S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Confused on which to buy:

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused on which to buy:

Wassup Everyone: first time posting a thread here...

Its time for me to purchase a new car and i have narrowed by choices down to ONLY audi models...

I am confused onto which car to buy: My choices are the 2012 Audi S4, 2012 Audi s5 cabriolet, or waiting for the new face lifted models to finally hit the stores here in california...

There are things that i like about each car, and it is making it very difficult for me to choose: I love the drive of the S4, Love the idea of having a convertible in beautiful LA weather, and I' am also the kind who wants the "new one" of everything...

Too be quite honest: i like the looks of the 2012 model cars more, however i have never seen the new facelifts in person and sometimes pictures don't do much justice.... so i am confused onto which to get...

Another reason why i am confused is because of some of the deals dealers are giving me for brand new 2012 audi s4s... for example- a nearby dealer is offering a 2012 phantom black s4 prestige, with titanium package, sports differential, carbon atlas, black leather package, MMI navigation, sun shades and etc... basically nearly fully loaded for 58,000 out the door including tax and destination charge and everything: I'm no price guru but from what i have researched, that seems like a great deal.

What is everyones suggestions here, should i wait for the 2013 model? get the s4 now.... THE S5 CAB IS BEAUTIFUL TOO!!! HELPPPP
Old 04-30-2012, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Many have said the 2013 looks better in person than it does in pictures. Though just realize if you wait much longer, there may not be much of a selection for 2012 S4s.

Regardless, for the exterior: the front grill (bigger), headlights (no more 'eyebrow') and front end (seems less aggressive) has changed noticeably.

Interior: the Google maps on the Navi for the 2013 should be really cool (hard to beat Google) and other MMI improvements.

All in all, comes down to personal preference. But yea, that 2012 you found does seem like a good deal plus you can have that now. You still have a few months to wait for a 2013.

I just purchased a 2012 almost identical to what you listed and couldn't be happier (preferred 2012 over 2013, though).

Can't comment on the S5 because I'm a 4dr sedan guy all the way.

Good luck.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I went to the Denver Auto Show this year (happened to be at a convention while the auto show was also going on) & I have to say I didn't really like the facelift of the new 2013. The interior was nice (love the new steering wheel) but the seats don't look as comfortable as the 2010-2012's.
I don't really care for the new front end on the 2013 put that's just me. I really wish they would have the honeycomb front grill available for the S & not just the RS4's. But they had an RS5 at the auto show & that was beyond a doubt a beautiful car inside & out - too bad they locked the doors so no one could sit in it :*(
Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you really sure that $58K is a good price? Go to edmunds.com spec the car and find out the dealer invoice. If destination is not included add that. At this point in the model year, especially with a face lift and new model expected in a few months, DO NOT pay more than $500 over dealer invoice (less might be possible). The S5 convert will definitely cost you more but it is not impractical to have in LA. The 2013 S5 coupe will have the same 3.0Sc engine. So that could also be an option if you have an issue driving a 4 dr sedan. It will also cost more than the S4 but not as much as the convertible. My advice: If you want a top down car, go for the S5 convert. If you are looking for the best price or deal, the s4 will be your best bet. If you don't want a 4dr, go for the 2013 S5 coupe. Can't go wrong with either choice.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Surprised to hear that the seats would be different from MY2012, alll Audi said is the leather changes from sil nappa to fine nappa leather. Or is the seat shape / contour different?

I have no idea why Audi decided to change the headlight designs on all mid-cycle refreshes. I just saw the refreshed Q5 and RS3 and all I can say is ho-hum.

Do they realize both Chrysler 200 and Hyundai Genesis sedan have already done the white strip LED?

Originally Posted by Tom Feeney
I went to the Denver Auto Show this year (happened to be at a convention while the auto show was also going on) & I have to say I didn't really like the facelift of the new 2013. The interior was nice (love the new steering wheel) but the seats don't look as comfortable as the 2010-2012's.
I don't really care for the new front end on the 2013 put that's just me. I really wish they would have the honeycomb front grill available for the S & not just the RS4's. But they had an RS5 at the auto show & that was beyond a doubt a beautiful car inside & out - too bad they locked the doors so no one could sit in it :*(
Old 05-01-2012, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tom Feeney
The interior was nice (love the new steering wheel) but the seats don't look as comfortable as the 2010-2012's.
They're the same except for Fine Nappa leather instead of Silk Nappa leather.

Originally Posted by KevinHee
I have no idea why Audi decided to change the headlight designs on all mid-cycle refreshes. I just saw the refreshed Q5 and RS3 and all I can say is ho-hum.

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/cro...t-4_600x0w.jpg

Do they realize both Chrysler 200 and Hyundai Genesis sedan have already done the white strip LED?
The refreshed headlights look better than the B8 headlights. Evenly lit light pipes look much better than discrete LEDs even if Audi wasn't the first car maker to use them in their headlights.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Stereodude
The refreshed headlights look better than the B8 headlights. Evenly lit light pipes look much better than discrete LEDs even if Audi wasn't the first car maker to use them in their headlights.
I think you have already found out that majority of people disagree with you. =) But anyway, as long as you like it... each to his own.

And no, I don't want my 60K car looking like a Chrysler or Hyundai.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by KevinHee
I think you have already found out that majority of people disagree with you. =) But anyway, as long as you like it... each to his own.
Yes, a majority of B8 owners like their current car and not the new one. Shocking!

And no, I don't want my 60K car looking like a Chrysler or Hyundai.
People everywhere are constantly confusing Audi's for Chrysler's and Hyundai's. I see it all the time.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At this rate the next generation Audis will have a grille that encompasses the entire front end! Hideous

You can see from my avatar that I actually like the B6 look even better!

Last edited by DrGP; 05-02-2012 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, that is a lot of grille. I think I'd finally be happy to be required to mount a front plate--it would break things up at least, hopefully for the better. I hope they provided better protection against rock damage behind that thing. The spacing looks pretty open to the outside.

Quick Reply: Confused on which to buy: