S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

2014 s7 tire/rim choice 19 vs 20

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by um_terps
Agreed.

I once got caught in a light snow storm in my Porsche C4. It was an early, unexpected storm. Having 4 wheel drive didn't do much to help me, as I was on my summer performance tires.

You need dedicated snows, or at the least, all seasons. Personally, I won't take out a car without snows in the winter snow. Snow tires make a tremendous difference in the snow versus all seasons.

Maybe some of the new all seasons will be better, but to ensure that I don't hit someone, or get hit by someone, I want the best possible traction I can get. Swapping tires 2 times a year hasn't been that big a deal for me.

Your choice, but buying a performance oriented car, I vote for snows to ensure I can push my car year round, and minimize my risk to myself and others.
One more affirmative. Cold temps with high performance tires create plastic wheels. I tried once to drive my GT3 when temps were around 38 F and it was undrivable. It was scarey dangerous
Old 09-06-2013, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just Arrived

NOKIAN HAKKAPELIITTA R2 TIRES just arrived today. Since the R2's offer a size that fits our OEM 20" wheels, wanted to make sure they were not backordered in a few months when winter arrives.

These are one of the best winter tires made for Snow/Ice on the planet.

Can not wait to test these tires out this winter.

Cheers

Old 09-07-2013, 10:47 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have the check, however I believe I paid 1200 for 5yrs of tire protection. I'm right outside NYC and within 3months of having the car, wound up running over something. Without any problem they invoiced $400 and change ... Didn't charge me anything. You won't know if it was a good deal until the day the protection expires. I made my decision b/c I found myself always having tire issues.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pjkinvs
The roads in the NYC metro area can be pretty bad all year round but after snow storms they are worse. So swapping out probably won't help.

Just spoke with the Audi dealer. They want to provide tire/rim insurance for the term of the lease (36 months) for an additional $1500 + tax. Is that worth it? Seems high to me. Plus I believe a tire needs to be unable to hold air in order to be covered for rims.

Any opinion on the 255/40 Sumer tires on the S7 and need for the extra tire/rim insurance?

I figure a new tire and rim might cost $750 ...
My tire service ( S6, not S7..but assume it should be the same)...was $1287 for 60mo/75000miles. I 30min outside NYC... dealership was DCH Audi. Might want to give them a call if you're interested about buying the tire insurance.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I didn't know that wheel/rim insurance can be purchased from a different audi dealer than the one I leased from. Has anyone had experience with this? Audi of Huntington is asking $1500. seems a lot for tire/rim insurance for 36 months. If I can shop audi dealers for a better price I will.

I actually switched to the 20 inch wheels rather than the stock 19. The only problem I am concerned about with the 20's are hitting potholes. I do have a jeep as a second vehicle to manage in very cold weather and snow. Just avoiding potholes with the s7 and 20's will be the challenge.

Thanks for everyone's input
Old 09-10-2013, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pjkinvs
I didn't know that wheel/rim insurance can be purchased from a different audi dealer than the one I leased from. Has anyone had experience with this? Audi of Huntington is asking $1500. seems a lot for tire/rim insurance for 36 months. If I can shop audi dealers for a better price I will.

I actually switched to the 20 inch wheels rather than the stock 19. The only problem I am concerned about with the 20's are hitting potholes. I do have a jeep as a second vehicle to manage in very cold weather and snow. Just avoiding potholes with the s7 and 20's will be the challenge.

Thanks for everyone's input
I'm not sure if you can shop it around, although I'm surprised its that much. I went with stock 19s due to roads in NJ/NY. That said, as soon as I go through the tires I plan on putting a 20s on for summer and keeping the 19a for winter.

I would just call another dealer about the tire insurance, see what they say. I recall being given 30 days to make up my mind.