More Turbo Power

Old 03-23-2006, 03:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Turbo Power

I've been captivated by the threads where you've increased your boost and gotten lots of power. I have a stock 89 200TQ which is a very nice car, but not exactly powerful.

I recently purchased a 91 GMC Syclone which IS EXACTLY POWERFUL. If you don't know what a Syclone is, look it up. It will eat up almost anything on the road. Anyway, the truck is only a 4.3 V-6 with lots of boost. So now I'm a boost fanatic. And I need a ballpark idea of what it will cost to bring my beloved 200TQ to the starting line.

Thanks in advance, Dave
Old 03-23-2006, 03:50 PM

about $300 and about 2 hours
Old 03-23-2006, 04:09 PM

Default Re: not really $300...

According to carpoint.com '91 GMC Syclone has 280HP and 350 (lb-ft) torque. IMHO to make running Audi 200 in a same way he might need to switch to EFI.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:16 PM

Default my 200 is running close to or better than that on cis

the mods are relativly simple
Old 03-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: my 200 is running close to or better than that on cis

Black-Wolf, could you specify the modifications you made. Thanks, Dave
Old 03-23-2006, 06:30 PM

Default Re: ye, I know, but

Yes, I know about mods on CIS, I know about evilwagon and toxcheap (but in their case it wasn't only $300 invested). But thing is: CIS mods (alone) already pushing into area of unknow reliability and other issues. At a same time that Syclon's (or any car which is more powerfull) numbers are stock, it can produce those specs all day long.

I'm so anxious to see dynotest results of CIS modified (in a cheap way) 5KTQ or 200. I'll dynotest mine once its completed.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default i'd wanna see numbers of some sort that back that up.....

just the CIS mods it would be tough to get those numbers. you need intake/exhaust etc as well.

i don't think that CIS mods make it unreliable either. you're on the edge of a slippery slope! there's not just 1 thing that could/should be done.

i'd do:
exhaust- 3 inch
chip- something good, i don't like the qlcc stuff for higher boost.
intake- good/high efficiency intercooler
increased fuel whether CIS or EFI
cam- NOT OVERLAP

and see where that lands you. where do you live? there might be someone from MG near by with a 10v engine who know's what their doing.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I'm with Wolfy... IF you do the research/work yourself...

I've been asked by a couple of people about a 6th injector kit. I'm looking at putting one together with new parts so it won't be a as inexpensive as FrankenAudi and his junkyard hunted bits and bobs.

If you find the QLCC code and the instructions on the R-mod you can pull that off yourself inexpensively. Otherwise there are several sources for chips and springs out there.

Some really easy tricks for the CIS can reliably increase your fuel capability. Being a mechanical system it is very reliable and robust. You'll notice that the CIS dizzy has a 6th location that isn't populated. This immediately tells me the the head is capable of substantially more fuel flow than stock.

More boost? Adjustable WG cap and 6th injector. I've posted what I did to FrankenAudi a couple of times. He still passes emissions tests because of the method I used.

I haven't dynoed him but 19 to 21 PSI gives a prety good jolt. See www.toxcheap.com for some great shots and some dyno charts.
Old 03-24-2006, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: i'd wanna see numbers of some sort that back that up.....

I live in Iowa not far from Chicago. Thanks for all the advice.

Just exactly what is EFI? I've been assuming it's the generic fuel injection system which uses a fuel pump, some solenoid controlled injector valves, and computer feedback?? I've had these on everything from Nissan to GM and they're great. My "#*@@*$#!!" fuel control is the only really bad feature of my 89-200TQ.

So, I suppose one would have to get the computer and all the sensor inputs, and injectors, fuel pump, pressure regulator, intake manifold,........We're not talking $300 here.

Dave
Old 03-24-2006, 03:05 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: I'm with Wolfy... IF you do the research/work yourself...

OK. So what's a QLCC code? And a CIS dizzy? duh. I don't know if Audi drivers are baseball fans, but when a ball is thrown to a baseman and he doesn't catch it, the error is usually awarded to the thrower.

dave<ul><li><a href="http://L">http://L</a</li></ul>

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: More Turbo Power