S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Is Xpel worth it for me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is Xpel worth it for me?

OK, so my S7 will be coming in next week and I will be tinting it and at the same time had planned on getting Xpel on the entire front end. Haven't obtained any quotes yet but from what I can find online it should be about $1400 to $1800, so not cheap.

I just took a close look at my 2008 Infinity m35x, which has been my dd for almost 6 years, and only found a few tiny paint chips along the front edge and leading 2-3 inches of the hood, along with a few tiny chips on the front bumper and some slight scratching on the corners of the bumper. Minor superficial scratches on the most anterior areas of the front fenders present. No rust anywhere.

I know I shouldn't admit it on this forum but I only wash my car maybe 3 to 4 times per year, usually after a major snowstorm to get road salt off up here in the northeast. I will likely be a bit more meticulous with the S7 considering that it will be 2x the price and, well, an awesome car.

The tiny chips I can see on my m35x are relatively few and minor and I think should easily be taken care of with touch-up paint.

I know the S7 will sit a bit lower to the ground than the m35 but other than that I'm having a hard time seeing why I should spend $1600 to get something done to my car to prevent, if my Infinity is any indication, such minor injury to the car. And there is always the risk of a less than perfect installation and noticeable lines with clear bras, as well as aging-related changes such as orange peeling, yellowing, clouding, etc that I have read on this and other forums.

Considering all of the above, could someone tell me why I SHOULD still get the Xpel or any other clear bra? Is it really worth it? If I do it I want to do it immediately after I take delivery next week.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2014, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

If you plan on washing your car only 3 or 4 times per year, it probably isn't a good investment. The accumulated road grime should act as an impenetrable barrier to any rock damage.

Seriously though, if paint chips from road debris on your $80K car won't bother you then I think you've answered your own question. Otherwise, you might consider doing an AW global search for "Xpel Ultimate". Lots of threads by owners discussing the product and its performance.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes your price is about right. Mine was $1500 by the dealer which I did this month.
I have had it on my last four cars. Besides front you will proobaly get under your handles done as well as the rear bumper.

To me I was already in $92 G pluss still getting winter shoes so what is $2G for the tint and bra. Sound like you are OK going the touch up paint route. I can never get that stuff to flatten out and look right.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

You may have seen my threads before... I have Xpel ultimate full front bumper, lights, fill wood and clearplex on the windshield. Headed done when the car was two weeks old, the next week took a gravel truck spray at 80 miles an hour. Only received a slight dent on the hood but without the protection would have had to have the car repainted in the windshield replaced. Also had an "incident" with the side of my garage backing in. Only had to replace the expel ultimate - did not touch the paint at all. I keep my cars very clean but drive a lot of highway miles - meaning Road rash on the front of the car is the only thing that bothers me after 4 or 5 years.. Definitely get the protection...
Old 07-29-2014, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Shop around. The prices you saw were for a full coverage job. You can get the bumper cover and front of the hood for less.

Don't buy through the dealer. They send it out and tack on a couple hundred. Find a local guy with a good reputation.

Consider getting Opti Coat. It's a coating that protects the paint, keeps it shining and easy to clean.

https://forums.audiworld.com/a6-c7-p...worth-2853134/

Last edited by tenspeed; 07-29-2014 at 07:35 PM.
Old 07-30-2014, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Speaking of - should I get Xpel Ultimate for my S7 on a three-year lease after which I don't intend to buy the car?
Old 07-31-2014, 01:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LukFilm
Speaking of - should I get Xpel Ultimate for my S7 on a three-year lease after which I don't intend to buy the car?
It looks like many that lease don't do it for that reason. I lease my A7 and RS5. I have had the A7 for 3 years and it has chips all over the front. My RS5 is brand new. I just got the Xpel Ultimate on it last week. Full front for 1200. I smile every time I look at that car. I'd like to keep it that way. The 15000 mile maintenance on that car will cost more than the Xpel did.