S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Throttle delay...lag...whatever, is driving me nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 04:18 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dannybear
I raised the issue when I dropped the car off for the fuel line recall. Took him for a drive and got him to watch my right foot and feel the delay in the car response. When i picked up the car they said they did the gear box upgrade and se how it goes (fixed the 3rd to 2nd hard shift) but it didnt fix my issue. When i drive the wife's Volvo S60 T6 (twin turbo 6cyl) the response through corners is immediate and consistant. I tried to disengage ASR & ESP today and it doesnt help. If I provide more throttle, all that happens is that the car launches hard 1 second later when it provides the power. I am 3000km's away from my next service - sounds like its either Audi fix it or APR will.
I agree with dannybear....I definitely notice a delay off the line and even when moving 20 - 30 mph and then trying to gradually accelerate. I'm not as technical as you guys...I just call it an annoying turbo lag. My previous 535i had much less lag than my S6 has. I'll have it checked out when I bring it in for service but it sounds like its the way the car is engineered. Don't think a software update is going to help.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Glad I'm not the only one getting vocal about the lag. I absolutely hate it and it mars an otherwise fantastic car. I completely agree that it is a safety issue and should be fixed by Audi. I don't know why more people don't notice it.

If I decide to keep the car I'll get the APR tune in the Spring. I'm thrilled by the power of the car, and nearly everything else, but the lag just kills it for me. I'm on the fence about trading it in. If this is how all new Audi S Tronics are going to behave I'll never buy one again. We have a 2010 S4 with S Tronic and it doesn't have the lag at all (or the harsh downshift into second in Dynamic mode). Hate to be negative. I've owned a lot of Audis and have loved every one of them. It's so frustrating because this S6 could be STELLAR if Audi would just fix the lag and the downshifts.
Old 12-02-2013, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

I tried to disengage ASR & ESP today and it doesnt help. If I provide more throttle, all that happens is that the car launches hard 1 second later when it provides the power.
Yeah, I tried this today too. No change. As others have said, I love this car otherwise but this lag is driving me crazy. I'm going to bring it up one more time at my service appt next week, but otherwise I'm going APR.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Yeah, I tried this today too. No change. As others have said, I love this car otherwise but this lag is driving me crazy. I'm going to bring it up one more time at my service appt next week, but otherwise I'm going APR.
Totally agree. Let us know how you go with Audi. I would have gone APR already but my car has only 11,000kms and i need to work out the logistics of dealing with the warranty. Interesting that Volvo and Mercedes here offer fatory tuning upgrades but not Audi.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lag - only sometimes

The harsh downshifts were cured by the ECU upgrade. I really don't notice them anymore, which is good because my wife said that the downshifts (and possibly my driving?) were making her ill. I have yet to consistently reproduce the throttle lag though I have noticed it on occasion. I may be compensating by placing some slight pressure on the go pedal before I really take off. The car seems to need more RPM than idle to get moving. It barely rolls in drive. I wonder if they didn't keep idle RPM low to save gas? I'll need to do a systematic study, though I am sure the phenomenon is real.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Well, no sooner than I wrote if there was an inherent lag being experienced that there would be many posts here, several of you have come out of the closet with the issue. It would appear it's related to the turbocharged S6 (and likely S7) 4.0TFSI - I don't recall seeing anyone bring this up on the supercharged 3.0TFSI A6/A7 forums as of yet. Perhaps over zealous turbo-protection software coding or improperly designed or a run of bad sensors?
Old 12-03-2013, 01:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

After finding out today that the APR tune is not available in Australia yet I noticed that GIAC have released a promo for theirs. Maybe this will solve our problems (with a little bonus on top!)
Old 12-03-2013, 03:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
I don't recall seeing anyone bring this up on the supercharged 3.0TFSI A6/A7 forums as of yet.
I had the 3.0T in my S4 and had no such "lag".

After finding out today that the APR tune is not available in Australia yet I noticed that GIAC have released a promo for theirs. Maybe this will solve our problems (with a little bonus on top!)
Interesting...I've heard plenty of good things about APR but have never actually used them. I HAVE used GIAC before and was VERY impressed...I won't do anything until the spring (here in the US) anyway, so hopefully GIAC is an option by then.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've experienced what we're talking about here with the S6, and I had the same experience with my 3.0T S4, and my B6 S4 before that. 3 Different engines, two different transmissions, same deal. Its a momentary lag in throttle response when turning a corner after coming off the accelerator coming into the turn. It's essentially eliminated in Sport mode, but pretty noticeable in the normal driving modes.

I don't think its a traction control thing as a result of losing traction. I've always assumed it was some programming to "prevent" traction loss before the car thinks its going to happen - like it thinks you're cranking the wheel and stepping on the gas because you're about to do a donut or something.

Just my non technical experience.
Old 12-04-2013, 06:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 192 Likes on 133 Posts

I absolutely agree and its one reason I chose the A6 over the S. My dealer was fantastic allowing me to drive a "on the lot" new S6 several times and the lag was annoying enough that it made me think more about purchasing it. I know the S6 is a faster and a better car in many respects i just didn't want to be frustrated with a new 80k car

Quick Reply: Throttle delay...lag...whatever, is driving me nuts.