S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

4.0T Turbo Failure, with filter revision G installed

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2021, 09:26 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Default 4.0T Turbo Failure, with filter revision G installed

PSA for everyone that there is a chance the updated filter (079115175G) may still blow turbos. Keep reading for more info:

So I'm doing a bunch of service on my new (to me) 2013 S7 and I pulled the turbo intakes to see what condition the turbos were in – they were basically totalled, tons of shaft play in every direction.
When I took out the turbo oil strainer, I noticed it was the new 'Revision G' part number. What's odd is that is the updated part number that was supposed to fix the oil strainer issue.... Is this evidence for the contrary?

Note that I have limited information regarding the servicing before I got it. However I do know that the filter was at one point updated to the new part number, as whoever was last in there broke a bunch of connectors and dropped a ratchet down the engine that I found LOL, plus the filter is the updated part number that was not available in 2013.

Here are my thoughts to why my turbos could have failed:
- Filter revision G still clogs up and starved the turbos of oil
- When the previous mechanic replaced the filter, the turbos were already in this really bad condition, and we assume they didn't get worse over time. However, this means that the last mechanic saw failing turbos and didn't replace them... which is hard to believe.
- When the last mechanic was in to do the service, the turbos may have looked fine, yet something inside them was broken beyond repair that caused inevitable damage down the road regardless of if the new filter works or not.

Any thoughts to what could have happened? If it truly is the case that this revised part number doesn't work, that is truly bad news for everyone who had their car updated to satisfy the TSB.

I will be installing the JHM filter relocation kit, as IMO that is the only option that guarantees no issues. I'll also be installing the CTS Turbo RS7 Supercore kit, as well as their high flow downpipes paired with an APR stage 3 tune.

Last edited by woodepic; 02-03-2021 at 09:29 PM.
The following users liked this post:
09S5 (08-23-2021)
Old 02-04-2021, 11:32 PM
RAF_S7

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There are lots of people now removing these filters completely, and not replacing.

A number of the aftermarket turbo guys won’t warranty their units unless these filters are removed (SRM are the main ones pushing this). Plenty of info on the Audizine forum
Old 12-10-2022, 04:55 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So did you do the install of the JHM and the CTS turbo?

Old 12-12-2022, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Peejoe
So did you do the install of the JHM and the CTS turbo?
Yup! Although the CTS Turbo turbo chargers actually died shortly after installing. The CTS turbos had suspiciously large shaft play when brand new, so we’re assuming it was just low quality turbos to begin with.

I also actually just took out the JHM oil strainer (kit is still installed) because I got tired of cleaning out the filter all the time. Also I replaced my faulty cts turbos with IHI rs7 turbos, and with this setup I’ve had zero issues after 20,000km.

honestly I’d just remove the strainer all together. It’s easier, cheaper, and it’s known to be safe long term.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by woodepic
Yup! Although the CTS Turbo turbo chargers actually died shortly after installing. The CTS turbos had suspiciously large shaft play when brand new, so we’re assuming it was just low quality turbos to begin with.

I also actually just took out the JHM oil strainer (kit is still installed) because I got tired of cleaning out the filter all the time. Also I replaced my faulty cts turbos with IHI rs7 turbos, and with this setup I’ve had zero issues after 20,000km.

honestly I’d just remove the strainer all together. It’s easier, cheaper, and it’s known to be safe long term.
Hello, how often did you clean your filters on the JHM? I just did mine after 15,000 miles and they still seemed very clean? Sad news on this revised OEM filter
Old 01-12-2023, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

I just cleaned mine every few oil changes, but then I got sick of cleaning it and took it out entirely LOL. Haven’t had any turbo issues since