A8 / S8 (D3 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the D3 Audi A8 produced from 2003-2010 and Audi S8 produced from 2006-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sadly about to sell my 06

Old 11-20-2012, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sadly about to sell my 06

Well, I think I have sadly come to the decision to tell my 06 short base. (Images Below)

I just came off my CPO and fear high maintenance costs down the road, if even for the little things that the CPO has replaced like the MMI screen gears, trunk issue, etc. In the 3 years I've had this car, like all of you, I have become an Audi lover for life, as has my 8yr old. I researched and bought this model online after much due diligence and after having never sat my butt in an Audi. I did not, nor will I ever need to before buying another one. This car was what all my research (a lot from you guys 3.5 yrs ago) told me it would be and more.
I'm just not a mechanic type like many of you on this thread, nor have the time, so any issues down the road would have to go to the dealer. I posted a couple of months ago with the dilemma of no warranty, needed new tires, and the 75K maintenance, and it seems like that is all just too much given the mileage. I looked into an aftermarket warranty, but it seems once I crossed the 75k barrier, they don't cover much. I ended up having to get new tires on an emgergency basis as I discovered I had steel belts from the Pirelli's splitting and popping out the back of one front tire. I can't believe it had not already blown, but I had to fork out the $$ for the tires immediatley. It still needs the 75K maintance though, so I think I am going to sell it and skip that cost.

That all said, any ideas for what I should ask for the car? After some brief research, I am thinking of asking around 24k given the condition and the options. The paint looks almost new and many non-Audi affionados think this car is close to brand new. They're amazed when I tell them it's an 06. I did some checking on Auto Trader and such and see similar models anywhere from 19 to 27k asking price. This car is in great shape inside and out. The only interior blemish is the drivers side floor mat which has a curled up corner that's worn. The only exterior blemishes is a crack on one of the fog lights and a couple of very minor spots on the paint.

Appeciate any thoughts or advice on selling, or, any convincing me to keep this beautiful work of engineering and design.

Thanks.
Attached Images     
Old 11-20-2012, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by okcitalia
Well, I think I have sadly come to the decision to tell my 06 short base. (Images Below)

I just came off my CPO and fear high maintenance costs down the road, if even for the little things that the CPO has replaced like the MMI screen gears, trunk issue, etc. In the 3 years I've had this car, like all of you, I have become an Audi lover for life, as has my 8yr old. I researched and bought this model online after much due diligence and after having never sat my butt in an Audi. I did not, nor will I ever need to before buying another one. This car was what all my research (a lot from you guys 3.5 yrs ago) told me it would be and more.
I'm just not a mechanic type like many of you on this thread, nor have the time, so any issues down the road would have to go to the dealer. I posted a couple of months ago with the dilemma of no warranty, needed new tires, and the 75K maintenance, and it seems like that is all just too much given the mileage. I looked into an aftermarket warranty, but it seems once I crossed the 75k barrier, they don't cover much. I ended up having to get new tires on an emgergency basis as I discovered I had steel belts from the Pirelli's splitting and popping out the back of one front tire. I can't believe it had not already blown, but I had to fork out the $$ for the tires immediatley. It still needs the 75K maintance though, so I think I am going to sell it and skip that cost.

That all said, any ideas for what I should ask for the car? After some brief research, I am thinking of asking around 24k given the condition and the options. The paint looks almost new and many non-Audi affionados think this car is close to brand new. They're amazed when I tell them it's an 06. I did some checking on Auto Trader and such and see similar models anywhere from 19 to 27k asking price. This car is in great shape inside and out. The only interior blemish is the drivers side floor mat which has a curled up corner that's worn. The only exterior blemishes is a crack on one of the fog lights and a couple of very minor spots on the paint.

Appeciate any thoughts or advice on selling, or, any convincing me to keep this beautiful work of engineering and design.

Thanks.

Wow great topic. I have an 07 A8L and your car is identical to mine exterior and interior wise even down to the wood steering wheel. Like you i bought mine CPO and i am using these warranty months to judge and guage whether or not it will be worth it to keep this car after the CPO runs out. The issues so far that ive had resolved by CPO is a solar sunroof rattle(which still isnt perfect), the trunk motor replaced,and front control arm bushings that were squeaking. Car only has 59,000 miles on it and i bought it at 48,000 miles exactly a year ago. As you said, i appreciate the engineering on this car and it is the best car ive driven and still turns heads and gets compliments from onlookers. The drive is still addicting as day one. I just dont know whether or not this is a car to keep long term like a honda or toyota. I mean things like the air suspension and mmi crapping out scares me at higher mileage which could cost thousands. Or are these only good cars to buy on a lease and were never engineered for the electronics/mechanical components to last 150,000 miles+?

I say you should make a decision thats financially sound and wont put you or your family in a major bind if/when something very expensive to repair comes up. If you do decide to sell, i think you could probaly get low 20k for it from what im seeing and the mileage. Im even seeing 07's right now going from 24k-28k when just last year they were selling close to 40k. These cars drop value fast. But yours does look clean.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 116 Likes on 94 Posts

These cars are designed to last 300,000 miles if not 400,000. I'm at 182,000 miles on my '04 (built in early 2003) and I have no plans to sell mine.

There are threads here regarding the timing belt replacement interval and while I have been called all sorts of names for not changing mine at the recommended interval, I firmly believe mine whould have lasted double the recommende interval. I changed mine at 125,000 miles only because the $20.00 thermostat failed in the usual "closed" position that required the timing belt to be removed so I replaced it along with the water pump and assorted rollers & idlers. You can look at my old threads to see my reasons/justification for going so far beyond the 75,000 mile interval. These are my thoughts, opinions and experience. You would be following my lead at your own risk/peril.

