Audi A5 / S5 / RS5 Coupe & Cabrio (B8) Discussion forum for the B8 Audi A5, S5 and RS5 Coupe and Cabriolet Model years 2009 - 2017

Overview of the ordering process

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overview of the ordering process

I placed an order today for an S5. I understand from the dealer that my order is already in the factory order bank. I understand too that I must be in May's allocation for my dealership.

A couple of questions:

1) Is it true that just because I'm in the factory order bank, it doesn't automatically mean that I can get a build date or a comm number?
2) Are build dates and comm numbers only assigned once the order has been pulled from the factory order bank for production?
3) What does it mean to be in May's allocation? Does it mean that there are X allocation slots available to my dealership per month and within that month anyone who orders while there are free slots is put into the factory order bank to be pulled whenever production gets around to it, or does it mean that there are X allocation slots available to my dealership per month and the orders are only pulled from the order bank to production at the end of the month before the next month's allocation is assigned?
Old 05-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1) You should get a comm number as soon as your order is entered into the Audi order system. It doesn't matter what stage in the process you are in.

2) Estimated build date will appear at some point while your order is in the factory order bank. Since it's the beginning of a new model year it may be delayed a bit longer than usual, but estimated build dates for July deliveries should be available now (or very soon).

3) A May allocation could mean different thing. Each allocation will have a projected/estimated delivery date, but since May isn't the delivery month that seems unlikely, The other date could be the month in which it was granted. Allocations are granted mid-month, though, so May allocations most likely aren't yet out. If your are in the Factory Order Bank (which means you have an allocation) you probably have an April allocation. Orders are pulled for production based on the month of allocation (earlier allocations get produced sooner).
The following users liked this post:
paprgypc (08-25-2021)
Old 05-07-2009, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default posted last year

Hey, Tim Hayes, an awesome Audi Rep, posted this guide sometime last year. Should answer your questions

THERE IS NO NEED TO RUN A COM NUMBER EVERY OTHER DAY OR EVERY WEEK FOR THAT MATTER!

First and foremost. Allocation is granted on the 14-15th of every month. If your dealer is granted Allocation the system will automatically pull the order into the "Factory Order Bank" according to how the dealer has the order ranked in his system. If there are 5 orders he must rank them first through fifth.

Allocation is different for model line. For example a dealer can get 1 manual and 1 automatic. Same goes for the S5.

Once a car is in "Production stock" assume at least 30-40 days before it will go into the next status, which would be "Intransit from Factory" from there it will be another two weeks. At this point the vehicle will have a VIN# and will be submitted for customs clearance. When the vehicle arrives at your countries port of entry, (we have several in the US). It will be marked "Port Stock" From there it will either be trucked (2-10 days based on location)or railed and then trucked (14-17 days)

The next status is (you guessed it) Dealer Stock. This means, the dealer has the car in its inventory and it can be prepped and delivered to the customer.

With regards to all of the posts about running com numbers, it is not fair for people who are looking for information about the car to have to sort through all of these posts. Try calling your dealer, if that does not work send one of us an email and we will be more than willing to help.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scottacus
1) You should get a comm number as soon as your order is entered into the Audi order system. It doesn't matter what stage in the process you are in.
Ok, so getting a comm number has no prerequisite to be in the "Factory Order Bank", in fact the "Audi Order System" and the "Factory Order Bank" are two separate systems?

2) Estimated build date will appear at some point while your order is in the factory order bank. Since it's the beginning of a new model year it may be delayed a bit longer than usual, but estimated build dates for July deliveries should be available now (or very soon).
3) A May allocation could mean different thing. Each allocation will have a projected/estimated delivery date, but since May isn't the delivery month that seems unlikely, The other date could be the month in which it was granted. Allocations are granted mid-month, though, so May allocations most likely aren't yet out. If your are in the Factory Order Bank (which means you have an allocation) you probably have an April allocation. Orders are pulled for production based on the month of allocation (earlier allocations get produced sooner).
[/QUOTE]

So, reading this, and the post from Tim Hayes, via Andrew, if there are still slots in the dealer's April allocation it's possible that I'm actually sitting in April's allocation, not May's; since there is still about a week before May's allocations are supplied. If my dealer isn't full of it and my order is actually in the Factory Order Bank, it may indeed be that I'm in April's allocation?

