A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Can Watch TV With 5.1 Digital Sound On MMI 2G

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 10:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default I Can Watch TV With 5.1 Digital Sound On MMI 2G

Alright, got the parts yesterday, made up cables and tried it tonight, it did come out. AV2 got problems, only BW and 80% of the screen (output of the ATSC tuner only 720x480), parking mode got full screen and color. Need to figure it out somehow.
The sound is amazing with Bose surround sound since HD TV broadcast with 5.1 digital sound. I'll try to tune the Jazz channel on TV in the bay area, it would be wonderful with full surround sound.

Analog TV Tuner - 4E0 919 146 = $113 shipped
ATSC MH Tuner - $80 shipped

Cheers,

Louis

<a href="http://www.dognmonkey.com/audi/watch-atsc-ota-tv-on-mmi-2g.html">will write up</a>

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 08-13-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Please link me to where you got them.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:54 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default •Bose speaker system; 13 speakers; 1 subwoofer; 5.1 surround audio; 630 watts

Hello Louis,

I am not sure, But I think the Bose 5.1 is much newer then our vehicles, it looks like 2011 or 2012 started with the 14 speakers and twelve channel AMP with Surround Sound: Centerpoint® 2
and SurroundStage® Signal Processing
as well as 5.1 Surround Decoding.

http://www.bose.co.uk/GB/en/Images/B...tcm6-66921.pdf

http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a8/a8...equipment.html

Bose Surround Sound System
- 14 high-performance speakers including subwoofer
- Dashboard – two tweeters and a centre speaker
- Front doors – two bass modules with Bose Acoustic Wave Speaker Technology and two mid range driver speakers
- Rear doors – two mid range drivers in doors and two tweeters in the B pillars
- Parcel shelf – A subwoofer and two surround sound speakers
- 12 channel DSP amplifier with over 600 watt output located in boot
- Surround sound reproduction from digital 5.1 recordings (DVD) and from stereo sources (CD, Radio, MP3) via the patented Bose Centerpoint 2 technology
- Speaker trim design with chromed plastic frames, protector and Bose logo
CD/DVD Changer for 6 DVDs and/or CD's (MP3, WMA, AAC and WMV formats) located in the glovebox

Also did you go into setup setting in the MMI for TV ?

I think this all should have stayed in your original thread, that way it's a on going complete setup, just my thought though.
Attached Images    
Old 08-14-2013, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Components

Hello Johnny,
I think you have all the trimmings (hybrid digital tuner), that's why you have the option of tuning. I only have the Analog TV. The reasons I created new thread because that last one was just questions.
I didn't have to use VCDS, the MOST bus see it right away. I took out the green connector from the RVC control module and put it on the TV to see. When my cable comes, I'll hook everything up: Analog TV output --> RVC control module --> FBAS.

About the digital 5.1, I don't know if my car can decode it, but it sure sounds incredible, better than ipod or CDs. The camera mic is mono, and it still came out clear.

For Brozee, I don't know what you need, but if you want the TV tuner, <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200814087600">this guy has one more and he shipped fast</a>.
The <a href="http://www.vcan.cc/atscmh2012-car-dtv-digital-tv-receiver-usa-mobile-handheld-tune-p-1181.html">ATSC MH tuner</a>. My contact is <a href="mailto:sales98@vcan.cn">Kiki Liu</a>.

For some reasons, I read the specs and I thought it's RF remote control, but it's not, it's IR, therefore, I have to point the remote at the receiver, it's slow and not very responsive, but it works (well I expect too much from $50 tuner :-)).

Now, before you jump the gun and get the ATSC MH, make sure you have TV stations in your area that broadcast the mobile signals or something like that. I have 69 channels OTA where I live and I only could scan 1 KTVU (fox) mobile channel.

I would go to <a href="http://www.walmart.com/ip/15523789?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=2222222222700947643 9&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=13999574470&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl 6=34919087350&veh=sem">walmart and try these out before buying from China</a>, yes this one is stationary tuner and not mobile.

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 08-14-2013 at 10:32 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:03 AM
Banned

Default Analog ....

