S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

TPMS Or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 10:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeS6
I had a Chrysler SRT8 a while back and that had a TPMS system interface which would digitally read out the tire pressure (exact PSI) of each tire right in the dash display. Now that was useful. To be totally honest I would have thought that S6 being more of a higher end sports sedan, would have a integrated system like that, I was disappointed to find out, unfortunately, no.
I agree. I had a 2006 Infiniti M45 that had a tire pressure page on the display with actual psi values. It was fantastic. I was disappointed that my 2014 S6 didn't have this feature.

I added one of these and it works pretty good. It shows the individual tire pressures on an app on my iPhone.
https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOTIRE
Old 02-23-2016, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JohnnyG0925,
Thanks that's actually kinda. a cool little gadget. Now I have to take my cheap specific S-line tire caps off though... ;-)
Old 02-23-2016, 03:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I see no reason to know the exact pressure if the sensor system has sufficient accuracy to show deviations that should be adjusted.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Schalliol My good S6 friend, "Deviations that should be adjusted" as you have said, is a relative statement. I'm unclear as to what the variation in tire pressure(exact PSI difference) is to trigger a warning. I was mentioning that all of my recent cars seem to have a HUGE Gap between proper PSI, and actual PSI. I'd say a "notable" loss: which I would define "notable" as like 4 or 5 lbs. Should trigger a warning. But I've noticed all TPMS systems see to trigger a warning when you loose like 20lbs...lol.

As we all know proper tire pressure is so important. We've got people posting MPG forum posts, and Winter tire switch out posts. Yet one of the single largest things you can do to ensure good/proper MPG, and overall driving safety is to ensure proper tire pressures. Kinda like a 747 making sure that all 4 engines are maintaining the same and proper thrust to maintain safe, fuel efficient flight.

There are "statistics" that report that just a few Lbs. of variations in PSI can result in HUGE year end fuel consumption rates, etc.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If it is a huge gap, I agree that you'd want to know when out of sync, and yes, the right PSI is important for the reasons you said. Expect some variation in areas where there are big temp swings anyway. Does anyone have stats on the swing these cars tolerate? If there is a spec that's good and the car doesn't do it. Take it to the dealer.

If the swing isn't sufficiently large, no need to see the PSI.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

These are alternate options I looked into. Two of which I installed looking for a solution I liked, and another I'm researching.
Attached Images    
Old 02-23-2016, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by schalliol
I see no reason to know the exact pressure if the sensor system has sufficient accuracy to show deviations that should be adjusted.
Sounds like you never had a car with pressure indication. It spoils you. It is far more useful that the warning indication only, which I have never found very reliable.
Old 02-23-2016, 09:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

A full disclosure TPMS will give you tire pressure and tire temp. This is a good indicator to let you know if something is wrong with your tires when you see large deviation in tire temperatures. Either there's a puncture in changing tire temp, or a misalignment, or badly balanced wheel or improperly tightened wheel onto rotor which all can cause hotter friction temperatures. Technology is great but you also have to know how to use/read the signals for it to be effective.
Nobody Panic!!
That's just my opinion.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 102 Likes on 81 Posts

So, what did you use to get the pressures to display in the MMI?
Old 02-24-2016, 04:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 19hole
So, what did you use to get the pressures to display in the MMI?

+1 (what he asked.)

Quick Reply: TPMS Or Not?