That said, if I'm in April's allocation, I could conceivably be looking at a July delivery, not August?

Assuming there is a difference between the Audi Order System and the Factory Order Bank, and if the dealer is mistaken and I'm actually only in the Audi Order Bank, it's conceivable that my allocation is actually for May?

BTW: Andrew, thanks for sending Tim's post. I had read that post months ago and remembered bits of it, but my AW search foo couldn't find it.
Old 05-07-2009, 08:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by scottacus
Ok, so getting a comm number has no prerequisite to be in the "Factory Order Bank", in fact the "Audi Order System" and the "Factory Order Bank" are two separate systems?

So, reading this, and the post from Tim Hayes, via Andrew, if there are still slots in the dealer's April allocation it's possible that I'm actually sitting in April's allocation, not May's; since there is still about a week before May's allocations are supplied. If my dealer isn't full of it and my order is actually in the Factory Order Bank, it may indeed be that I'm in April's allocation?

That said, if I'm in April's allocation, I could conceivably be looking at a July delivery, not August?

Assuming there is a difference between the Audi Order System and the Factory Order Bank, and if the dealer is mistaken and I'm actually only in the Audi Order Bank, it's conceivable that my allocation is actually for May?

BTW: Andrew, thanks for sending Tim's post. I had read that post months ago and remembered bits of it, but my AW search foo couldn't find it.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:01 AM
Audiworld Member

Factory Order Bank is one step in the order process (it's not the order entry/tracking system itself, which is part of the AccessAudi website dealers have access to). A sold order will have a commission number as soon as it's put in the order system.

The steps are:
IS Order Bank - no allocation
Factory Order Bank - allocation, waiting to be pulled for production
Production Stock - In production
In Transit from Factory - waiting for a boat or on a boat
Port Stock - At port
In Transit Inland - On a train or truck to your dealer
Dealer Stock - At dealer, ready for delivery

Because your car is in Factory Order Bank status you have an allocation (most likely granted in April). Your dealer will be able to tell you the delivery month provided by Audi when they received the allocation, and if the estimated build date and delivery date isn't in the AccessAudi system yet it should be pretty soon.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, so I'm confirmed to be in April's allocation, so I'm definitely in the factory order bank. My dealer is telling me that I'm scheduled for July production with August delivery (this of course assuming the adaptive cruise special order doesn't hold up production).

Does that sound right? Is it likely that I'd have to wait almost 2 months for my order to be pulled from the order bank and put into production? That sounds a little off to me.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

From what I'm told production takes 3 weeks, plus you need to add on quality inspection, plus time in transit and dealer prep.

I don't think you are seeing that car until September
Old 05-08-2009, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by levitynyc
From what I'm told production takes 3 weeks, plus you need to add on quality inspection, plus time in transit and dealer prep.

I don't think you are seeing that car until September
I think September may be a little far off. Based on what I pasted below from Tim Hayes, via Andrew, assuimg worst case scenario, it would be 71 days. If the car isn't in production until June 1, 71 days would put delivery at roughly mid August.

"Once a car is in "Production stock" assume at least 30-40 days before it will go into the next status, which would be "Intransit from Factory" from there it will be another two weeks. At this point the vehicle will have a VIN# and will be submitted for customs clearance. When the vehicle arrives at your countries port of entry, (we have several in the US). It will be marked "Port Stock" From there it will either be trucked (2-10 days based on location)or railed and then trucked (14-17 days)"
Old 05-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Audiworld Member

August seems possible.

For comparison, my car will be produced the week of 5/25 (week 22, which I have heard is first week of 2010 production) and is estimated to be at the dealer the week of 7/13. If I were on the West Coast it would likely be the week of 7/20. So assume 8-9 weeks once your car goes into production.

If your car will be built in early July and you're on the East Coast, I could see you getting it in late August. But depending on build week, shipping time, trucking time, etc it could slip until September too.

Quick Reply: Overview of the ordering process