Hello Louis,

It does not matter the fact Analog vs. Digital, both have the setting to be set, here in lies the problem I think you are going to face,

1) when selecting "TV" and "SETUP" you can set "TV FORMAT" 16:9 or 4:3, then choose from 26 settings in "TV STANDARD", BUT NONE of that helps us right now as we do not have a OEM ATSC TUNER.

2) When selecting "EXTERNAL AV1 OR AV2 SOURCE" YOU still set the "TV FORMAT" to 16:9 or 4:3, set to 16:9, now here is what I think the problem is, when YOU go to set "TV STANDARD" in "EXTERNAL AV1 OR AV2" YOU only have 3 selections "PAL", "NTSC", AND "SECAM", of course we have to select "NTSC" as our standard, and being your after market tuner is outputting ATSC that is a problem, OR is YOUR after market receiving ATSC and outputting NTSC ?
Attached Images   

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 08-14-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ATSC-M/H

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Now, before you jump the gun and get the ATSC MH, make sure you have TV stations in your area that broadcast the mobil signals or something like that. I have 69 channels OTA where I live and I only could scan 1 KTVU (fox) mobile channel.
Most interesting.
Big picture is making more sense to me now, and that's what the Dyle TV thing is I keep hearing about.
Had looked at it very seriously but while it's free now, you will have to subscribe in 2014.
Not sure if this applies to the VCAN receivers as well.

More info:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC-M/H

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catego...C-M/H_stations
Old 08-14-2013, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hello Johnny,
I don't have any of those options to select - I like to select the color and brightness. The Analog TV is very smart, when I hooked up the AV2, it directly moves to AV2. I think it senses the NTSC and 16:9 coming from the ATSC MH tuner output. I don't know, but I don't have your options. I'll play with it some more. I just solder AV1, I'll try AV1 - TV and AV2 back up camera since my Fakra cable is not here yet.

Jake,
It's good read... My goal is to check to see if the ATSC mobile really works. I'm not crazy about driving and watching TV. I like stationary one if I can catch more channels. I think I may buy Pyle from Walmart to try out.

Cheers,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 08-14-2013 at 10:38 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:24 AM
Banned

Default Press Setup

Louis,

Are you saying when you are in either AV1 or AV2 display and you press the SETUP button below the CAR button on center console you do not see what is pictured below ?

EDIT: Ok I checked your after market tuner and it outputs a interlaced standard definition signal, "HDTV signal scale to SDTV 720X480I output", So you should be ok, one thing just came to mine on the B&W issue, it may be you have your video earth [shield] and signal wires back-words, I think I did the same the first time, dnrc.

Johnny
Attached Images  

Last edited by JohnnyJ A6Q; 08-14-2013 at 11:38 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I'm not crazy about driving and watching TV. I like stationary one if I can catch more channels. I think I may buy Pyle from Walmart to try out.
I may get the Pyle too since D4 has an AMI composite video cable I can use to test it out.
Thanks for the info.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The set up was PAL = BW - NTSC = color

Originally Posted by JohnnyJ A6Q
Louis,

Are you saying when you are in either AV1 or AV2 display and you press the SETUP button below the CAR button on center console you do not see what is pictured below ?

EDIT: Ok I checked your after market tuner and it outputs a interlaced standard definition signal, "HDTV signal scale to SDTV 720X480I output", So you should be ok, one thing just came to mine on the B&W issue, it may be you have your video earth [shield] and signal wires back-words, I think I did the same the first time, dnrc.

Johnny
JohnnyQ,
You're the man, thanks for hinting the Setup button. Yes, I got all the setting options. The default was PAL. Changed it to NTSC and color appears.
Now, I need to get a better antenna or run the antenna out somewhere to get the consistent pictures. The ATSC tuner is not very good, flaky.
IMPORTANT question: The TV tuner is running very hot - I need to hook it up to ACC power, right now it's constantly ON. Where can we tap the ACC in the trunk?
I hooked up the back up camera to the AV1 and it works too, no need the backup controller, yes, the only thing is the guide lines are not there. I do like the guide lines from the 4E0 919 441 camera controller.

Thanks,

Louis

Last edited by ltooz_a6_a8_q7; 08-14-2013 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: I Can Watch TV With 5.1 Digital Sound On MMI 2G