S7 Discussion forum for the Audi S7

2014 s7 tire/rim choice 19 vs 20

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 10:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 s7 tire/rim choice 19 vs 20

Owned an a5 Aline with summer sport 19 inch rims. Wound up bending/denting 4 rims in 5 years.
I am now ordering a 2014 s7 to lease. Looking for anyone who has had experience with the s7 with the 255/40 R19 vs 265/35 R20 upgrade being used in the Long Island nyc area? I am concerned about bending rims on the 20 however I do like the look of the 20 better than the 19. Went to a few audi dealers and was unable to,locate an S7 with the 19 inch to get an idea.
I do believe the larger sidewall should add a little extra protection from bent rims but don't want to diminish the look of the S7 with the 19 inch rim. Do the 19 inch rim/whelks look nice on an s7?

Please comment.
Thank you
Old 09-01-2013, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

What tires would perform better for the s7?
255/40 R19 or 265/35 R20. ?

Will the sidewall difference have a significant effect on preventing rim dents and tire bubbles?
Old 09-01-2013, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Pjkinvs
Will the sidewall difference have a significant effect on preventing rim dents and tire bubbles?
It will make a difference but it's hard to judge what to call significant.

The 19 inch wheels will have 102 mm sidewall. The 20 inch tires will have 92.75 mm sidewall. The difference is 3/8 inch more for the 19 inch wheels.

With the history of bent rims, I would opt for the 19 inch wheels.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:45 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yes. The 19 is what I ordered despite the fact that the 20 adds in my opinion better looks to the car. I don't plan on bringing the s7 to a track to have fun. So 19 it is and saves $1000 that can be used on the next audi lease. Who knows what audi will have in store 3 years from now

Thank you
Old 09-02-2013, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Are the roads better in the summer?

If so, you could have a set of 20 inch rims with performance tires and put all season/snows on the 19's for winter use.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The roads in the NYC metro area can be pretty bad all year round but after snow storms they are worse. So swapping out probably won't help.

Just spoke with the Audi dealer. They want to provide tire/rim insurance for the term of the lease (36 months) for an additional $1500 + tax. Is that worth it? Seems high to me. Plus I believe a tire needs to be unable to hold air in order to be covered for rims.

Any opinion on the 255/40 Sumer tires on the S7 and need for the extra tire/rim insurance?

I figure a new tire and rim might cost $750 ...
Old 09-05-2013, 02:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I live on Long Island and got the S7 with the 20" tires. Initially from reading the forums I had planned to get a second set of wheels with the 19" all weather tires. Huntington Audi service told me my current set up would be fine in bad weather with the Quattro system and not to waste my money and time doing the second set, which s a nuisance as far as storage and twice a year switching them out. I figure if we have blizzard like conditions I won't use it anyway and take my daughters suv to work! Good luck!
Old 09-05-2013, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Pjkinvs
Just spoke with the Audi dealer. They want to provide tire/rim insurance for the term of the lease (36 months) for an additional $1500 + tax. Is that worth it? Seems high to me. Plus I believe a tire needs to be unable to hold air in order to be covered for rims.
If you've had bent rims before, you would know that it usually costs around $100-$125 to have a wheel straightened or repaired. You could do a lot of straightening for $1500. Not to mention all the fine print that comes with these insurance policies including requirements. limitations and possible deductibles. If you believe playing craps at a table in Las Vegas is good odds, go for it. If not, pass. Along with all the other add-on stuff the dealer will try and sell you at delivery You will likely do better on your own.

As long as you asked about something the dealer would love to sell you, the only "add-on" I buy is Audi Care (a low profit margin service offered directly by Audi vs. the dealer) which can be a decent value if you plan on having the dealer do your scheduled maintenance. Even then, my money stays in my pocket at delivery - I wait until the 15K service before I buy it (the 5K service is already included). Paint film, coatings and tint I purchase on my own with no dealer mark-up involved and end up with better quality than typically offered. I also pass on extended warranties for the same reason as the wheel insurance; not interested investing in something where, on average, the house is guaranteed to win.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Cme42thdk
I live on Long Island and got the S7 with the 20" tires. Initially from reading the forums I had planned to get a second set of wheels with the 19" all weather tires. Huntington Audi service told me my current set up would be fine in bad weather with the Quattro system and not to waste my money and time doing the second set, which s a nuisance as far as storage and twice a year switching them out. I figure if we have blizzard like conditions I won't use it anyway and take my daughters suv to work! Good luck!
All offense intended, but the Huntington Audi service department sounds like a bunch of idiots. The stock tires on the S6/7 are high-performance summer models. As such, they turn into something akin to a hockey puck once the temperature drops (never mind whether there's snow on the ground or not, cold to freezing temperatures are all it takes). Yes, Quattro might get you going once this occurs, but it will do nothing to help you steer or brake. You'll either hit the curb at the next corner or rear-end the car that's stopped ahead of said curb.

My preference is for proper winter tires, but at the very least you need a good set of all-seasons for your winter driving season.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Agreed.

I once got caught in a light snow storm in my Porsche C4. It was an early, unexpected storm. Having 4 wheel drive didn't do much to help me, as I was on my summer performance tires.

You need dedicated snows, or at the least, all seasons. Personally, I won't take out a car without snows in the winter snow. Snow tires make a tremendous difference in the snow versus all seasons.

Maybe some of the new all seasons will be better, but to ensure that I don't hit someone, or get hit by someone, I want the best possible traction I can get. Swapping tires 2 times a year hasn't been that big a deal for me.

Your choice, but buying a performance oriented car, I vote for snows to ensure I can push my car year round, and minimize my risk to myself and others.

Quick Reply: 2014 s7 tire/rim choice 19 vs 20