Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

Flat tire - Problem with collapsible spare

Old 02-14-2014, 04:04 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat tire - Problem with collapsible spare

I blew out a tire last week and tried to use the collapsible spare. For whatever reason the spare would not inflate, tried the compressor they give you, took it to multiple gas stations, still no luck..

I did use it once before and it worked fine however, the second time around I couldn't get it inflated. Anyone have any clue why it wouldn't work?

Do you guys know the cost of a replacement or what it may cost to repair?
Old 02-14-2014, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tkd1979
I blew out a tire last week and tried to use the collapsible spare. For whatever reason the spare would not inflate, tried the compressor they give you, took it to multiple gas stations, still no luck..

I did use it once before and it worked fine however, the second time around I couldn't get it inflated. Anyone have any clue why it wouldn't work?

Do you guys know the cost of a replacement or what it may cost to repair?
question, when you collapse the tire. did you remove the valve pin inside the valve? or did you press the tiny needle to deflate the tire?
Old 02-14-2014, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I feel your pain. I have had plenty of flats over the years with previous cars but none with the Q5--yet. I still think it is inexcusable for an SUV/Crossover type vehicle to not include a full spare! No donuts and no collapsibles. By definition when you get a flat tire you are in distress. The last thing you should have to think about at that moment is having to inflate some collapsible tire with a compressor that may or may not function correctly. If I could choose to pay a couple hundred dollars more for a Q5 with a full spare in the undercarriage I would readily do so over the current collapsible spare option. Shame on Audi for being so clueless!
Old 02-14-2014, 07:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't do it. I believe the tire shop removed the valve pin.
Old 02-14-2014, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 576 Likes on 482 Posts
Default Replacement spare can be found on eBay at times

Either the steel rim ones or the earlier alloy ones. Sometimes < = $150, but none currently at a rational price. With my extra winter/summer tire set always around home, I got an alloy one for the Hybrid to keep at the distant vacation home--all we get is a can a goo and the pump. The hybrid battery pack takes over the spare well and storage nook entirely.

Probably the last time your tire was inflated and deflated, the tire bead moved well away from the rim edge and now it's no where close to a seal when you try to air it up. With a high powered air hose, try to get the bead better positioned near the rim edge on both sides to where the air can push it out the last bit and form the seal. Then try a careful deflate, watching carefully where that bead settles and not forcing it away from the rim edges.

Last edited by MP4.2+6.0; 02-14-2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

If you are in north Queens, I'd say to try TM&T. Looks like a hole in the wall station, just west of the Harley Davidson store on the north side of Northern Blvd around 50th? street. Across from the old Pathmark.

They're tire guys and surprisingly good tire guys who have been there for two generations now. If it is something like the valve stem being out, or the tire being off the bead, odds are they'll fix it without ripping you off.

There's only so many reasons that a tire "won't inflate" and anyplace that thinks it is rocket science, should be targeted for a rocket attack.

These odd spares MUST be available unused from the junk yards, after all there is one in each smashed Q5 and not much else uses them, does it?