Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

SQ5 Driver select question

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SQ5 Driver select question

Just picked up new SQ5 2 days ago. I have the driver select set to dynamic. When I turn car off, then restart, my display shows that the transmission is back to D rather than the S that was present when dynamic mode selected. i have to go back to MMI where it displays dynamic, but have to select again to get back to S. Any thoughts? of course my dealer gave me the wrong manual and being New Years Day, they are closed, so cant do the obvious manual check. Thanks!
Old 01-01-2014, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

The transmission defaults to D when the car is restarted. No need to go to the MMI, just pull the shifter down one additional time after putting it in D.
Enjoy your SQ5, and Happy New Year!
Old 01-01-2014, 01:22 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Yeah, after 2,000 miles, this still bugs me but it is a very easy flick of the shifter. Enjoy your great new ride. Steve
Old 01-01-2014, 05:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks!!
Old 01-02-2014, 10:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

I feel really dumb now. Since I did not pay close attention to the manual I had been driving on D all the time! So, the Dynamic/Comfort modes each have 2 subsets of Normal/Sport? I am lost now.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:12 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I imagine all the info from this thread should apply here, if the SQ5 has any different technologies that people know of, please let that be known!

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-Mode-Question
Old 01-02-2014, 04:18 PM
Club AutoUnion

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by MAMOHT
I feel really dumb now. Since I did not pay close attention to the manual I had been driving on D all the time! So, the Dynamic/Comfort modes each have 2 subsets of Normal/Sport? I am lost now.
Ohhh noooo. You've been missing what I consider the best part of the SQ5 experience. Slip that baby into S mode when the engine is warm and you'll get a quicker throttle response, much tighter up shifts at higher rpm. Also you'll kick in the full sound effects. Enjoy. Steve
Old 01-02-2014, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yes, I did try it today. It was like I got a new car once again. The sound and the shifting was completely different. Steel feeling dumb though.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MAMOHT
This might help:

Here's a comprehensive explanation of the different modes:

In a nutshell, the following applies to most U.S. later/current ADS equipped models:

The ADS has four driving modes in the MMI:
Comfort (Sometimes also known as "Standard")
Auto (aka "Balanced")
Dynamic (aka "Sport")
Individual

The first three automatically set software directed maps for the throttle response, transmission gearing, steering effort, auto cruise control (if equipped) and seat belt tensioner. Individual allows for setting each of the those parameters to Comfort, Auto or Dynamic mode.

Comfort will provide for best fuel economy and smoother driving by changing upshifting gears sooner/downshifting later, a more sedate throttle response (more travel to the gas pedal for a given amount of gas if you will) and a lighter steering effort. Also a more "relaxed" seat belt tensioner. (See below for ACC).
Dynamic will provide a sportier feel by holding in each gear longer, up or down, sportier throttle (more fuel applied for less pedal travel), a greater steering effort and a more aggressive seat belt tensioner. (See below for ACC).
Auto for the gear and throttle mapping is strangely, actually the same as the Comfort mode. Steering will be weighted somewhere in between Dynamic and Comfort however.
Individual can set the parameters above to taste.

In cars equipped with ACC (Automatic Cruise Control), the Comfort, and Dynamic settings will determine the rate at which the car will speed up or slow down as the detected car in front changes its speed (and based on the ACC distance setting on the steering wheel stalk). ACC can be set in the Individual mode as well.

Also note that the D/S setting on the gearshift lever will override any ADS setting, i.e. D=Auto and S=Dynamic modes for throttle and gear mapping only; ACC (if equipped), steering and seat belt tensioners remain defaulted to the ADS setting in the MMI. (There is NO difference for throttle AND gear mapping in D or S from respective Comfort/Auto or Dynamic/Sport settings in the MMI ADS).

Some Audi models (and many models in ROW) may include additional ADS settings (adaptive suspension, for example).

Also, "Auto" (otherwise known as "Balanced") is the same as "Comfort" in the MMI settings and in "D" mode for throttle and gear mapping. "Sport" is the same as "Dynamic" in the MMI settings or in "S" mode. See below (note, this applies for all modern Audis if equipped with the option):

Old 01-03-2014, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by snagitseven
This might help:

Here's a comprehensive explanation of the different modes:

In a nutshell, the following applies to most U.S. later/current ADS equipped models:
Thanks for such a thorough explanation. That info really helped me.

Quick Reply: SQ5 Driver select question