S6 (C8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C8 Audi S6 produced from 2019

Spark plug change?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2023, 05:36 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by danibear
I am OK with it for DI.

If I memorize correctly spark plugs are not required to be replaced as frequently after the first replacement, per Audi maintenance schedule booklet included with the purchase pkg.

which makes sense just like first oil change.

I have the EA839 2.9TTV6 in a Cayenne. Changing plugs is not bad, mainly because the entire engine block is forward of the front axle. Unlike MB and BMW where the rearmost cylinders are closer to the base of the windshield/dash panel.

Two steps in the spark plug change that are somewhat tricky:

- wiring harness cable duct runs on top of the ignition coils. The plastic cable duct needs to be pulled off its plug-in retainer. The retainer is a black plastic chess-pawn shaped stud, over which fits a round rubber grommet. The rubber is grabby so pulling the cable duct off the stud requires evenly-applied force to avoid cracking something. For reassembly I smeared a thin film of dielectric grease on the stud and rubber grommet, and now it goes on and off easily.

- right/passenger side torque support strut - this might be different in Cayenne vs S6 but the torque strut needs to come off on the engine side. Not rocket science but plan for this and be sure to re-torque properly. M8 screw in this area is 23Nm, M10 screw in this area is 55Nm.

Spark plug torque is 23Nm, same as MB and BMW.

Ignition coil screw torque is 9Nm, nearly the same as MB and BMW who use 8Nm for the same size fastener in the same location.
Old 11-19-2023, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

chassis, thanks for sharing!

The following users liked this post:
chassis (12-29-2023)
Old 11-23-2023, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chassis
I have the EA839 2.9TTV6 in a Cayenne. Changing plugs is not bad, mainly because the entire engine block is forward of the front axle. Unlike MB and BMW where the rearmost cylinders are closer to the base of the windshield/dash panel.

Two steps in the spark plug change that are somewhat tricky:

- wiring harness cable duct runs on top of the ignition coils. The plastic cable duct needs to be pulled off its plug-in retainer. The retainer is a black plastic chess-pawn shaped stud, over which fits a round rubber grommet. The rubber is grabby so pulling the cable duct off the stud requires evenly-applied force to avoid cracking something. For reassembly I smeared a thin film of dielectric grease on the stud and rubber grommet, and now it goes on and off easily.

- right/passenger side torque support strut - this might be different in Cayenne vs S6 but the torque strut needs to come off on the engine side. Not rocket science but plan for this and be sure to re-torque properly. M8 screw in this area is 23Nm, M10 screw in this area is 55Nm.

Spark plug torque is 23Nm, same as MB and BMW.

Ignition coil screw torque is 9Nm, nearly the same as MB and BMW who use 8Nm for the same size fastener in the same location.
Thanks for the info!! Going to attack this in a couple of weeks and will post any real pains.
chassis (12-29-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Robert Schirmer
Thanks for the info!! Going to attack this in a couple of weeks and will post any real pains.
How is your attack goes?

chassis (12-29-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 12:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by dezurita07
good questions... i bought a 22 s6 june of last year and purchased the maintenance package as well. have you asked the dealership? the service department? i'd be interested to hear what their input is and hope they'd really take care of you as the customer!
As promised...... I just want to update my experience with Audi dealership about the intake valve carbon cleaning during spark plug question.

Per Audi Baton Rouge, without extra requirement/payment, dealership technician will only do what the Audi maintenance schedule instructed, nothing more (nothing less....). Meaning, without extra requirement/payment, dealership will only replace all of the six (6) cylinders' spark plugs, no additional carbon cleaning.

If you want to take the opportunity to do carbon cleaning, you surely can but need to pay...... The charge is listed below which was told by my service advice
  • $280 for throttle valve carbon cleaning.
  • $1800 for entire intake manifold (including valves) carbon cleaning.
The charge for throttle valve only is OK, but do we need to clean carbon on throttle valves? I admit I am new to DI cars (This 2022 S6 is my first ever own premium close to 90,000 MSRP car), but I only learnt carbon buildup on intake valves. Throttle valves???? Maybe some minor carbon black.

Do you experienced guys can tell me when/at what miles I will need to worry about carbon build up? Like XXX years/ XXX miles to clean carbon on XXXX parts. Thank you so much!! Audi schedule does not give a clue at all!
The following 2 users liked this post by danibear:
chassis (12-29-2023), dezurita07 (12-19-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 02:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Plugs

How is your attack goes?
Didn't get a chance yet. Had some shoulder stuff I had to get done. After the first of the year, I'll do it. Didn't have any carboning up yet. Hopefully my wife keeps her foot in it enough to keep it breathing well!!
The following 2 users liked this post by Robert Schirmer:
chassis (12-29-2023), danibear (12-22-2023)
Old 12-29-2023, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

As promised...... I just want to update my experience with Audi dealership about the intake valve carbon cleaning during spark plug question.

