S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

Retiring for the winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retiring for the winter

I'm planning to retire my S7 for the winter. The car will be in my garage.

I would like your advice regarding what I need to know regarding periodic starting/driving the car during these months. One the snow comes it's going to be difficult to get the car out.

Last winter I had an issue in which a mouse decided to take up residence in the engine. No major damage but I got lucky.
Old 11-04-2013, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by meridian
I'm planning to retire my S7 for the winter. The car will be in my garage.

I would like your advice regarding what I need to know regarding periodic starting/driving the car during these months. One the snow comes it's going to be difficult to get the car out.

Last winter I had an issue in which a mouse decided to take up residence in the engine. No major damage but I got lucky.
Don't start the engine, unless you are able to take it for a drive and get the fluids completely warm (which defeats the point of parking it). Multiple cold starts will dilute the oil with fuel and create unnecessary wear and tear on the cylinder bores and moving parts.

Put fuel stabilizer in, fill the tank (to prevent condensation), pump up the tires (about 10 psi over normal) and park the car completely warm (so that water vapour doesn't condense in the exhaust system). If you have mice, put steel wool in the intake snorkel and all four tailpipes (mice cannot chew through steel wool, but cloth or other materials present no real barrier).

Either change the oil just before you park it or just after you take it out again in the spring. Put leather conditioner on the seats and other interior bits. Wonder why you didn't just put some winter tires on it and enjoy one of the best winter vehicles extant.
Old 11-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the advice

If I don't cold start and run the engine won't I have dead battery issues?

What did you mean by "park the car completely warm"? Do you mean in a warm garage or after the engine temp has risen?

I wasn't planning on getting winter tires but maybe I should reconsider.

I know that the tires I have now are not suitable for snow conditions. I also remember the dealer telling me they aren't safe to use below a certain ambient temperature. What is your feeling about that?
Old 11-04-2013, 06:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought winter tires and wheels for the S7 and plan to drive it all winter. The Quattro is the best all wheel drive system for winter driving and if you have winter tires you cannot do better. The tires are not only for snow, they're for cold weather. Summer tires are not suitable for cold weather - but I think they're fine as long as temps are generally a bit above freezing. I'm planning to switch my tires this coming weekend - I live in Boston area where it's now in the 40's.
Old 11-04-2013, 06:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

I use Decon bait boxes to control mice in the garage and out buildings.

When the bait came in cardboard boxes, I tossed a couple in the back corners and replaced them when they were chewed open. The new types are plastic sealed so I make a small cut in one corner and the mice will tear it open when they find it. The mice eat it and leave the building to find water.

I have also used traps in coffee cans outside around the perimeter. The cans shelter the traps from the weather and keep curious dogs and cats away from the business end.

You could get a set of all season tires and use the car between winter storms. Put the battery on a trickle charger to keep it full between outings.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tenspeed is right - get a battery maintainer (the kind that only charges once the voltage drops below a certain threshold).

What did you mean by "park the car completely warm"? Do you mean in a warm garage or after the engine temp has risen?
I mean that the engine should be completely warm. Preferably after a good, long drive (stopping at the car wash on the way home).

I know that the tires I have now are not suitable for snow conditions. I also remember the dealer telling me they aren't safe to use below a certain ambient temperature. What is your feeling about that?
The OEM summer tires will take on the consistency of a hockey puck in cool (not even freezing) temps and will certainly kill you (I'm only slightly kidding). If you plan on driving in the winter, get another set of wheels and put good winter rubber on them. All-seasons (which I call no-seasons) will not be nearly as good and are a waste, considering you already have summer rubber. My preference is Nokian tires and there are several threads discussing the best choice (there's one in the S6 forum that's quite recent).
Old 11-05-2013, 04:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the advice

Get a trickle battery charger. I had my 2008 S5 for 5 years and most time, it stayed in the garage for the Winter. Only had 8,000 miles when I traded her in for my S6 for more family space while still keeping the sportiness. I decided not to make my S6 a garage queen and got Audi Winter wheel and tire package. Drive her last Winter and love the traction I experienced in a couple of bad Winter storms on the freeway.

Had an A4 with a sports package many, many years ago. Unwittingly, I drove the sports tires in the Winter and while trying to stop in the parking lot after going at ONLY 10-15 mph, the car slid for 60-100 feet before actually stopping.

Advice - get a Winter wheel and tire package and drive that S7. Just be sure to wash the car more frequently to keep the salt off and your car will be the cleanest looking on the road. OR, it is ok to store it over the Winter until you are ready to maximize use of your baby.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

OK, I'm convinced and will purchase all weather tires and rims. I'll get a trickle charger for the weeks of heavy snow but will plan on driving the car a few times per month.

I've been reading some of the posts on the S6 forums about tires and rims. Are they the same for the S7?

It seems that I'll be paying $1000 more to buy them through Audi....is there any advantage to doing so?

If I buy the rims and tires on my own, are the rims for all weather tires the same as I have now?

There was some mention in the other forum about where the wheel balancing weights are placed. Is this just a cosmetic issue or do I have to speak to the place I mount the tires about this?

Thanks for all the replies
Old 11-05-2013, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

OK, I'm convinced and will purchase all weather tires and rims. I'll get a trickle charger for the weeks of heavy snow but will plan on driving the car a few times per month.

I've been reading some of the posts on the S6 forums about tires and rims. Are they the same for the S7?

It seems that I'll be paying $1000 more to buy them through Audi....is there any advantage to doing so?

If I buy the rims and tires on my own, are the rims for all weather tires the same as I have now?

There was some mention in the other forum about where the wheel balancing weights are placed. Is this just a cosmetic issue or do I have to speak to the place I mount the tires about this?

Thanks for all the replies
I think your making this too complicated. First, S7 rims are different than other models due to the massive brakes. Take off OEM wheels (basically new) are common from a number of sources and are much cheaper than buying new from Audi. My S7 came with 19" wheels. I put winter tires on the 19" wheels and bought a new set of take off 20" OEM S7 wheels on ebay at a huge discount and use those for summer tires. All wheels were balanced with no issues on weight placement. As mentioned before, driving on performance tires below 40F can be life threatening for sure, no exaggeration. I drove my GT3 once with performance tires at 35F and was not sure I was not going to make it home. Never will I do that again.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by mikemdd
I think your making this too complicated. First, S7 rims are different than other models due to the massive brakes.
The S6 and S7 have the same brakes. The offset might be slightly different between the two, but wheels from one should fit the other.

Quick Reply: Retiring for the winter