S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

S6 winter driving??

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2016, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S6 winter driving??

I just bought a new Q7 for the wife, looking at the S6, those that have the S6 and have to drive in the snow during the winter, how do u rate this car in the snow? Thanks for your help
Old 03-05-2016, 04:50 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 517 Likes on 452 Posts

With proper winter tires...unstoppable like all Audis.
The only drawback might be ground clearance.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Exactly what gk1 said.
That being said, most 2016 S6's are going to have summer tires on them. I'd estimate that 85% of the S6's on dealer lots/inventories are going to be optioned with summer tires. You'll never get stuck if you have summer tires on your car and you get caught in the snow. Braking and handling will be very much reduced. If you drive like a moron you will wreck your car, etc. If you drive like a grandma on decently plowed/sanded roads you'll be fine.

I like to speak out when people talk about winter tires on a car like the S6. If you get caught in a storm, and you don't live in northern Canada... haha. You can drive your car around cities and towns with relatively decent plowing & sanding practices, even with the summer tires on the car. You MUST however drive overly slow, and careful, and keep in mind the fact that you have summer tires on the car, and you must drive very cautiously.

You should get a nice set of winter tires and wheels on the car before the winter season begins, that way you don't have to worry about snow/ice/cold at all.

Last edited by MikeS6; 03-05-2016 at 05:33 PM.
Old 03-05-2016, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

We lived in the Syracuse area for 3 winters...last winter there we saw 188" of snow fall. I've been in 3 white outs in our S6.

Equipped with the Audi winter wheels and tires, the car was un-stoppable in these conditions.

The other car (A4) did well...but something about the S6 made it more sure-footed (probably the extra weight).

Remember - nothing (short of studded tires) does well in icy conditions.

YMMV
Old 03-05-2016, 05:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cool, thanks. Right now I have a 2015 Jeep SRT, and I have to get winter tires on that . Just thinking that I want a faster car and seeing as I just bought a new Q7 for the wife, I might as well be a Audi owner too.
Old 03-05-2016, 07:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Unstoppable" is not a term that inspires confidence when talking about winter driving.
Old 03-05-2016, 08:22 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Lol. You know what I meant...
Old 03-05-2016, 08:36 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by MikeS6
Exactly what gk1 said.
That being said, most 2016 S6's are going to have summer tires on them. I'd estimate that 85% of the S6's on dealer lots/inventories are going to be optioned with summer tires. You'll never get stuck if you have summer tires on your car and you get caught in the snow. Braking and handling will be very much reduced. If you drive like a moron you will wreck your car, etc. If you drive like a grandma on decently plowed/sanded roads you'll be fine.

I like to speak out when people talk about winter tires on a car like the S6. If you get caught in a storm, and you don't live in northern Canada... haha. You can drive your car around cities and towns with relatively decent plowing & sanding practices, even with the summer tires on the car. You MUST however drive overly slow, and careful, and keep in mind the fact that you have summer tires on the car, and you must drive very cautiously.

You should get a nice set of winter tires and wheels on the car before the winter season begins, that way you don't have to worry about snow/ice/cold at all.
Summer tires are not very good below 40. The rubber gets hard and you can actually feel the loss of traction on clean dry roads. If you are equating it to driving as slow as you might on a flat tire....well then maybe. It's technically possible but highly dangerous. At the very least go for an all-season. I know plenty of people who thought they'd be "fine" with summer tires in the winter and ended up in the curb...luckily not worse.
Tire Tech Information - Don't Drive Summer Performance Tires in Cold Temperatures
Old 03-06-2016, 02:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Winter tires make the car fantastic in the snow. While on that subject I strongly advise against Bridestone Blizzaks on the basis of the loud roar they make at all times. They perform great but the sound (which evolves into a train like drone at higher speeds) is so bad I'm surprised they are even on the market.

I seriously thought I had a bad wheel bearing or damaged CV joint. It's that bad.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

On winter tires it would be outstanding (in comfort mode, otherwise you won't have the ground clearance). On All Seasons, specifically Continental DWS (not the 06 version), it was really good, which is to say better than my Infiniti was on the same rubber. In light snow I'd say it was more planted than my wife's BMW X3.

Quick Reply: S6 winter driving??