S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Front license plate

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 03:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front license plate

I haven't even received my permanent plates yet from DMV, but in NY you are supposedly required to put both rear and front plates on the car. I don't even have the bracket on the front grill now as it appears as it would mess up the look of the grill. Anyone in this situation have any suggestions? The place where I'm doing the clear bra this week suggested a makeshift hook assembly to just put it on the grill when necessary and leave it off most of the time.
Attached Images  
Old 04-21-2013, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I'm in NY too and I'm planning on making a retractable plate holder work somehow. I have an electric model with two remotes. All I need is the car...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang-Retractable-License-Plate-Frame-POWERED-Show-N-Go-/290863818059?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43b8d5a54b&vxp=mtr
Old 04-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I was told by my dealer that Audi doesn't include the front license plate bracket as most people don't want it on the S7, And it's a $350 add on accessory.. Could that be correct?
Old 04-27-2013, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Take the front plate and glue (hotmelt is what I did) a thin piece of foam (flexible foam like a glass vase would be wrapped in) to the back. Drill 1 hole on each side of the plate. Get a couple of 3-4" Toggle Bolts's with the folding wings. The toggle bolts work perfect on Audi's grille because the can latch thru it- easy to install and remove. Less than 30 seconds when you get it figured out.
The hole on each side of the plate is so the pressure when using the toggle's to the grille is evenly displaced. You can also hotmelt a license plate frame to the license plate.
No damage, looks better than the audi plate holder, easily removable.
Old 04-28-2013, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Double faced tape works as well to adhere foam to back of plate to prevent scratching.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.skenedesign.com/FPBracket/index.shtml
Old 05-09-2013, 03:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by sssdaniel
Take the front plate and glue (hotmelt is what I did) a thin piece of foam (flexible foam like a glass vase would be wrapped in) to the back. Drill 1 hole on each side of the plate. Get a couple of 3-4" Toggle Bolts's with the folding wings. The toggle bolts work perfect on Audi's grille because the can latch thru it- easy to install and remove. Less than 30 seconds when you get it figured out.
The hole on each side of the plate is so the pressure when using the toggle's to the grille is evenly displaced. You can also hotmelt a license plate frame to the license plate.
No damage, looks better than the audi plate holder, easily removable.
Do you happen to have a photo I can see of your installation? I'm getting my new license plates today. Thanks!
Old 05-09-2013, 04:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Cme42thdk
Do you happen to have a photo I can see of your installation? I'm getting my new license plates today. Thanks!
This is for my A6, same concept. Hope this helps.
Attached Images  
Old 05-09-2013, 06:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by sssdaniel
This is for my A6, same concept. Hope this helps.
Put a ding in the threads near the end with a side cutter or hammer. It keeps the toggle from spinning off the bolt and getting lost. If you can find Phillips head 1/4-20 bolts, they are a lot easier to spin with the screwdriver.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Mission accomplished!

My engineer buddy took it as a personal challenge to come up with a simple solution to the front license plate mounting issue on the S7. See the attached photos as we bought a simple plastic mounting plate and 2 hose clamps which wrapped around the bracket and grill with NO holes made anywhere to damage the grill or paint. We cut off the excess from the hose clamps, then attached the plate and frame to the secure bracket. Total cost for the parts... Under $10!
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Front license plate