Notices
A6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi A6 produced from 2011 - 2017

ÇVT owners do you get this jerk?

Old 09-14-2013, 03:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ÇVT owners do you get this jerk?

Hey all

Been a few months since I've last been on here. The C7 has been resting haha. I put nearly 10k miles in 5 months and since December only 2k miles.

Cars running great but had a few questions want to make sure this isnt cause of concern.

If you put the car in R and step on the pedal right away the car bucks and jerks before it starts moving. A way to avoid this is to put car in R and wait a second before stepping on the pedal. You can also feel the car officially going into R if you wait a second.

Putting in it D also wait a second.

I have always being doing this but is this normal CVT? Do you guys also experience this?
Old 09-14-2013, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The cvt is a weird transmission. Audi isn't the only one that uses it. But it does have some nuances of jerking and hesitation, especially at lower speeds and stop and go.

Very smooth on the highway once you're up to speed. There's no torque convertor on a cvt transmission.

You might want to check with the shop to make sure there's no open recalls or other issues with your car.

But it sounds like some normal quirks of driving a cvt car under specific circumstances.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

It's expected so you really should not accelerate before the gear is engaged. The CVT does not have a torque converter like an automatic to absorb and smooth out speed and direction changes in the driveline. There is a planetary gearset that has to come to a stop, then turn in the other direction when you go into reverse. If you rev the engine while it is doing this, you will feel a nasty jolt as it brings all that power to a stop.
Old 09-14-2013, 05:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

I even had a hesitation on acceleration, it would take a second after pressing the gas before the car would move. It was so bad that the car would roll back on a hill for a second even after the gas was applied. Problem went away since upgrading to a 2013 with an 8spd
Old 09-14-2013, 08:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks for the replies guys, guess it is normal. Never really noticed it but then again I have not driven the car in so long.

Apparently there is a new CVT out that was introduced in week 48, if the CVT has to be replaced they replace it with the new one, wonder whats different in the new one? Just some info for those with CVT that might have issues, I might get mine checked out just for fun, who knows maybe they will replace it :P.

I recently had a B8 A4 for a few months before getting rid of it and I have to say 6 speed auto was very jerky and noisy. The CVT in the A6 is far quieter and smoother. The 6 speed would also jerk nastily in reverse or in drive and would make awful noise upon fast acceleration. The new 8 speed is somewhat quieter but still not nice IMO. Maybe its a Audi thing?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:20 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got a chance to drive the 2014 8-speed as a loaner and did not like it while my '08 was getting a CVT replacement. It didn't feel any different than my current B7 (7-speed). The only difference was the newer models are somewhat quieter but still inhibits the usual CVT 'kick' and slow to start.

Back to subject:
My transmission only had 39,000 miles when it needed a replacement. Symptoms were when the car develops routine hesitations and jerks heavily while accelerating from a dead stop. This is a shame otherwise my car operates fine if it weren't for this crappy gearbox. As I mentioned before, the newer CVT boxes are not that much difference compared to the previous models, except for the updated clutch packs.
Old 03-12-2014, 03:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 80sGuy
I got a chance to drive the 2014 8-speed as a loaner and did not like it while my '08 was getting a CVT replacement. It didn't feel any different than my current B7 (7-speed). The only difference was the newer models are somewhat quieter but still inhibits the usual CVT 'kick' and slow to start.

Back to subject:
My transmission only had 39,000 miles when it needed a replacement. Symptoms were when the car develops routine hesitations and jerks heavily while accelerating from a dead stop. This is a shame otherwise my car operates fine if it weren't for this crappy gearbox. As I mentioned before, the newer CVT boxes are not that much difference compared to the previous models, except for the updated clutch packs.
Do you know what specific part of the transmission failed? Was it the clutch pack?
Old 03-12-2014, 06:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I just had my 2013 CVT in for 15k service and was given a 2014 CVT loaner and I definitely noticed a difference. Mine has that roll boostedws6 was referring too and it is also pretty jerky when accelerating in the lower gears. The loaner actually pulled forward much more once you let off the brake from a stop and the acceleration felt much smoother.