S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Throttle delay...lag...whatever, is driving me nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 02:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

My car has the jerky downshifts when in S Mode, and it does take a moment for the power to kick in when I try to speed away from a stop.

I only have 400 miles on the car (2013 model), so I doubt that I have the TSB. Will inquire about that at the first service.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
My car was in for a service before this TSB was available. I complained again about the jerky downshifts in 'S' mode and their solution was a Transmission Adaptation. I would say that it's about 80% better than it was (still the occasional clunker going into 2nd, but much improved). Maybe the answer, for those getting the TSB, is to request a Tranny Adaptation be performed right after the update.
+ 1.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This has been discussed at length previously and yes I (and most others) experience it too. An aftermarket tune supposedly addresses this. I haven't had any TSBs done to confirm whether Audi changed anything.

It seems to happen when you get on the gas right after braking. You basically learn to anticipate it and I've adjusted by either expecting it by not getting into a situation where I need the power, or try to brake early enough that by the time I'm ready to get back on the gas the required couple of seconds have passed. This certainly is not ideal, but is better than finding out while you're trying to scoot into or across traffic.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Is your two second lag when you are in Sport mode? There is some lag for me but nothing close to 2 seconds. Maybe it is that bad in comfort mode but since I hardly drive in that, and don't stomp on the gas in that mode it would be a lot less noticeable.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
Is your two second lag when you are in Sport mode? There is some lag for me but nothing close to 2 seconds. Maybe it is that bad in comfort mode but since I hardly drive in that, and don't stomp on the gas in that mode it would be a lot less noticeable.
I have everything set to Dynamic, and have gotten in the habit of consistently shifting into Sport when I am at a stop sign/light. I still have a pronounced delay even when applying "aggressive" amounts of throttle. Late '13 build, 5k service is Tuesday, I'll see what TSBs may apply.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gatorguy7
I timed my lag today -- it is about 3/4 of a second when you punch on the gas from a stop, and 1/2 a second when accelerating when driving. All of this is when the transmission is in Comfort mode (not S mode.)

When in S mode, the lag is almost eliminated.

I learned that throttle lag is a major issue with BMW M5s as well -- it is all over the BMW forums. Must be some gas-saving thing.

I talked to the Audi service writer, he had not had anyone complain about it yet.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
I timed my lag today -- it is about 3/4 of a second when you punch on the gas from a stop, and 1/2 a second when accelerating when driving. All of this is when the transmission is in Comfort mode (not S mode.)

When in S mode, the lag is almost eliminated.

I learned that throttle lag is a major issue with BMW M5s as well -- it is all over the BMW forums. Must be some gas-saving thing.

I talked to the Audi service writer, he had not had anyone complain about it yet.
Definitely agree. My wife's 2010 M5 has lag as well. No turbos on that engine to spool up or cause 'turbo lag'. I concur that it is some kind of programming from the factory which is evidenced by it completely disappearing with a tune.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DeerHunter
My car was in for a service before this TSB was available. I complained again about the jerky downshifts in 'S' mode and their solution was a Transmission Adaptation. I would say that it's about 80% better than it was (still the occasional clunker going into 2nd, but much improved). Maybe the answer, for those getting the TSB, is to request a Tranny Adaptation be performed right after the update.
Can u perform tranny adaptation using Vag tool instead of scheduling visit to a dealer?
Old 08-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by GermanGarage
I find the lag is much longer after I just come to a stop and immediately attempt to accelerate. It happens every day I drive to the top of my street, stop to look both ways and then turn left. Two seconds would be on the conservative side; it's probably closer to three seconds.

With longer stops the lag seems diminished, probably around the 1/2 to 3/4 second second as GermanGarage experiences.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ellisinA4
Can u perform tranny adaptation using Vag tool instead of scheduling visit to a dealer?
No idea, I'm afraid. It's certainly possible, but so far undocumented.

Quick Reply: Throttle delay...lag...whatever, is driving me nuts.