Per Audi Baton Rouge, without extra requirement/payment, dealership technician will only do what the Audi maintenance schedule instructed, nothing more (nothing less....). Meaning, without extra requirement/payment, dealership will only replace all of the six (6) cylinders' spark plugs, no additional carbon cleaning.

If you want to take the opportunity to do carbon cleaning, you surely can but need to pay...... The charge is listed below which was told by my service advice
  • $280 for throttle valve carbon cleaning.
  • $1800 for entire intake manifold (including valves) carbon cleaning.
The charge for throttle valve only is OK, but do we need to clean carbon on throttle valves? I admit I am new to DI cars (This 2022 S6 is my first ever own premium close to 90,000 MSRP car), but I only learnt carbon buildup on intake valves. Throttle valves???? Maybe some minor carbon black.

Do you experienced guys can tell me when/at what miles I will need to worry about carbon build up? Like XXX years/ XXX miles to clean carbon on XXXX parts. Thank you so much!! Audi schedule does not give a clue at all!

Throttle valve cleaning is unnecessary. Some oil pools there from PCV but the temperature is low so no carbonization. The service is a waste of time and money.

The intake cleaning sounds dubious. The intake manifolds on the EA839 3.0/2.9 V6 are on the outside. Pain to remove. The intake cleaning is probably a shot of carb cleaner and a wipe with a shop towel. I can only imagine what the intake valve "cleaning procedure" is. A squirt of carb cleaner, hopefully somewhere near the intake ports. Then button everything up, write up a list of recommended work, and hand the vehicle back to the customer.

Ask the dealer for a description of the intake valve cleaning method and materials used. You are not getting walnut blasted intake valves in six cylinders for $1800.
Old 01-21-2024, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Plug change

How is your attack goes?
So, I finally had time to get this done. Not a horrible job in my estimation. Passenger side was a breeze. Get the airbox out and everything is easily accessible. I did remove the coil pack ground wires to move them out of the way for better accessibility. Pretty straight forward.

Drivers side was a bit more challenging. The main thing was getting that harness cover moved enough out of the way to get at things. I was going to post some pictures but was too involved with swearing at the thing! It did take some creative pulling and moving things slightly around to get at the coils and get them out, but it is do-able. If you have some wrench skills, go for it. If not, maybe have the dealer make is daily wage.

And at 36,000 miles, the plugs looked great. Don't quit know why the recommend this at 30,000 miles, but I don't need to create any problems that are maintenance preventable. If anyone needs a tool list to do this, just reach out.

Have fun!!
Bob
Old 01-23-2024, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Robert Schirmer
So, I finally had time to get this done. Not a horrible job in my estimation. Passenger side was a breeze. Get the airbox out and everything is easily accessible. I did remove the coil pack ground wires to move them out of the way for better accessibility. Pretty straight forward.

Drivers side was a bit more challenging. The main thing was getting that harness cover moved enough out of the way to get at things. I was going to post some pictures but was too involved with swearing at the thing! It did take some creative pulling and moving things slightly around to get at the coils and get them out, but it is do-able. If you have some wrench skills, go for it. If not, maybe have the dealer make is daily wage.

And at 36,000 miles, the plugs looked great. Don't quit know why the recommend this at 30,000 miles, but I don't need to create any problems that are maintenance preventable. If anyone needs a tool list to do this, just reach out.

Have fun!!
Bob
Wow,that’s really cool sir!

How about list your tool list for this job here whenever you got a chance?

so that it will be nice reference for anyone in the future.

Old 01-23-2024, 05:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chassis
Throttle valve cleaning is unnecessary. Some oil pools there from PCV but the temperature is low so no carbonization. The service is a waste of time and money.

The intake cleaning sounds dubious. The intake manifolds on the EA839 3.0/2.9 V6 are on the outside. Pain to remove. The intake cleaning is probably a shot of carb cleaner and a wipe with a shop towel. I can only imagine what the intake valve "cleaning procedure" is. A squirt of carb cleaner, hopefully somewhere near the intake ports. Then button everything up, write up a list of recommended work, and hand the vehicle back to the customer.

Ask the dealer for a description of the intake valve cleaning method and materials used. You are not getting walnut blasted intake valves in six cylinders for $1800.
Thanks for this! And my apologies for responding late!….. too much going on at my side for the past 2-3 weeks….. was acting on moving to Houston but declined the job offer after seeing what house market could offer currently there: way too high price for way too low quality (not many are really selling), no financial gain in the new job (finding out 15% bouns is not always there, lol)

Last edited by danibear; 01-23-2024 at 06:00 AM.

Quick Reply: Spark plug change?