Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

[DIY Guide] Audi Q5 S-Line Grille Retrofit onto non S-Line Bumper (No Mods Required!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S-Line Grille Retrofit onto non S-line Bumper

**Please scroll down the for actual guide**

[Original Post Content]
Asked this in another thread by never got a response.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2809484

The OP said the retrofit will fit, but will need a few "notches" on the non S-Line bumper to fit the grille.

Can someone provide some more details as what the OP means?
How involved is the mod? Any DIY guides as how to remove the front bumper?

Thanks!

Last edited by c-dub; 10-02-2011 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-12-2011, 09:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 353 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by c-dub
anyone?
I hope these pictures help you to remove the front bumper :

Link to other images removing the front bumper
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...nShot005-2.jpg
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...nShot006-2.jpg
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...nShot007-3.jpg
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...nShot008-1.jpg
http://i1226.photobucket.com/albums/...nShot009-1.jpg
Old 09-30-2011, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received my S-Line Grille today for retrofitting onto my 2011 2.0T. I ordered the S-Line grille without park sensor holes, which seems to have a euro plate bracket ready. After taking these pics, I have installed the US S-Line gloss black plate filler to cover the euro plate frame.

Tomorrow, it's time to say goodbye to the 2.0T Stone Grey grille.
I'll try to take some pics and write a DIY guide.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please try to take some pics as a DIY type thing. Be great to see how the grill comes off for later reference.
Thanks for sharing. Your Q is coming out tremendous.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default [DIY Guide] Audi Q5 S-Line Grille Retrofit onto non S-Line Bumper (No Mods Required!)

** DISCLAIMER: FOLLOW THIS GUIDE AT YOUR OWN RISK. I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR CAR. **

Background:
This DIY guide is to show you how to remove your Q5 front bumper and replace the grille.
The example used is swaping the 2.0T Stone Grey / Platinum Grille to the Gloss Black S-Line Grille on the standard non S-Line bumper. I have proven in this guide that there are absolutely no mods required to the grille or bumper.

Note 1: That being said, you'll have to purchase the correct plate filler / bracket. S-Line grilles have fewer verticle slats, thus the holes on the plate filler / plate bracket are fewer with different locations from the standard non S-Line plate filler / bracket. See correct part numbers in the other thread I created:
Official Q5 Part Number Thread
Note 2: This guide was performed on a 2011 Q5 Premium Plus 2.0T, with home link, but not headlight washers, parking sensors. Thus, I am only able to show you how to remove the home link transmitter, but not the parking sensors, headlight washers connectors.

Tools:
Gloves (to prevent cuts)
Torx Screw Drivers (T20 and T25)
Flat Head Screw Driver (For prying tabs and speed nuts)

Procedure:
1. Open engine hood. Remove fasteners/rivets from lock carrier cover by pressing the center stud into the rivet, then pulling it out. There are a total of eight (8) rivets. Pull the lock carrer cover off.

2. Remove the two (2) torx screws shown below.

3. Behind the grille, remove three (3) torx screws holding the home link transmitter.

4. Remove approximately fourteen (14) torx screws from the bottom closure plate at the shown locations.

5. Remove six (6) fastener screws (3 on each side) from the bottom closure plate (not pictured). Allow the bottom closure plate to flip down.

6. After flipping down the bottom closure plate, remove four (4) more torx screws at the shown locations.

7. On each side of the front wheel well, remove three (3) torx screws (total of six (6) both sides) shown at the following locations.

8. Pull back the wheel well liner and disconnect the fog light connectors. (not pictured).

9. Carefully pull off the bumper towards the front of the vehicle. Tab locations are shown below.

10. (a) Remove the black styrfoam material (Blue). (b) Remove twelve (12) torx screws shown (Red). (c) Remove eleven (11) bumper tabs from grille shown (Yellow).

Note: The bumper tabs took me a while to remove. For clarificatoin, removing all these tabs (Yellow) allows you to remove the following piece.

Be patient here. I ended up just replacing the grille first, putting the car back all together, then take my time to remove all the tabs on this piece from the old grille. Thus, installing the shown piece was actually my final step of the procedure.

11. Put everything back in reverse order. This is the end of the guide.

Result:

Last edited by c-dub; 10-02-2011 at 06:57 AM. Reason: Redundant
Old 10-01-2011, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Wonderful write up C-dub. Thanks for taking the time.

And the black grill looks awesome!
Old 10-01-2011, 09:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

If anyone is interested, my 2.0T Stone Grey Grille and License Plate Filler is up for grabs in the Q5 Classifields. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2011, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you very much for the excellent DIY. Fantasic job, will help out a great deal.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thank you g8tor20, 1atlas. I plan to write more DIY guides for the Q5 when I have new projects. This forum needs more DIY guides to help out the increasing Q5 population!

Guides coming up: Genuine RS5 Aluminum Pedals Installation (Foot Rest/Dead Pedal Replacement, gas, brake pedals)

Last edited by c-dub; 10-03-2011 at 03:50 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great DIY guide! Do you have any plans on installing the honeycomb grilles that surround the fog lights? What about the honeycomb grille for the rear bumber?

Again, great guide, thanks!

Quick Reply: [DIY Guide] Audi Q5 S-Line Grille Retrofit onto non S-Line Bumper (No Mods Required!)