Q5/SQ5 MKI (8R) Discussion Discussion forum for the First Generation Audi Q5 SUV produced from 2008 to 2017

3200 mile trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 04:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3200 mile trip

Just finished a 3000+ mile trip from Pittsburgh to Nova Scotia, then on through to Ottawa, Toronto and back to the Burgh'. The Q ran like a dream, no mechanical issues and comfortable. Wife sat in the back with our 8 wk old boy and dog in the trunk. Used a Thule 1600 box up top. Averaged 27mpg (calulated) Always over 50 miles a tank. Reached up to 29.8 for a portion.
I did however start to notice a weird drivetrain wine which disappears when coming off the throttle and instantly returns when the gas is back on.

Now for the Navi Unit..........
What a POS, it was obviously able to get me where I wanted to go but the ability of it to find (points of interest) local gas, food, hotels etc sucked and don't even try to find a friggin' Lowes or Home Depot(you can't even free text HOME DEPOT into it) I was in New Brunswick and it populated local gas stations for me. Listing them in no organized fashion, not the closest first, not even in alphabetical order (if that would of been any help) It was showing me gas station that were 50 miles away in the USA as I was driving by one. When populating my choice of a search it would show a distance then all distances would would change to something 20-50 miles further. It did this both in the USA and Canada (yes, the areas were long established) I had my wife in the back with my Garmin to check the mistakes/ommisions and of course to find the next gas station. POS. Makes you feel good about dropping the extra to get a sh!te GPS.

No cheese with my wine, thanks.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by flybooey
Now for the Navi Unit..........
What a POS, it was obviously able to get me where I wanted to go but the ability of it to find (points of interest) local gas, food, hotels etc sucked and don't even try to find a friggin' Lowes or Home Depot(you can't even free text HOME DEPOT into it) I was in New Brunswick and it populated local gas stations for me. Listing them in no organized fashion, not the closest first, not even in alphabetical order (if that would of been any help) It was showing me gas station that were 50 miles away in the USA as I was driving by one. When populating my choice of a search it would show a distance then all distances would would change to something 20-50 miles further. It did this both in the USA and Canada (yes, the areas were long established) I had my wife in the back with my Garmin to check the mistakes/ommisions and of course to find the next gas station. POS. Makes you feel good about dropping the extra to get a sh!te GPS.

No cheese with my wine, thanks.

That and their "ability" to burn out if even a drop of liquid (cofee)gets on those buttons - two reasons we did not get NAV. DF likes her cofee in the car...

PS
It was difficult for the dealer to find Q5 w/ B&O but no NAV.
I only installed aftermarket back-up sensors, the installer offered to install aftermarket NAV with output on OEM screen-I refused, since Garmin works just fine (almost).

With portable GPS' price dropping instead of updating maps I will just buy another one in 1-2 years.
Old 08-26-2010, 08:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2010/2011 Navi Update on CD

Check out this website for an Audi Navi Update CD for $199!
Supposed to work on Q5 with our 3GMMI w/Nav:

http://sunsetaudiparts.com/pages/ind...1&pageid=11962

Last edited by ben_aip; 08-26-2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I was in New Brunswick and it populated local gas stations for me. Listing them in no organized fashion, not the closest first, not even in alphabetical order (if that would of been any help) It was showing me gas station that were 50 miles away in the USA as I was driving by one.
My Navi always list closest POI first, maybe a seeting or something. I do agree with you that the POI is lacking in the Audi Navi. I too carry a Garmin for more POI on long trips, sometimes the Garmin interfares with the Audi Navi for some reason. My old Lexus Navi use to be able to search by name of POI or phone number, but the Lexus Navi locks you out when you are moving which is tough to deal with.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by The G Man
My Navi always list closest POI first, maybe a seeting or something.
On that trip I played heavily with the MMI and thought as well that a setting was the issue but found none. I also thought.....why would there be a setting to UN-organize a search and populate results randomly??????

IF anyone else has an idea....pass is on please.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

On that trip I played heavily with the MMI and thought as well that a setting was the issue but found none. I also thought.....why would there be a setting to UN-organize a search and populate results randomly??????

IF anyone else has an idea....pass is on please.
I'll look at mine when I get the car. Have not seen that issue with the RS
Old 08-27-2010, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

I figured that there would be a lot on shortcomings of the OE Nav unit. I have a first gen NAV on my TT and was that thing clunky to use! I'll never spend 3k on a NAV. Maybe the touchscreen NAV aftermarket add-on with backup camera, that I wouldn't mind.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:40 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Problem is, that the unit is not only navigation - it has more that that - this about navigation as part of all electronic system in the car.
We have navigation in both our cars and I can imaging now get car with out one - but OP have a very good point. Navigation is not only fancy screen with arrow in the middle. It's a tool to help you get from A to B and find near POI. At latest BMW and AUDI navigation pretty sucks for that.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Couldn't agree more about the NAV. I've used Garmins for years before getting my Q5 and was shocked at its lack of POI's and user-friendliness. When I went looking for a Q5 I specifically wanted one without the NAV but the dealer essentially gave it to me for free by cutting the price so I'd take the one they had that night. Glad I did. As was pointed out, the "NAV Package" has a lot more than just the NAV: backup camera, high-res screen in between gauges, traffic updates, etc. What I've found is that I don't rely on the POI's and I just find the address then punch it in. Too bad though, such a beautiful screen and potential that just isn't used because of Audi's refusal to buy all the POI's from NAVTEQ.

phxflyboy

p.s. Nice avatar, flybooey! I'm guessing you fly, too?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Here's a perfect example of it not being in order (ether alph. or by distance). It almost is, but the 0.7 should clearly be after the two 0.6s. If I scroll down I get more of the same...

I checked and could not find any setting related to sorting.

Quick Reply: 3200 mile trip