I had a '87 5000CS quattro turbo which was also Audi's flagship at the time. I bought that one new and took delivery when the NYSE crashed in October of 1987. I donated it to charity inDecember, 2005 with 286,000 miles on the car. It served me well but was no longer fun to drive as it had become unreliable. The A8, with an aluminum body and vastly improved drivetrain will last longer IMO. Electronics and certain electro-mechanical components will no doubt fail but I believe the total cost of ownership of the D3's, as long as you buy them 2-4 years old and keep until ithey have no value will by far have the lowest cost of ownership (price per mile) of any possible car other than buying a $sub-$1k beater car.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
These cars are designed to last 300,000 miles if not 400,000
I absolutely believe they would last that long with regular maintenance and TLC.

Mister Bally's vehicles are exquisitely maintained and he has the tools, work area and know-how to do it while teaching his son the most valuable lessons in life.

You have to balance your desire to not have a payment [or consider the value of the vehicle] with what you are willing to do / put up with.
I have neither the space nor the desire to do my own work, and least of all the time.
That doesn't mean I blindly let the dealer BOHICA me and instead studied VCDS and the Bentley to great end - so much so that some incorrectly call me an "expert" after 2 years of ownership.

On my desk are the pre-emptive replacement MMI gears and sunshade brackets I paid Misha to make for me.
In my office is the W12 fridge I bought from a member on another forum.
When I traded the '05 in, I made another trip to the dealership to give them some trim pieces that sat in my office for a year and never got installed.

My 2005 non-CPO was a couple payments from being free and clear with 85,000 miles and was in excellent condition.
Between tires, 75k, regular service, etc I put almost $8,000 into it.
Don't regret it for one second and I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat.

Like okcitalia I bought mine with no Audi experience and fell in love with the vehicle and brand.
Went from a worn out 2003 Crown Vic to an A8L and driving it my main emotion was "I have arrived".
My brother, the wholesaler I got the 05 from, said "Well you're all Audi'd up!" after visiting a month later and seeing the elegantly framed Audi pictures and brochures on my living room walls.
It's very possible I've got 75% of the Audi Collection items, including the annual stuffed bears and the Motorsports bear.

However. We all know there are a few common major wear/tear concerns with these vehicles over time.
It literally kept me awake at night worrying about suspension, or how the transmission would hold up since I wasn't the first owner - and I'm very careful with things.
Yes the tranny is "bulletproof" as we've heard in comparison to the D2 but it's still moving parts.

That said I never planned to drive the wheels off the A8.
Falling trade in value and the possibility of gigantic repair bills looming made me spend almost 4 months coming to a tough decision.
Was I willing to spend $3k for a new tranny? No.
Was I willing to spend $2-4k per corner for air suspension? No.
The list goes on and the percentage of the value was too high for my tastes.

Instead I bought a 2012 D4 with the trade in and 0 down for 3%.
Am I now pre-paying the maintenance, and then some, sure.
But I sleep like a baby and still love my Audi A8L.
I work from home most of the time and have a security camera in the garage - which is viewed more times in a day than mental health professionals would say is "normal".

Negotiated my trade at $14k.
The dealer detailed the '05 and put it on the lot for $18,900.
It sat.
They reduced it to $15,900 before wholesaling it six months later.
I watched closely to see what the market would do with such a vehicle and wasn't incredibly surprised.
On the upside the dealer had to pay to replace the brakes all around, do an oil change, install a battery, etc, instead of me.
Also didn't have to inspect it that year, nor pay the "road tax" we have here.

I don't regret any of it, but completely understand what I did is not for everyone.
The trouble is once you own an A8 you are ruined for anything else.
And why drive a car when you can pilot an Audi.

Apologies for the diatribe, but wanted to give my perspective on a similar situation.
Old 11-21-2012, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Bally
These cars are designed to last 300,000 miles if not 400,000. I'm at 182,000 miles on my '04 (built in early 2003) and I have no plans to sell mine.

There are threads here regarding the timing belt replacement interval and while I have been called all sorts of names for not changing mine at the recommended interval, I firmly believe mine whould have lasted double the recommende interval. I changed mine at 125,000 miles only because the $20.00 thermostat failed in the usual "closed" position that required the timing belt to be removed so I replaced it along with the water pump and assorted rollers & idlers. You can look at my old threads to see my reasons/justification for going so far beyond the 75,000 mile interval. These are my thoughts, opinions and experience. You would be following my lead at your own risk/peril.

I had a '87 5000CS quattro turbo which was also Audi's flagship at the time. I bought that one new and took delivery when the NYSE crashed in October of 1987. I donated it to charity inDecember, 2005 with 286,000 miles on the car. It served me well but was no longer fun to drive as it had become unreliable. The A8, with an aluminum body and vastly improved drivetrain will last longer IMO. Electronics and certain electro-mechanical components will no doubt fail but I believe the total cost of ownership of the D3's, as long as you buy them 2-4 years old and keep until ithey have no value will by far have the lowest cost of ownership (price per mile) of any possible car other than buying a $sub-$1k beater car.
It all depends on how you look at it, and I agree with you that the longer you keep it, the lower the cost.
I had an '87 too, but it was a non turbo S, and I sold it after only using it once that year to drive through the snow to my parent's house for Christmas.
I'm in it for the long haul with my D3 S8 that has a timing chain instead of the service requiring belt.
Occasionally I'm tempted by other Audis such as the NA V8 RS5 and the TT V8 S6, but after sitting in the sumptuous full leather interior and listening to the sweet sounds that the V10 makes, I always decide to stay with my S8.