011, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts

All I can say is control arms are weak points on the A4. Generally, people replace them all if doing one, so it makes sense.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Do you think that the control arms could cause the whole wheel jump outwards from my car?
Old 08-18-2011, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Did they check the wheel bearings?

I replaced my entire front suspension and both front axles, and I've still got some loud popping from somewhere.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I don't think so because they didn't take anything off. But that is exactly what I don't want to happen! I don't have $500 to blow on a new suspension kit and then find it did nothing...
Old 08-24-2011, 11:18 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

@Spinetti Did you find out what was wrong?
Old 08-25-2011, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by thejulianath20
@Spinetti Did you find out what was wrong?
Yes. I took a risk and bought the ebay full suspension replacement kit with bolts and all. It was well packaged, the castings looked as good as factory - it all looked great. The RF had been replaced by the previous owner, so I just did the LF front and both tie rod ends.... Short story is every single part failed within three months. Of course the vendor jerked me around and said just pull it all and they would look at it.... Right... leave my car down for months? I don't think so. I'll be getting after them. All my big clunks were the LF control arm ball joints failing and the tie rods failing. Grr. Was worth a try I guess. Anyway just now (as in just came in the house 20 min ago) I replaced the control arms with ones from ECS tuning, and I pinned the tie rod ends to take the float from the crappy rubber bushing out. I'll test drive in the morning, and if ok, get it aligned. (I also replaced the LR wheel bearing last week, but that wasn't part of the clunkies).... Just a few more odds n' ends (minor exhaust leak somewhere) and it will be good as new, and 200k miles

cheers.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes please let me know when you test it all tomorrow.

I too replace my tie rods, because Firestone told me "They're way too loose and the nut is stripped on one". So I bought my tierodends from 1aAuto and replaced them myself and then drove to firestone and had them do my lifetime alignment. Then later that day I noticed the knocking(clunking) sound.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:48 AM
Former Vendor

Very nice keep us updated.
Old 08-31-2011, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by thejulianath20
Yes please let me know when you test it all tomorrow.

I too replace my tie rods, because Firestone told me "They're way too loose and the nut is stripped on one". So I bought my tierodends from 1aAuto and replaced them myself and then drove to firestone and had them do my lifetime alignment. Then later that day I noticed the knocking(clunking) sound.
Its much better, but there is still something popping somewhere. Going to replace the motor mounts this week as the motor hops around a lot. Not sure if that's related or not. Noise could be inner tie rods I suppose. Its much better, so I may just leave it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Loud clunk and wheel bumps out when braking!!!