S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Throttle delay...lag...whatever, is driving me nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
I'm sorry that you feel it can't be ESP-related when there is a TON of anecdotal evidence (including my own first-hand) which says it can be:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1430531
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1421151

I freely admit that I'm not driving your car and therefore cannot be experiencing exactly what you are... However, I'll say again that I had the opportunity to drive almost the exact same car for more than a year without ESP, then with ESP (for 12+ years). I *can* say that I experienced symptoms which seem to me to be just like what you described when I switched from a non-ESP to an ESP car.

I can't find all my old postings, but I can tell you that several of those "hard corners" are from a standing start. The computer in my '01 is pretty darn good at detecting wheelspin before I can - I've got to believe the '13s and '14s are better. Maybe they're overly aggressive - certainly most of us felt that was true even back in '01 - but I don't agree with your assertion that the behavior "can't be" due to ESP.

I still suggest you do some experimentation if you'd like to understand what's going on, perhaps you will prove my theory wrong. If you don't want to understand, then I certainly can't do much to help you.
I think one of the key characteristics is that all tuned owners either report this lag disappears or drastically improve with a ECU. A tune doesn't affect any of the systems you are talking about and if anything should worsen with more torque.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:50 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Richard Solomon
I'm sorry that you feel it can't be ESP-related when there is a TON of anecdotal evidence (including my own first-hand) which says it can be:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1430531
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=1421151

I freely admit that I'm not driving your car and therefore cannot be experiencing exactly what you are... However, I'll say again that I had the opportunity to drive almost the exact same car for more than a year without ESP, then with ESP (for 12+ years). I *can* say that I experienced symptoms which seem to me to be just like what you described when I switched from a non-ESP to an ESP car.

I can't find all my old postings, but I can tell you that several of those "hard corners" are from a standing start. The computer in my '01 is pretty darn good at detecting wheelspin before I can - I've got to believe the '13s and '14s are better. Maybe they're overly aggressive - certainly most of us felt that was true even back in '01 - but I don't agree with your assertion that the behavior "can't be" due to ESP.

I still suggest you do some experimentation if you'd like to understand what's going on, perhaps you will prove my theory wrong. If you don't want to understand, then I certainly can't do much to help you.

I appreciate you have experienced ESP restricting the engine to maintain stability. Your links seem to be discussing this feature. I dont mind this feature as a safety backup to protect everyone's limited driving capabalities. I have experienced ESP on my S6 many times both on the track and off, both dry and wet and even on unsealed roads. Further I have experienced ESP on my previous cars some of which offer the driver to turn the feature off and i am aware how much they vary depending on programming and how over time they are getting more refined. I have no issue with this feature. In sports mode it allows more slip before assiting which is great. Some may have an issue that its cutting in too early and want more sideways action before intervening however thats not this issue. My issue is that i can press the accelerator at any level (nowhere near breaking traction - eg 10% on a dry sealed road) to pull into traffic and because i have the steering turned the engine does not repond at all in any way for a second. Thats dangerous. It then provide limited power until the steering is straightened before providing the level of power i have asked for. I agree I believe its probably intentional software and previous versions didnt have this "feature" however ESP works at the end of traction. This is delaying power way way way before traction is questioned. Maybe this is called PTC (Pro-active Traction Control - for the driver with over 300kw but i only trust you with 50kw until you straighten the wheel even though you wont break traction with 150kw. If thats the case I have the wrong car because coupled with the 1 second delay at the start its dangerous to pull into traffic. All electronic programs should be there to assist the driver to drive the car upto its limits without loosing control. I press the accelerator and the car doesnt respond at all for a second then lets you pull into traffic slowely - thats not a feature any driver wants and its definately not a safety feature - its dangerous. I could pull into traffic faster with a FWD Fiesta because even though i might get some front wheel spin i will have no delay and have all the power available. My wifes Volvo T6 is way faster in the same situation.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default This is Clearly Related to the DSG Transmission

I lived with a vicious lag issue with my first e90 M3. I was so frustrated I traded it for a manual version. I had become so frustrated with BMW's denial of a problem that I logged gas pedal position vs a bunch of vehicle parameters using a Bavtech tool (similar, but not as good as VAGcom). It clearly showed pedal movement followed by up to a two second delay before engine throttles opened. For those thinking this was stability control kicking in, data also showed (more importantly) that gear selection was not complete and clutch was not engaged. It occurred under exact same conditions as previous posters have indicated; slow speed after braking, no turn, part throttle. My personal belief was that manufacturing tolerances were stacked in the wrong direction for some cars making the problem much more severe for some owners.

If you have a few hours to kill, try the thread below. Lot's of confusion there as well from people with different problems.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=dct+lag+issue
Old 01-04-2014, 08:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I was making my left turn into work this morning, and there was no traffic so I decided to mess around with this issue.

I slowed down and turned the wheel hard, and then hit the gas harder than I normally do. There was a brief pause where nothing happened, and then I felt the car downshift, and then boom the power kicked in hard. I still had my steering wheel turned and had not allowed it to return towards center yet.

Therefore, I must retract my previous statements about thinking the steering wheel angle had something to do with it. My experience this morning showed me otherwise.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Can anyone definitively say this lag occurred to them in 1st gear when in manual mode? I cannot reproduce it in that setting. This leads me to believe it's an issue with gearing being too tall for the situation. The DSG just doesn't kick down to 1st unless the car is at a complete stop for at least a second.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Chill
The DSG just doesn't kick down to 1st unless the car is at a complete stop for at least a second.
This is what I am starting to think myself. The car seems to hesitate slightly before deciding to downshift.
Old 01-04-2014, 03:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Can anyone definitively say this lag occurred to them in 1st gear when in manual mode? I cannot reproduce it in that setting. This leads me to believe it's an issue with gearing being too tall for the situation. The DSG just doesn't kick down to 1st unless the car is at a complete stop for at least a second.
Going to test it now.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

This could all be symptom of the TSB that was applied to the transmission module to make downshifts less harsh.

I noticed even in my A6 in D mode there is noticeable lag even in the highway. I'll add 10%-25% throttle to pass, merge etc and it'll take a bit before the transmission downshifts and the power comes on. If I'm in S or M it responds much quicker, though the shifts are a bit harsh.

Maybe it's just a trade off.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I ran the same course yesterday in sport dynamic and in manual. There is ZERO lag in throttle response in manual. Sport dynamic mode had some lag coming out of corners.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Xtek
This could all be symptom of the TSB that was applied to the transmission module to make downshifts less harsh.

I noticed even in my A6 in D mode there is noticeable lag even in the highway. I'll add 10%-25% throttle to pass, merge etc and it'll take a bit before the transmission downshifts and the power comes on. If I'm in S or M it responds much quicker, though the shifts are a bit harsh.

Maybe it's just a trade off.
I haven't had the TSB done and this was present since day one since owning the car for most people.

Quick Reply: Throttle delay...lag...whatever, is driving me nuts.